Antec Nine Hundred Two Gaming Case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Antec Nine Hundred Two Gaming Case

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:52 am

derekva

Post by derekva » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:59 am

Well...the ugly tree at Antec has certainly been getting a lot of action.

-D

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am

"the rubber/foam type material"

With the side fan position and front fan positions equiped with filters and an optical drive mounted in the top position and the two drive slot covers filled with the rubber/foam type material a then all intake air will be filtered.
Last edited by Wayne Redpath on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 am

Regarding the comparisons with the other systems (P183, Sileo, etc.)
Are you really, really sure that you can simply subtract a whopping 6 degrees from the internal temperature results of the 902 just because the outside temperature was 6 degrees higher than at the "reference point"?
That seems counterintuitive to me.
Have you done experiments in the past that confirm this (you might not have AC, but you surely do have a heater)?
Last edited by K.Murx on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:18 am

"One of the GPU fans was also spinning slower"

Perhaps the slower spinning fan and lower temperature of the lower GPU was due to the air flow path through the power supply.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:29 am

K.Murx wrote:Regarding the comparisons with the other systems (P183, Sileo, etc.)
Are you really, really sure that you can simply subtract a whopping 6 degrees from the internal temperature results of the 902 just because the outside temperature was 6 degrees higher than at the "reference point"?
That seems counterintuitive to me.
Have you done experiments in the past that confirm this (you might not have AC, but you surely do have a heater)?
In general, this is what is done with CPU heatsink testing when the results need to be compared despite varying ambient temps. It's the "rise above ambient temp" that is most often used for comparisons, which forms the basis of "C temp rise per watt" ratios. What Larry has done here is just an application of the same concept to case cooling.

You ask if we are really, really sure -- maybe not that certain, we're always open to persuasion to valid counterpoint data or arguments. This is mostly science, after all. ;)

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:14 pm

MikeC wrote:In general, this is what is done with CPU heatsink testing when the results need to be compared despite varying ambient temps. It's the "rise above ambient temp" that is most often used for comparisons, which forms the basis of "C temp rise per watt" ratios. What Larry has done here is just an application of the same concept to case cooling.

You ask if we are really, really sure -- maybe not that certain, we're always open to persuasion to valid counterpoint data or arguments. This is mostly science, after all. ;)
Alright. I can't provide data points (might check during the coming week if I get bored), so let us keep this theoretical:

A simple technical argument
If the outside temperature was lower, it is quite likely that those fans would simply spin slower. But this would not actually lower temperatures (yet noise).
Especially in the case of the dual GPU configuration, this would be a significant effect. The same argument also holds for the CPU fan if it is temperature controlled.

Now, if the temperature of GPU&PSU are similar, the rest of the system will have different temperatures, but they will most certainly not be linear related to the outside temperatures.

A rather pedantic, simple theoretical argument
The heat sources are not equivalent, because at different temperatures we will have different amounts of losses. This is probably a negligible effect.

A slightly complicated physical argument
Presume the fans are spinning with the same velocity and the heat soruces are equivalent. The case under load shall be in thermal equilibrium, which means Heat_out = Heat_generated.
In a simplified version of reality, Heat_out consists of warmer air exhausted through the back and cooler air taken in through the front.
The argument is now, that the heat "lost" through cooler air taken in is only part of the total heat loss. Thus a change in this part of the system will not change the system as a whole in the same way.

A slightly complicated mathematical argument
If we restrict ourselves to the inside of the computer case, changing the outside temperature will not change the boundary conditions of the heat equation(s) in a linear way, because there is a more or less localized intake/exhaust point. Even if we presumed the simplified heat equation for a homogenous, isotropic medium, the resulting solution will not be simply scaled because the boundary conditions changed inhomogenously.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Good review, thanks to all involved!

Maybe I'm just biased but I believed SPCR is about silent/quiet computing... ANTEC 902 certainly not the choice of silencers, but on the other hand it is good to know you try and help point at potential problems in gaming rigs, so even gamers with small silencer spirit deep in them will know whom to trust. I think that's good, so are we going to see more gaming oriented product reviews?

