Antec Neo HE and Asus P5Q Pro

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

kasvad

Antec Neo HE and Asus P5Q Pro

Post by kasvad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 am

I've just purchased a Asus P5Q Pro, which I want to use in my old Antec P150 case, which has been running smoothly since february 2006.

Now I've put everything together, and it doesn't start. The green standby-LED on the Motherboard is glowing when the power is plugged in.

But when I press power on:
The PSU doesn't start.
No drives or fans spinning.
Nothing - silence!

I remember that some Antec P150 cases with the 430 watt Neo HE PSU had problems.

Could I expect that witn my Asus-board?
The serialnumber of the PSU is S05110060411.

Any help will be appreciated!

/K

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:47 am

Hi, there certainly were issues with NeoHE PSUs and certain motherboards, Asus in particular. Do you have another PSU you can test the board with to be sure it's OK? If not can you borrow or steal one to test with?
I would suggest contacting Antec support who will likely swap your PSU for you under warranty. Their support is usually very good :)
Regards, Seb

kasvad

Post by kasvad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:50 am

Unfortunately I doesn't have an extra PSU. That would have been my first move.

I have contacted Antec and waiting for a reply.

It's probably that stupid PSU :-/

/K

kasvad

Post by kasvad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:13 am

Hmm - and suddenly it boots!
I am curious to see if I'll experience some glitches or various reboots.

Any comments on that?

/K

plympton

Post by plympton » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:32 am

I just replaced my Neo HE recently after a few years of use. Over time, it developed a resistance to cold boots or reboots in general. Since it was on my Asus Nvidia 6150 chipset HTPC, it wasn't too much of a problem until I dinked around with Vista Media Center and various plugins (reboots galore). I just popped in an Earthwatts 380+ and all is well again.

The symptom was that it would power up for a few seconds (never even get to video POST), and then suddenly shut down. After 5-10 tries, it would eventually stick.

This was on an Asus MB, and previously it was in my P150 with an Intel 945 chipset ASRock motherboard (also not booting - as I recall it wouldn't boot at all)

All in all, I think there's something with those early high-efficiency power supplies, and my new one dropped power use in my HTPC by a few watts, on sale for like $30 at NewEgg, shipped free.

-Dan

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 am

I think MikeC mentioned in his review of the Antec Neo PSU about later revision that's free of the Asus compatibility issue. You might want to check his review here on SPCR.
IIRC, it's revision 4 and that you can check on the PSU label near the bar code.
The PSU could be dying. Had a friend's Silverstone Strider with a fried mosfet/resistor showing similar symptoms.