Windows Vista Supercharged !!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cov

Windows Vista Supercharged !!

Post by Cov » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:06 am

Hi volks

I am always trying to understand my OS as good as possible (not sure about the other way around though), so almost every day I discover some secret function / feature and collect what is worth remembering in my eyes into one single document.

I call it Vista Supercharged, YAY !

It's kind of a customization and therefor not apply to everyone.
But for anyone who's interested in my little notes, here is the download of the doc:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?injyghjmmnj

* I shall be greatful for any additional suggestions for what I could still add to the collection please. :wink:
Last edited by Cov on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:37 am

Any chance you could put it into txt or pdf format as well? Would save me downloading OpenOffice.

Cov

Post by Cov » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:22 am

Here is the refined PDF version of my guide ...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?injyghjmmnj

I'm curious about your feedback.
Last edited by Cov on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:31 am

It really is a personal customization, and IMO, things like these should not be suggested without detailed information as to what you're doing.

Disabling the Vista indexing means you have no more instant search. I personally use this feature several times per hour (as do most of my friends and family), so disabling it would be actually impacting performance.

Disabling services has also been shown to have zero impact on actual working performance of the system. Review sites that do benchmarking tests install a plain-jane copy of Windows, install the latest drivers, and start testing. No tweaking or fiddling with the systems. Run benchmarks before tweaking and after. Check your FPS in games. You'll probably see no difference whatsoever.

Disabling debugging information only applies if your system has a BSOD. Why would you disable something that might help you identify a problem? This tweak does absolutely nothing for a system that's running stable. Instead, leave that setting as is and follow this guide for creating a memory dump. Once that's done, people can actually help you figure out what's going wrong. I've used crash dumps like this to discover that the XP Catalyst drivers cause a bugcheck (BSOD) if they try to change the power state of an HDMI connected monitor/TV.

Cov - Sorry if I seem like I'm trashing your work, but "tweak guides" like this are part of the reason I've had a lot of computer repair work in the past few years. The tweaks are undocumented, and mindless users follow them in the hopes that they'll make the system "oh wow" faster - but in the end, something doesn't work and they can't figure out why. If you're going to post a guide like this, please write what each change does and how it will affect the system performance and behavior. That way people can read what it does and decide for themselves if it's a good idea or not (indexing service for example).

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 am

I would say that on slower systems tweaks like those could make a difference, albeit a small one. While they`re not using a significant amount of today's cpu resources, the indexing and disk optimizing services can really stress the disk drive at times. It does add up.

Personally, I`m using a customized xp installation and I would never go back. It took some time to iron out the bugs, especially when it comes to wireless connectivity, but the end result was worth it. It`s nice seeing an OS adapted to your needs on first boot.

Koomoo

Post by Koomoo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:16 am

i agree with Nick
You shouldn't be "tweaking" stuff if you don't know what it does and how it can
improve performance on your computer.
Also if a person that is not so much computer-literate "tweaked"
and a problem occurs, they would not know how to go back and change it.
Yes some tweaks will probably help improve your computers performance
but you should only do so if you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

-KooMooX

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:26 am

Koomoo wrote:Also if a person that is not so much computer-literate "tweaked"
and a problem occurs, they would not know how to go back and change it.
This is probably my main problem with tweaks like this (and the retched horror that is BlackViper's guides). People go and disable 10 services at a time, then something doesn't work.

*headdesk*

Cov

Post by Cov » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi Nick

I agree to everything what you said.

It's a personal customization which is still evolving and I'm always open for suggestions.
Yeah, haven't thought about it properly. Thought everybody who reads this knows what they're doing, but ... that's not how it is, true.

Only thing I can suggest is, to research and read as much as possible what's available on the net.
It really is a incredibly, huge source.
You need to be prepared to find contradicting information and even a lot of rubbish.
But applying some of common sense and digging through tons of explanations and experiences of other poeple, this way you can filter what you're looking for from the rubbish.
Personally I often need different sources to confirm each other before I develop confidence in it ... especially when it's important.

