which cpu cooler? photos inside :)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

darthik

which cpu cooler? photos inside :)

Post by darthik » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:32 am

Hi there, i built up new computer>
E8500, P5Q pro, gigabyte gtx 260 - 216.

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... wr6dk3.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 002nl5.jpg

So i need help with cpu cooling (now boxed). I'm deciding betweem Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme and Thermalright HR-01 Plus for as silent as possible operation. I think about "tin spacing" factor mostly, because of amount of airflow needed for right function (loose spacing - hr01), but on the other side possibillity to keep cpu cool while i make some overclock (tight spacing - U120). HDT-S1283 have spacing size between above two. This is point where i can't decide - tin spacing.

Secondly which position of gpu si better (see photos).

Thanks and have a nice day

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:06 am

WELCOME TO THE SPCR FORUMS.

For your GPU, it really doesn't matter which slot you have it in. That's up to you my friend.

As for the CPU choice, the TRUE doesn't do as well as the S1283 or the HR-01+ in extremely low airflow scenarios (like the inside of a quiet PC case with under-volted fans). If I were going passive, I'd go with the HR-01+. If I were going active cooling, I'd go with the Xigmatek. I'll admit though, I am a bit biased for the Xigmatek as I own 2 of their products and they're very nice.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:43 am

Hi & welcome!

I'll post your images:

I think I would choose the HR-01 Plus as the best quiet cooler, and the HDT-S1283 would be my second choice. Either may be able to work "passively", because of their wider spaced fins, and the HR-01 Plus could be ducted with the Thermalright duct, to the rear fan. Certainly with a slow and quiet 120mm fan they will be more than enough.

All of these have plenty of cooling capacity for even an oc'd E8500, so the wider fin spacing will be quieter, since they need less air flow to work.

darthik

Post by darthik » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Nice idea with hr-01 + duct to rear case fan, but i'm afraid of collision with Modu82. On the other side every piece of hot air from case will go throught hr-01 that can't be so good. Maybe i'm wrong... it's complicated

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:09 am

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 ( or any of its variant ) with Crossbow Bolt-thru kit offers excellent quiet/price/performance ratio.

darthik

Post by darthik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:07 am

Hi.
Some time passed and i have few weeks installed HR-01, but need some advice.

Firstly i ducted it with case fan, but today i revealed it causing overheat of power suply, because of duct is too near to power supply fan and air can't flow into.

So i uninstalled duct and leave heatsink alone between case and power supply fan, but temperature of cpu is not great (almost 80 degrees after twenty minutes of 100% load).

So what i can do? I think best would be find better case with bottom position for power supply, but also most expensive solution. I read much people here using p180, p182 cases so these are recommended?

Some advice from you?
Thanks

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:12 am

Hi,

The best thing I can think of is to build you own duct that includes both the rear exhaust fan and the PSU fan.

Or, try it without the duct, and without a fan on the heatsink -- the case is tight enough in that area to act as a a "duct", and the two fans will pull lots of air "passively" through the heatsink; so you'll probably be fine.

FuturePastNow

Post by FuturePastNow » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:13 pm

Or just cut a square hole out of the duct, in-line with the PSU fan. This won't hurt CPU cooling much, that's not a hot processor.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi,

That may help the CPU cooling!