Do any of you ever miss a noisy PC?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

limee

Do any of you ever miss a noisy PC?

Post by limee » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:41 pm

At times I do...not a really noisy one but the slight hum it'd have. Without it, I start to notice things such as noises from the outside like chirping cicadas (muted of course by my windows). Small things I do like twitter my fingers or writing on paper is more noticeable now and these noises I think are more annoying. The computer also seems like it's not even working either.
I might just uncouple some hard drives...

Kate

Post by Kate » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Hmm,

Now that you mention, I actually DO miss my noisy computer.. I used to have a Dell Optiplex, which was quite noisy, its not that I miss the noise, its more like I miss the computer..

I have used it for a long time, that lil computer shared tons of secrets, I have typed so many blogs and diaries, not to mention the creation of orkut page, the chats with MSN...

Hmmm.. the days I've spent playing FFXI in it!

Yes It was an old Dell Optiplex GX280...

lm
Friend of SPCR

Re: Do any of you ever miss a noisy PC?

Post by lm » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:33 am

limee wrote:The computer also seems like it's not even working either.
I reckon it responds to input devices if it's working?

You can replace silence by voluntary noise, like the radio for example.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:44 pm

No.

First computer I built myself used a Raidmax case with something like an 80mm side fan, 60mm rear exhaust (and actually...I think it didn't even come with an exhaust :P -- I know I eventually put a thermally controlled Vantec on there), and 4 80mm front intakes. Cheapo PSU with those--WHIIIRRRRWWWWRRRROOOOOWW...

First specific silent component I bought was an Antec Truepower 330 with the fan only headers...made a big difference.

Nudz

Post by Nudz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:20 am

I've not once missed a noisy computer. If you do there's an easy fix, turn the fans up.

Strange how you'd miss it and still be here?

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:51 am

The only time I "miss" a noisy computer is after I switch one off, not having realised that I'd been tuning it out and that tuning it out was taking a lot of subconscious effort. When the noise is gone, so does the slight tension that goes with it. So, in summary, I miss noisy computers like I'd miss a hole in the head.

Incidental noises you mention like writing, insects, birds, cars going past etc., don't bother me nearly as much as insistent or repetitive sounds. The noises that annoy me more instead are from things like my fridge, distant car alarms, or some kid kicking a ball off the garage doors underneath our flat.
Surely you mean "I might just recouple some hard drives"? :wink:

limee

Post by limee » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Kate wrote:Hmm,

Now that you mention, I actually DO miss my noisy computer.. I used to have a Dell Optiplex, which was quite noisy, its not that I miss the noise, its more like I miss the computer..
The noise was like it's voice, and it's goonee~
Hmmm.. the days I've spent playing FFXI in it!
Oh dear...of all the MMO's which require grinding...such evil...although, binding words to attacks was fun, even if people got angry from the spam in a battle D:
First computer I built myself used a Raidmax case
I personally love their cases :D
I've not once missed a noisy computer. If you do there's an easy fix, turn the fans up.

Strange how you'd miss it and still be here?
Can't turn them up in my setup hehe, though I do do have some louder fans hanging around. Yeah I don't log on as much as I used to, not like I ever posted much, but the reviews are usually done well and I do appreciate advances in efficiency. Also, the case mods and setups that posters do here are interesting, as well as helping anyone that I can.
Surely you mean "I might just recouple some hard drives"? :wink:
You're probably right, although I had in mind of uncoupling one and letting it rattle in the 5.25" bay :o

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:27 pm

I miss it.

Nothing to tinker with when they're already silent. :cry:

neumein

Post by neumein » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:51 am

*Casts level 3 thread necromancy*

Having just recently re-built my water-cooling loop, I now have 2 nexus fans @ 7v running on the radiator hanging off the back of the case. At first I thought they would be annoying, but because of the smooth sound Nexus fans have, it is not irritating in the slightest. Imagine a puppy sleeping peacefully, that kind of nice sound.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:00 pm

xan_user wrote:I miss it.

Nothing to tinker with when they're already silent. :cry:
I've wondered about this as well... My goal for example is to completely silence my PC. I really don't know what happens after that. So what do you guys n gals do after you have reached the 0dB spot?

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:18 pm

I would cheer and then try to silence that horrible sound.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:44 am

I am happy that I can hear other things now, I haven't missed the noise for 1 second. :D

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:52 am

I do miss the noise when I turn off my computer by mistake. I`ve learned to look at the light on the keyboard but it takes more effort than hearing.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:34 am

Not a bit... In my work I have to take care around 100 Works stations, ranging from Core 2 Duo e21x0 series into very old 2,4 Ghz P4's. My own work computer is Dell Optiplex and it has horrible HDD noise.

