Metal or plastic dust filter?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yensteel

Metal or plastic dust filter?

Post by yensteel » Sun May 31, 2009 1:02 am

I'm a bit confused about aluminum dust filters. Being a plastic dust filter user, I don't really understand the advantages of using the other kind.

If you're confused about the ones I'm referring to, The plastic type looks like this:

And the aluminum ones looks like this:

Is it longevity? restriction/filter ratio? Durability? Style? I don't really know.

I haven't seen anybody shed light on this topic.

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Sun May 31, 2009 2:01 am

I think it just for the style. I think that those aluminum filters are much worse on every other aspect. Well maybe not for the flow... not sure about that.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sun May 31, 2009 4:33 am

I think that a foam filter would be much at blocking dust since the later tends to stick because of static electricity. The problem is that they usually are quite restrictive because of the plastic grilles that need to support them. If you can find a better way to mount them (like a custom structure) you can have the best of both worlds. There`s one issue remaining though and this is durability. Metallic meshes win hands down here.

Fawlters

Post by Fawlters » Sun May 31, 2009 4:40 am

Not having used metal filters I can't really say for sure, however it seems likely that metal filters should be easier to clean. I know from mine, the plastic ones can be a pain, although that might be due to me trying to wash them clean.

Regarding the supporting grilles, I removed most of the rear portion (The part that screws to the case) as the case has a large bulge over the fan. Depending on how into modding you are it may be possible to bend tabs from the case metal itself to hold the outer clamp in place.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Sun May 31, 2009 6:22 am

I think Ntavlas and Fawlters have pretty much hit it.

Plastic filters are more efficient in filtering for any given restriction level. That's partly because of the static effect, but also because they're three dimensional. (Same as HEPA filters).

Metal mesh filters are more robust, from a mechanical point of view, and easier to clean.

Plastic mesh filters come somewhere inbetween.

Cheers
Olle
Last edited by Olle P on Sun May 31, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

yensteel

Post by yensteel » Sun May 31, 2009 8:43 am

Thanks. Looks like I'll stick with my plastic filters then.

Just a final question: How about the 2d filters that are like the ones in the P182/P183?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Sun May 31, 2009 10:44 am

yensteel wrote:How about the 2d filters that are like the ones in the P182/P183?
I wouldn't rely on them to capture fine dust. They will catch fluff and strands. I'm in no position to judge about their restrictiveness to air flow.

Cheers
Olle

yensteel

Post by yensteel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks for the input.

utc_pyro

Post by utc_pyro » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:57 am

i've found that the plastic ones are a lot more effective, though I actually do the filter setup my self. Insted of going out and buying a filter for each fan, you can just fo to walmart and get the materl they use on window AC's to make your own.

Did it on my P180 and a few other desktops (replaced mesh filters as well) and it really does get a lot more of the fine dust without being hugly restrictive like paper-based ones I've tried.

Dxun

Post by Dxun » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Is there any reasonable way to replace the intake filters on P183 or to add some more fined filter behind?

What material/product would you generally recommend but such that it is....considerate towards the intake flow?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Dxun wrote:Is there any reasonable way to replace the intake filters on P183 or to add some more fined filter behind?

What material/product would you generally recommend but such that it is....considerate towards the intake flow?
What's the objective? Capture very fine particles?

For that I'd use some sort of HEPA filter. Those are most easily available in home department stores, the vacuum cleaner section.
The cheapish variety is to buy some high-tech dust bags (for example Swirl MicroPor, HEPA10 equivalent) and cut them up.
A more expensive way to get more efficient filters is to buy HEPA filters meant for the exhaust (HEPA12).

Cut up bags aren't very thick, so mounting them shouldn't be a problem.
The more efficient filters are about 2cm thick (folded and mounted in plastic frames) and therefore require a little more thought. I might get back on that once I receive my ordered P183...

Cheers
Olle