Advice on HW (case) for small homeserver

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

falken

Advice on HW (case) for small homeserver

Post by falken » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:59 am

Hello,

I need good advice - for 3 weeks I have tried to find out what HW to buy for my new home server.

My main question is - should I go for a barbone system or a normal case with a mATX setup...

Info about my system/home server:

Linux (Ubuntu) system running Webserver, Mythtv (mediacenter), file server and some other nice to have services are running on this system.

Today I have this system running on a AMD X2 4800+ (but 90% the time it is just sitting there with no work load.. main load is when compressing a recording to xvid.. or when I press the Firefox icon :) I am running GIMP and vmware - so ITX does not feel like an option.

The new system need to support the following HW requirments: 2 drives (no need to support more drives in future) and 1 PCI card. And I want integrated graphics...

The server is always on - 24x7

Requirments on the case (or barbone)then:

* Silent
* Good cooling

Optional (not requirements, but would be nice to have):

* Low power system
* small caseing...

I have been looking on the P182 Antec case and also the antec Solo and NSK3480 (minitower) - but I am open to other options also...

Please advice :)

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:28 am

I'd get the 3480 if you really want a mini-server. But you'll have to get creative with the HDD mounting as the stock 3.5" locations won't be the best.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:51 am

I'd second the 3480 idea, but to make it work well you should think about the following :

1. Get a Passive PSU - SPCR has one in it's reference system
2. Get an SSD for one of the drives, and a 2.5in HD for the other. Then you can put the SSD at the bottom and suspend the HD against the front (in a quiet box if desired). If a 2.5in is not practical for 24/7 operation then a 3.5in will fit against the front - it just won't be in a quiet box - so pick a v quiet 3.5in drive.

There are some creative designs for 3480 based systems on the SPCR forums, including one that blows air into the case from the back - my preference.

falken

Post by falken » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:10 am

Good good - I also like the 3480 (since it has low noise "out-of-the-box") - but was worried about the cooling of the 2 drives.

I will look in to the passive PSU - allthough I see some risks with this in regards to my cooling requirements - the system will likely have to manage the tempratures in our apartment during summer also.. :)

Thx for the tip about "creative mounting" - will look into this

The drives will most likely be standard drives... or maybe one of each.. now you got me thinking :shock:

Still I am open to other options, maybe someone has a simular system up Å„ running today

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:24 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with a passive PSU. They are only meant to work in conjunction with another source of airflow in the case. In the 3480 that is eliminated. You'll need an active PSU, but can easily find a quiet model that will suit your needs, as it will be in it's own chamber.

falken

Post by falken » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:47 pm

the confirmation comments about that the 3480 is a good case helpted me find this post:
viewtopic.php?t=52300&highlight=3480

Now I am hooked - meaning no more standard builds - my first try will likely be the 3480 case.

Here are the specs:

antec NSK3480 mATX
Asus M2N68-VM (i need to validate that this uATX fits.. not sure it is same as mATX)
Noctua NF-S12-800 - for rear cooling
Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB - (need storage and like speed)
CPU cooler: Scythe Ninja II SCNJ-2000 that I will try to run without CPU fan (i hope it will fit)

CPU - likely I will move my AMD X2 4400+ over to this new system
Same with the second drive and the RAM (2x2048MB)

The drives will be mounted in a custom way and also I will try to get hold of some good damping material for the inside of the case.

Side note - I did a sound mesure on my current system - shows arund 47 dB from 1m...

Any show stoppers ? - any last minute comments before I order?

ck8-04

Post by ck8-04 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Have you looked at the mini P180 yet? I just bought one for my low power server and I am absolutely in love with it.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:36 pm

ck8-04 wrote:Have you looked at the mini P180 yet? I just bought one for my low power server and I am absolutely in love with it.
Another very good alternative if you can get it for a good price.

FuturePastNow

Post by FuturePastNow » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:15 pm

I bought a B-stock (aka scratch and dent) Sonata from Antec's online store. $30+$20 shipping and it arrived without a scratch or a dent on it (YMMV). Going to turn it into a new home fileserver. Of course, I needed four drive bays.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:21 am

falken wrote: Asus M2N68-VM (i need to validate that this uATX fits.. not sure it is same as mATX)
Yes uATX and mATX are the same thing -- microATX. They are both just lazy ways of writing µATX, for the ASCII challenged.