After every day I come home from work, I thank that I have my quiet computer's that work well without noise.

I am actually thinking to suspend my work places personal computer HDD... damn Hitachi DeathStar series...

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Re: Do any of you ever miss a noisy PC?

Post by new2spcr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:02 am

limee wrote:At times I do...not a really noisy one but the slight hum it'd have. Without it, I start to notice things such as noises from the outside like chirping cicadas (muted of course by my windows). Small things I do like twitter my fingers or writing on paper is more noticeable now and these noises I think are more annoying. The computer also seems like it's not even working either.
No! But I certainly agree with you that noises that were not so very obvious pre-SPRC, have become a source of irritation. Like my wife's second hand floor lamp that buzzes like crazy... or her old Thinkpad laptop with a clogged fan... her desktop is about 1 m away from mine. The list could go on.

Trav1s

Post by Trav1s » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:20 am

Like others, I don't miss it but sure notice other noises in the office, including the buzz of the fluorescent lights.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:41 am

Theory: SPCR makes your hearing better :lol:

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:58 am

LodeHacker wrote:Theory: SPCR makes your hearing better :lol:
I think it's true...to some extent of course. I can say I've become pickier than before.

colm

Post by colm » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:55 pm

my memory of computing is odd. My first pc was a compaq 5600i with reverse cooling, extremely quiet. that was in 1999. gigantic atx board now called EATX, then it was just ATX. I have mimicked it ever since. It took 5 years to catch up to the silence that one had, with a fan bigger than 120mm and full bearings, still just being found in modern cases. Skipping over the crazy setups, 7 of them since then...I have one part left for good ol days and a distinct sound that still doesn't bother me..it is 12 years old now and running at this moment: a spare 6.4 GB western digital HDD in an external usb case for backup of a single dvd disc to burn later. I have had it for 10 years. Hours unknown. Heads making the exact same noise as when it began...
Reminds me of the past games of getting a 233 ide in a gateway 2000 box to make it work with a half inch space from the front of the drive to the case,no more or no less (very bizarre if one remembers such a chore) or the case I bought so thin, the spin of the little WD bent the box, or...well there are many times of other events. USB 2 is quicker than the ata33 it started off with. kinda funny. It is my noisiest pc part left of a decade of torture.

Tricky1

Post by Tricky1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:42 am

Definitely not. :p

I remember how annoying loud things are when I start the 360.

Hammy

Post by Hammy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:10 am

Another no.

Many years ago, when I knew very little about computers, my cheapo PSU started whirring like crazy. Stuck a pencil in there to jam the fan. Blew up. I was sleeping at the time and a flash came from inside the case along with a bang.. I woke up screaming thinking a divine entity had descended from heaven and into my bedroom. It hadn't.

Strangely, that computer never worked again...

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:47 am

Hammy wrote:Another no.

Many years ago, when I knew very little about computers, my cheapo PSU started whirring like crazy. Stuck a pencil in there to jam the fan. Blew up. I was sleeping at the time and a flash came from inside the case along with a bang.. I woke up screaming thinking a divine entity had descended from heaven and into my bedroom. It hadn't.

Strangely, that computer never worked again...
Hrmms, that is strange; I blame gremlins.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Nope.

Definitely not. I don't really miss any of my old noisy computers. And not just because I still have most of them, though they're kind of sitting around unused.

I hardly miss anything about them, it's a bit shocking and surreal remembering using computers like that, not just the noise, but also all the hassles, all the things you couldn't do with them, the slowness, even the general crude aesthetics.

Though I do miss the great range of joysticks that used to be available a bit. (Yet ... I don't actually miss gaming in general)

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:43 pm

mathias wrote:Though I do miss the great range of joysticks that used to be available a bit. (Yet ... I don't actually miss gaming in general)
Hahah, same thing here! I still have my joystick from Microsoft, used to be "high end" and came with a demo of Flight Simulator, ahh great days! Too bad Vista shove off support for the game port, as I sometimes install my ancient Sound Blaster Live to use the game port for my gamepads and play 8-bit games in emulators :D

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:05 pm

I don't miss it. My last computer was a Systemax/Tiger Direct 1GHz Athlon (which is now in the basement), and man, was it noisy! My new quiet custom-built computer is so much more pleasant to be around.
My goal for example is to completely silence my PC. I really don't know what happens after that. So what do you guys n gals do after you have reached the 0dB spot?
Simple, start going for the negative dBs! That's when the computer actually starts sucking noise in. :lol: :? :roll: :shock: :)