Also, what is likelihood of high-end motherboards dropping in your lab? ASUS P5E64 EVOLUTION, FOXCONN BLACKOPS, INTEL DX48BT2... just to name a few 8)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:24 pm

K.Murx --

Theories are hypotheses until confirmed by emprical data, so while I appreciate your comments, I know that only retesting under lower ambient temps will resolve this... and that's just not going to happen. You could just call our comparisons questionable due to non-standard ambient test conditions... but I don't they're far off. The case allows higher/greater airflow and that helps to cool hot components better, tho at the cost of greater noise, and the advantage is moot when the components don't run that hot.

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Well, at least that fans are temperature controlled is not theoretical at all.

And you do not have to retest this particular case. You just have to turn on the heating for an hour or so during the next case test and redo that test :)
The investigation of effects of different ambient temperatures do not require you to lower the ambient. This is a simple experiment, shoudl take maybe one-two hours with only ~15 minutes of human interaction required (might involve lots of sweat, though).

Should be worth doing, or not? For the sake of science!
Last edited by K.Murx on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 pm

sonic6k wrote:Good review, thanks to all involved!

Maybe I'm just biased but I believed SPCR is about silent/quiet computing... ANTEC 902 certainly not the choice of silencers, but on the other hand it is good to know you try and help point at potential problems in gaming rigs, so even gamers with small silencer spirit deep in them will know whom to trust. I think that's good, so are we going to see more gaming oriented product reviews?

Also, what is likelihood of high-end motherboards dropping in your lab? ASUS P5E64 EVOLUTION, FOXCONN BLACKOPS, INTEL DX48BT2... just to name a few 8)
You're welcome.

You're right that the 902 is not a prime choice fo silencers, but as suggested a couple times in the review, it could well be a very good case for a quiet home server case with multiple drives -- at least as quiet as a case with so many drives can be.

SPCR has begun to do more reviews of products not obviously quiet-oriented -- previous examples include the DFI LanParty JR 790GX-M3H5, HIS Radeon HD 4890 Turbo, Silverstone Raven (which was very quiet despite its over-the-top gaming look). There's just so many review offers we get of products catering to gamers that we cannot ignore them. Many gamers are in fact seeking ways to make quieter systems, and we can certainly help there.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:05 pm

Its not all about loudness but Tonality aswell. Antec Big boy is good fan. Barely vibrations quite clean sound quality without tonalities. Slight bearing growling when you hear in couple of inches away.

Still Hundred series cases have always offered excellent cooling with modest noise. Sure no true SPCRian would consider 902 for primary case but it would be excellent case for quiet gaming rig or home server as MikeC pointed out.

At least in 902 you can run CrossFireX and Sli safely without your computer sounding like AirCraft carriest flight deck during take off...

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:44 pm

thejamppa wrote:Its not all about loudness but Tonality aswell. Antec Big boy is good fan. Barely vibrations quite clean sound quality without tonalities. Slight bearing growling when you hear in couple of inches away.

Still Hundred series cases have always offered excellent cooling with modest noise. Sure no true SPCRian would consider 902 for primary case but it would be excellent case for quiet gaming rig or home server as MikeC pointed out.

At least in 902 you can run CrossFireX and Sli safely without your computer sounding like AirCraft carriest flight deck during take off...
Hey, sometimes people need to hear SOME noise to know the appliance is working or not. I remember when I helped silence my brother's rig and bought SSD for him, he asked me on first boot up whether something went wrong because there was no noise to be heard (SILVERSTONE FANLESS PSU, LIAN LI case and single Panaflo at 7V). Very quiet if not silent case 8)

Personally I prefer not to hear much noise, but maybe slight humming when I am next to computer. Also, I love seek noise of computer, makes my ears somehow send signal to my brains stating that "you did it, it's working" :lol:

Personally I will never go for SSD. No seek noise = no dice :)
Well, when I edit video in studio I must deal with SAS, SCSI; horrible noise... but somehow I miss it when I'm not working :twisted:

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:47 pm

"SPCR is about silent/quiet computing."

Yes, SPCR is about silent/quiet computing and some Gamers like their PC to be reasonably quiet and non-annoying at idle.
Last edited by Wayne Redpath on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Hmm, I wonder how this case would fare in terms of quietness and performance if you fed 7V instead of 12V to the top 200mm exhaust fan and swapped the rear Tri-Cool for a quieter Scythe or Nexus fan...

