Need recommendations for Intel CPU!

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

h347

Need recommendations for Intel CPU!

Post by h347 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:34 pm

Guys,

Have been doing some searching and googling but I cant seem to find the information that I require, thus I have resorted to posting a thread in search of the answers that I need.

I am setting up a file-server that will be running Linux. Basically most of the system has already been decided, only left with the right CPU now. I believe the availability of underclocking applications is very limited in Linux, so I guess I'm only left with a hardware underclock.

What is the best LGA 775 Intel CPU to run for the lowest power consumption? Does undervolting require any hardware mods to reduce the multiplier like in the old Athlon days?

Board: Supermicro C2SEE w/ Intel G43
CPU: Intel Exxx
Ram: 2x 1Gb

Please recommend any Intel LGA 775 CPU that can run with the lowest power. Thanks in advance.

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 am

If you've really been looking for your answer, then you've been looking at the wrong places. Check out the "Undervolting: how low can you go?" thread in this very forum.

QuietOC

Re: Need recommendations for Intel CPU!

Post by QuietOC » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:43 am

h347 wrote:Please recommend any Intel LGA 775 CPU that can run with the lowest power. Thanks in advance.
All the LGA 775 CPUs share a minimum 6x clock multiplier, so the minimum power differences are only due to die and cache differences. I recommend a 45nm Wolfdale--there's no big difference between the E5x00 and E7x00s. You will also want a motherboard with BIOS undervolting settings and the ability to lower the CPU multiplier.

I doubt this motherboard allows either. Also since it is both based on a high power chipset and designed for high wattage CPUs it will itself use more power than a stock Wolfdale CPU. Which makes your quest for a low wattage CPU rather pointless.

My E7200 on a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L:
999.3MHz @ 0.752V -- 47-49W Idle 54W Orthos Blend

Which is also miserable compared to what any old AMD K8 can achieve just by using a simple Windows program.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:52 am

yeah wolfdale makes for a bad undervolter. it just uses nothing when playing a game and is so low wattage just sitting there.

amd is for undervolting. intel's system has so many odd speedstep and etc, i can never figure it out. then its unstable randomly when you undervolt it.

i just said screw it and watercooled everything. I drive a higher end sports car so apparently I never cared about the environment anyways.