How to arrange cooling ( new and old parts build )

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

How to arrange cooling ( new and old parts build )

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:16 am

Hi all!

My brother has realised his old AMD 64 3000+ Venice and 3 GB DDR400 with nForce 4 board with GF 7600 GT are not cutting enough for gaming nor music making. In his old build I am only using the case and rest are combination of new parts and my old parts to keep costs as minimum as possible ( and that I can get ridd of my excessive components since I have no longer that much space available )

He wants to make as quiet computer as possible, so I am poundering a best way to arrange cooling of rather hot components in basic clone case with 2x 120mm fan places and fan grilles cut off.

CPU: AMD X2 7750 ( 2,7 Ghz ) 95W TDP
Board: MSI KA9AG-Neo2 Digital (AMD 690G ) ( my old one, can support upto 95W CPU's )
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair 800 Mhz
VGA: HD 3850 256 MB with Accelero S1 rev2 ( my old one too )
HDD: Western Digital Cavial Black 640 GB.
PSU: 430W BeQuiet DarklPower Pro with FanSwap ( my old one )

Fans: 2x 800 RPM slipstreams.

Spare components reserved: 2x noiseblocker 1200 rpm dual ball bearing fans (decent with fan controller and under 7v power suplement ) Arctic Cooling Turbo Module, 1200 rpm Scythe Ninja rev B's SleeveBearing fan, Thermalright fan duct. Lot's of bitumen matt.

I am wondering if 95W TDP 7750 would be enough cooled ninja, ducted with thermalright duct into 800 RPM slipstream fan combined with Passive HD 3850. Exhaust would be 800 RPM Slipstream on case exhaust and 550 rpm S-flex on PSU.

Intake would be 800 RPM slipstream to cool quite hot running WD Black.

Is my planned plausiable? 2ndary plan is to remove duct and use Ninja's supplyment fan, which seems to be quite good, especially undervolted. Too bad that particular MSI's fan control seems to be rather poor.

Western Digital Black has very little vibration. After padding entire case with sheet's of bitumen, I am not sure if its that beneficial to soft mount it.

LodeHacker

Re: How to arrange cooling ( new and old parts build )

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:14 pm

thejamppa wrote:gaming nor music making.
Hei jamppa,

At first sight your plan looks OK, although many improvements can be made. Personally I would lean towards Intel especially for music production, but you (or your brother) can evaluate good benchmarks here: http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm. What software does your brother use for music production? Also ask him which project was his most demanding project to date.

Regarding gaming, what games does your brother play? Is there any budget limit for this project as well?

- LodeHacker

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Budget limit is pretty much used:
25€'s from Sata DVD
64€ WD Black
53€ 7750
48€ Ram

That pretty much covers the the original 180€ budget.... Yeah I know intel would have been... well better choice in terms of performance per watt but my elder brother is an avid Intel hater... *sighs*

Most demanding game he plays atm is Battlefield 2 @ 1680 x 1050 resolution ( standard 22" resolution )

Since I get use motherboard and Ninja + couple of fans, PSU and such I get a lot needed space. I have too many unused components which i want to get rid. Also that motherboard also dictated the system.

But 7750 kuma is pretty darn powerful. In some tests its pretty even with E8200 what I've looked test results. Not too bad for 60€ CPU.

It just sucks that my eldest brother already has a computer with X2 7750 with HD 4830 combo gets almost same score's in 3Dmarks than I get with E8400 and HD 4850 combo... And he paid 45% of the price I paid my game system a year ago... :P

So 7750 seems to offer tremendous performance per buck... Albeit syntehtic tests are not 100% reliable.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:39 pm

I have no doubt the AMD is powerful and I am not an Intel fanboy enough to stay away from AMD products. Current offerings though aren't as appealing, AMD basically playing catch up with Intel so it feels like a step backwards to go for AMD (although AMD is still "the" choice for many low power HTPCs).

I have a hard time believing that your brother produces music AND plays Battlefield 2. Somehow doesn't mix well :D At any case regarding case airflow and thermal issues you should be fine with your planned setup and if something doesn't work so well then isolate the problem and fix it. Simple enough I guess.

You said that synthetic tests don't do justice to the power of the AMD. With the same logic your plan looks good on paper but in reality it can possibly be a bit worse than you think. The key here is to have fun building the PC I guess, don't worry much about the concept.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:46 pm

The MSI mobo can't regulate the CPU fan header? If not, there's a 12cm fan with thermistor built-in, so when there's more heat coming through the thermalright duct the fan will spin up.

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:56 pm

I don't know much about music making, except he uses some pretty weird software and amplifators and is so in 80's electronic music.

*sighs* but still... I paid 180€'s of my E8400 Wolfendale and my Bro's get like 90% of its horsepower with 53-58 €'s... But at least I can comfrot myself that my CPU runs cooler and draws less power ^^

Even if its bit "Evil Inside" ^^

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 am

Though a bit more expensive, Athlon II X2 250 outperforms 7750 and draws a lot less power than 7750 as well. Why not get one for your brother? If cost is a concern, I'd purchase WD 640GB Blue to balance budget under your circumstance. Besides, lower power consumption means that it's easier to cool and has greater potential to silence your system. Last but not least, you don't need to worry about Ninja cooling any more!

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:03 am

X2 250 sounds good, I need to check its availability though

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:05 am

thejamppa wrote:X2 250 sounds good, I need to check its availability though
http://www.jimmspc.fi/tuote/ADX250OCGQBOX?t=false
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/popups/prodinfo.php?id=4732

Doesn't look that good :|

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:56 am

Hi, I rebuilt an old system with AMD 7750 in it. It's a pretty cool CPU, cooled fine by the 70x70mm aluminium box cooler, even overclocked to 3GHz, with the 70mm box fan at 1500rpm. I'd expect a large heatpipe heatsink to have no problem with very quiet cooling.
My Kuma 7750 rebuild
Regards, Seb