Having read about what every setting does, more often than not I still don't look through the way I would like to.
There's a great potential to improve transparency for us PC user !
I'd have hundreds of suggestions ... just ask me :)

Well Nick, regarding the indexing service:
Next to disabling UAC, to switch off the indexing service was the best thing I could ever have done.
I know that there're many people who defend the indexing service like as if it's their life support - but not for me.

I hate how Vista makes the HDD for ever indexing, depending of how many files there're to be indexed.
If you make good use of it - good. But not everyone uses the search as often and for those, switching off the bloody indexing is a blessing.
As I said, it's a ... c u s t o m i z a t i o n.
And for that you will always find people with different opinions about what's important and what's not.

The default settings are supposed to be for the mass, but not a one-for-all-solution.
If you like to have it the way you want it - adjust it.
But you really need to know what you're doing when you change something in your OS.
So, Nick is absolutely right that you shouldn't apply anything where you don't look through.

Matija

Post by Matija » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:21 pm

People actually use the indexing service and their first step after a fresh Windows install is not to stop and disable the service? Seriously?

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:38 am

the most important "tweak" is missing:
go to msconfig-> tab boot -> advanced options -> check number of processors, and set the pulldown to the amount of cores you have in your system.

Windows (all before windows 7) are using 1 core to startup and initializing the device drivers. By applying this setting the system can use more cores to initialize the device drivers and will often speedup the boot process a lot. As far as I know it has no negative sides.

IMHO it is a bug that it isn't turned on by default.
Windows 7 has this option enabled by default. :)

Matija

Post by Matija » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:51 am

sjoukew wrote:the most important "tweak" is missing:
go to msconfig-> tab boot -> advanced options -> check number of processors, and set the pulldown to the amount of cores you have in your system.
I thought everyone learned about that myth by now...

http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/08/09 ... -msconfig/

Cov

Post by Cov » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:36 am

Ah the myths.
Like "640 kb is all you'll ever need" ... :wink:

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:43 am

Matija wrote:People actually use the indexing service and their first step after a fresh Windows install is not to stop and disable the service? Seriously?
yeah, I am with you here.

how often do I NOT KNOW where I put my files? Like... um... 3x a year?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:47 am

sjoukew wrote:the most important "tweak" is missing:

Windows (all before windows 7) are using 1 core to startup and initializing the device drivers. By applying this setting the system can use more cores to initialize the device drivers and will often speedup the boot process a lot. As far as I know it has no negative sides.

IMHO it is a bug that it isn't turned on by default.
Windows 7 has this option enabled by default. :)
people are saying its a myth didnt have a functional 8 cores, they had a crappy 2.0 ghz dual core. If it is a myth, then the change as you say shouldnt have occured, but it did. hm. myth about it being a myth now?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:30 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:yeah, I am with you here.

how often do I NOT KNOW where I put my files? Like... um... 3x a year?
It's not a matter of forgetting where you put your files - it's about speed. How about simply typing a few words and hitting enter? It's far faster than clicking through folders or clicking through the start menu. Also, with the indexing service on, you can search through WMP and Windows Photo Gallery instantly. It takes me all of two seconds to find every single underwater picture I've got from my scuba diving trips to type in "underwater diving". It's simply not possible with "regular" browsing.

People who don't make use of it are not going to realize the benefits. Once you take advantage of them, you'll wonder how you could ever go back. :)

Cov

Post by Cov » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:37 pm

Cov wrote:... I know that there're many people who defend the indexing service like as if it's their life support ...

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:45 am

@Cov - I'm not saying it's my "life support" - El Jefe's post just sounded like... well.... FUD. As with many new features (from any program or OS), it takes time for people to utilize them to their full potential. I was also trying to point out that it's not just a glorified WinXP search like many of the "tweakers" out there claim.

If you don't want it, that's perfectly fine. The forums are a place where people can read information (not fud) and make decisions for themselves.