Computer open on desk, need CPU cooling advice thanks

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Anteries

Computer open on desk, need CPU cooling advice thanks

Post by Anteries » Wed May 13, 2009 2:35 am

Hi, would appreciate a little advice, I've had my case opened on my desk for months trying to decide what to do about my noisy CPU fan. I bought a fairly cheap Xilence heatsink and cooler and it's a bit rubbish. It had heat pipes and looked good with an 80 millimetre fan on top. I have a speed controller but unless it's on full speed my core get up to about 60 centigrade.

I bought a Ziman flower cooler which hits my RAM chips. This has made me really hesitant. I don't want to buy another one that doesn't fit. I have an MSI micro-ATX board754 running an AMD single core. It's a great little computer, but I do voice recognition and needed to be as quiet as possible.

I was toying with the idea of putting a nexus case fan on top of the heatsink as I know these run fine in the vertical position. but know this may not have enough power.

Other options may be getting a 80 mm to 92 mm adapter and putting in a larger nexus fan.

Or is there any database that anyone knows which list which CPU coolers fit into what motherboards.

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Thu May 14, 2009 1:11 am

Hi,

It would really help if ypou told us which Xilence model CPU cooler you bought: the 80mm fan is certainly a problem, but th ecooler itself may not be up to the job.

There are no coolers with heatpies and 80mm fans on the Xilence site.

Also, knowing your actual CPU would help - or at least the approx heat output.

There is no database I know of that gives the Cooler vs Mobo vs RAM compatability.

Peter

Anteries

Post by Anteries » Thu May 14, 2009 2:36 am

pcy wrote:Hi,

It would really help if ypou told us which Xilence model CPU cooler you bought: the 80mm fan is certainly a problem, but th ecooler itself may not be up to the job.

There are no coolers with heatpies and 80mm fans on the Xilence site.

Also, knowing your actual CPU would help - or at least the approx heat output.

There is no database I know of that gives the Cooler vs Mobo vs RAM compatability.

Peter
Hi Peter, took me ages to find a picture of the heatsink myself. I can see why they might have swept it under the carpet. It's no better than the standard AMD cooler.

My CPU is and 89 Watt single core AMD 64 3200 running at 2.2 GHz maximum thermal temperature 70° C.

I have the PC tuned up pretty good, you know windows XP 1.5 gb ram and minimal start-up programs. I scarcely want for anything in terms of performance. I am very fond of it.