Antec HDD 'O-rings' - Any other cases which contain these?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Pipps

Antec HDD 'O-rings' - Any other cases which contain these?

Post by Pipps » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:36 am

I note that the Antec Solo includes the highly regarded, upgraded, fabric versions of the P150 rubber 'O-rings', for the HDD mounting.

Are there any other cases, from Antec or anyone else, which include this ingenious and superior HDD mounting functionality?

LodeHacker

Re: Antec HDD 'O-rings' - Any other cases which contain thes

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:15 am

Pipps wrote:I note that the Antec Solo includes the highly regarded, upgraded, fabric versions of the P150 rubber 'O-rings', for the HDD mounting.

Are there any other cases, from Antec or anyone else, which include this ingenious and superior HDD mounting functionality?
There is at least the Antec Sonata Designer, which is very similar to the SOLO and is still manufactured. It comes bundled with a NeoPower 500W PSU. Apart from these two I've not seen any case with a similar suspension system.

By means of modifying a case one can build a custom suspension system, or one can go for the easy route by sacrificing one 5.25" drive bay for a product like this, which doesn't cost much: http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/z ... ex_en.html

If you are looking for the O-rings themselves you are out of luck, because Antec don't sell them in their online store. You can however use other materials, if you are willing to build a custom suspension system. People have used Stretch Magic, clothing elastic, bungee cord, etcetera. Have a look at this and you might be enticed to try a custom built suspension system: viewtopic.php?t=19147

Pipps

Post by Pipps » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:11 am

Sir, your post is extremely helpful for me. Thank you!

What is your personal opinion on hard-drive suspension mounting? Do you find that it indeed provides a noticeable improvement over the default level of hard-drive noise?

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:15 am

Pipps wrote:Sir, your post is extremely helpful for me. Thank you!

What is your personal opinion on hard-drive suspension mounting? Do you find that it indeed provides a noticeable improvement over the default level of hard-drive noise?
I use that Sharkoon product I linked to and let's say it made my HDD from quiet to very quiet if not silent :P

Suspension does wonders, read this SPCR article if you are interested: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html (it dates back to 2002, but it's still accurate information, also don't miss out the postscript from 2008).

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 am

1.8mm Stretch Magic is cheap as hell and works great. I love the stuff =D

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:18 am

Hi,

The latest verision of the PaQ case certainly uses a rubber suspension sytem for the HDs.

It's hard to tell from the animation and diagrams on the Antec site, exactly how their system works.

The PaQ system is to provide a pair of O-rings running parallel to eachother and about 6" apart for each HD. The HD is mounted by screwing a small plastic flange onto each of the narrow edges of the HD, effectively adding two pairs of hooks to the HD, which can then be hooked onto the o-rings.

The natural frequency of the HD on it's rubber suspension is around 10-12Hz - i.e 1/10th of the typical excitation frequency (7200 rpm = 120Hz).

Peter

lurpitus

Post by lurpitus » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:00 pm

LodeHacker wrote: If you are looking for the O-rings themselves you are out of luck, because Antec don't sell them in their online store.
According to Antec's online store they sell them now:
1 set of 6 Hard Disk Drive Suspension bands for use with P150 or Solo
http://www.antec.com/Detail.bok?no=489
SKU 30052

The picture doesn't look exactly the same as e.g. in the P150 reviews.

qviri

Post by qviri » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:02 am

lurpitus wrote:The picture doesn't look exactly the same as e.g. in the P150 reviews.
Those are the new, fabric rings. They replaced the original rubber bands because those were prone to breaking over time.