OCZ ModXStream Pro

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

plympton

OCZ ModXStream Pro

Post by plympton » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Just got one - my 2 Antec power supplies were getting flakey to the point of not being usable anymore (my NEO430 wouldn't power on 9/10 times due to low-amperage CPU, and my EA380 had a short or something in it - would cut out randomly, not worth tracking down).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817341016

Anyway, this one seemed the best balance of efficiency & being modular. It's nicely built, I like it being modular (less cables), and the fan is reasonably quiet in the stock configuration.

If the rebate comes through, it'll be about the same net price as an Earthwatts. :-)

Anyway, just sayin',

-Dan

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:22 pm

Interesting post as I find myself in a similar situation.

I am in need of a new PSU because my current NeoHE 430w isn't stable enough for my recently purchased Vapor-X HD 4850. It will randomly lose video signal, and by process of elimination of other causes (along with a consultation visit to VGAforums), I believe it is PSU-amperage issue.

Your post caught my attention because there is currently a 700w OCZ Modextreme link at zipzoomfly with a $40 rebate. I was hoping to come here to SPCR and see where it falls on the silence scale.

So your 500w is fairly quiet?

plympton

Post by plympton » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Wedge wrote:Interesting post as I find myself in a similar situation.

So your 500w is fairly quiet?
I think it's really quiet, and what noise it makes is pleasant - more of a whoosh than a buzz. That big fan is nice, compared to the 80mm fans I've used in the past. Kinda wish it was a straight-through cooling solution, but it's working a-ok. I like the modular cables, too

-Dan

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:11 pm

Just bit-the-bullet and got the Corsair 520HX from Amazon. Modular. Reputation for quiet operation both here and elsewhere. It will cost $82 after the rebate.

aimless

Post by aimless » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:40 pm

I was going to get this to when it was on sale but the 3 year warranty and some other reviews I read on OCZ made reference to them using poor quality capacitors, among other things. I decided to go with the 520hz after seeing it mentioned here and reading up on it further.. I hope I'm not disappointed!