Scythe SFF12G 120mm noise?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

coreyography

Scythe SFF12G 120mm noise?

Post by coreyography » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:46 pm

Anyone have one of these? Do you like it?

I got it because the SFF12F was out of stock where I was buying some other stuff. Hooked it up and there is a noticeable whine I can hear from several feet away, even over my house A/C. Turning down the speed mostly reduces its frequency, not its amplitude. The Noctua NF-S12B FLX is a hundred times better; I can only hear the whoosh of air with it (in the same house A/C environment) unless I put my ear within about 8 inches of it.

It could be a bad sample, and at ~$13, it's not worth sending back (I'll use it on my GPU cooler or something). It has more airflow at max speed than the Noctus, but less at the same RPM, and way more noise. I'll probably be sticking with Noctua for now.

Thanks,
C

danielG

Post by danielG » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:31 pm

I have two SFF12D and one SFF12E. None of them whine. A whoosh is audible at or above 800 rpm. I use mine at 600 rpm.

If you value airflow above all, you might consider getting a Scythe Slipstream. Pushes more air than a S-Flex and is quieter at high rpm. The downside is that Slipstreams have an almost inaudible clicking sound that is noticeable if your PC is really, really quiet. They also become noisier if placed horizontally.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Welcome to SPCR! :D

Yeah, the 1600rpmers generally aren't recommended unless, say, you're moving away from Delta screamers which is less common nowadays. Just noticed you were initially considering the G. The 1900rpmer would probably been even less attractive if you are looking for a quiet setup, rpm regardless.

What are you trying to cool that you are looking at such high rpm fans? You may want to give it a glance at the sticky as well as the official articles.

ekerazha

Post by ekerazha » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 am

danielG wrote:I have two SFF12D and one SFF12E. None of them whine. A whoosh is audible at or above 800 rpm. I use mine at 600 rpm.

If you value airflow above all, you might consider getting a Scythe Slipstream. Pushes more air than a S-Flex and is quieter at high rpm. The downside is that Slipstreams have an almost inaudible clicking sound that is noticeable if your PC is really, really quiet. They also become noisier if placed horizontally.
Slipstream are noisier than S-FLEX at high rpms.

coreyography

Post by coreyography » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:49 pm

I really wasn't looking for a 1900 rpm fan. I wanted the SFF21F, but the place I ordered from was out of stock, and I didn't want to go through the hassle and extra shipping expense of ordering that fan from a different place (and different order) than the one I was getting the rest of my supplies from.

The noise is blade noise, not bearing. It is similar to that from a propeller on an airplane, so maybe "whine" is not the right term. It is predominantly a single frequency, though, so it's noticeable even from across a quiet room. However, in the meantime I went and listened to the MP3s of some of the top fans in the 120mm reviews. They all sound more obnoxious at 1200 rpm on up than the SFF21G. So I think I'll keep it.

It is the main intake fan for an Antec P183 with a Core i7 920 and a Radeon HD4870. I want to use it to pressurize the case, so I don't get dust sucked in from any unfiltered holes. I bought a fan controller too, so if it all stays cool enough turned down, I'll do that. Thanks for all the replies.

trxman

Post by trxman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:18 pm

will SFF21D, SFF21E, SFF21F and SFF21G make same amount of noice at the same rpm (let' say 600rpm) ?

Plasmator

Post by Plasmator » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:59 am

SY1225SL12SH - Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Jyuni 120MM Fan 1900RPM 110.3CFM 37DBA
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=26749 ... ure=Scythe

I just got three (3) of these fans to replace 4 x 80mm @ 4900 RPM. You could here those screamers 3 floors above.

The Scythe Slip Stream are a huge improvement - more air flow (high static pressure) and low noise.

coreyography

Post by coreyography » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:59 pm

trxman wrote:will SFF21D, SFF21E, SFF21F and SFF21G make same amount of noice at the same rpm (let' say 600rpm) ?
Don't know, but the G I have in a rear exhaust mounting I can't hear below about 1200-1250 rpm. 600 rpm is at the low end if its operable speed range, so if you want to go slower, you might want another model.

I'd try a Slipstream, but I'm averse to plain sleeve bearings. Probably paranoia, and they are probably fine at reduced rpm, but I'm afraid of them due to past failures. The S-Flex has a fluid bearing.