Kudos to MikeC and the rest of the SPCR reviewers for catering to a wider audience than just extreme silencers - I for one appreciate it, being one of those gamers who found this site after trying to quiet my gaming machine.

My tolerance for computer noise has decreased markedly as a result of reading this site though :roll:.

ACook

Post by ACook » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Can you add a picture taken from the back side looking at the drive bays?

all there is now is a full side on view, but theres no pic of the inside of the bays.

like http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/ima ... 13-psu.jpg and http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/ima ... eiling.jpg but facing the whole bay area.

thanks

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

ACook wrote:Can you add a picture taken from the back side looking at the drive bays?
Now on page 3.

yacoub

Post by yacoub » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Seems like a great case, i just wish it weighed more like 12lbs instead of 25. I have a 25lb case (P150) that I'm looking to replace.
The weight and footprint (size) are two reasons I'm looking to move to a uATX setup, but that generally precludes building a worthwhile gaming rig if i also want it to be quiet and cool.
Building in a mid-tower allows quiet and cool gaming but at the expense of size and weight.
Maybe one day the whole lightweight philosophy found in modern supercars will make its way to computer cases the way the flashy designs have.
:lol:

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 am

yacoub wrote:Seems like a great case, i just wish it weighed more like 12lbs instead of 25. I have a 25lb case (P150) that I'm looking to replace.
The weight and footprint (size) are two reasons I'm looking to move to a uATX setup, but that generally precludes building a worthwhile gaming rig if i also want it to be quiet and cool.
Building in a mid-tower allows quiet and cool gaming but at the expense of size and weight.
Maybe one day the whole lightweight philosophy found in modern supercars will make its way to computer cases the way the flashy designs have.
:lol:
...isn't a heavier case better? It won't vibrate as much due to much mass and so will induce less noise. Also, it is sturdier and I've learned that heavier cases can take some good beating before anything serious.

whiic

Post by whiic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:40 pm

"The Nine Hundred Two looks very much like the original Nine Hundred."

I'd say, it looks very much like a scaled down Antec 1200 instead of Antec 900. It's the size on Antec 900 and probably shares most of it's cooling capabilities with it. But when it comes to appearance and details, it's definitely downscale of 1200.

1200 has one extra 120mm on top of that 120mm present in 902. This means there's also free space between top edge of mobo and 200mm fan, allowing even more oversized CPU heatsink (though I think 902 should be able to mount pretty much any aftermarket giant heatsink). 1200 also has 3 more 5.25" slots. But... that's it. Otherwise identical. (Of course the space between mobo top end and 200mm must have an effect on temperatures.)

MikeC: "Theories are hypotheses until confirmed by emprical data"

Thermodynamic laws have been confirmed by empirical research. The question of how much said factors mentioned by K.Murx affect 902 at different temperatures is another thing, and K.Murx never made any claims on magnitude of inaccuracy caused by varying ambient temps.

"A rather pedantic, simple theoretical argument" is rather irrelevant, as while power consumption tend to rise as temperature rises, the rise of consumption is only slight, and can be ignored (considering that we're already dealing with a few degrees of margin for error in the measurements).

"A slightly complicated physical/mathematical argument" is also quite irrelevant because most heat dissipated from high-power system are due to forced convection through the case... not for example by conducting heat from the case to the floor, or by radiating it into environment (like a passive system does). Also, while radiation increases as ambient temperature increases, so does the radiation of floor, walls, ceiling, desk, etc. and in hotter environment the case will not only radiate more but also absorb more ambient radiation. If ambient temperature rises, air becomes less thick and there's less molecules in any specific volume of air. If temperature doubles, thickness halves. But the point is that this requires Kelvin scale for temperature, i.e 22 deg C is 295.15 K, and 28 deg C is 301.15 K, so air still retains 98% of it's thickness, even though 8 degrees may appear quite a bit of difference. So I guess it's ok to ignore that as well considering our margin of error.

But "A simple technical argument" is VERY important with temperature controlled fans. Especially for the dual GPU test, 6 degree ambient temperature rise not only ramps up the PSU but also GPU fans!

Here's an example. I'll take some values of Page 8, System Measurements (CrossFireX) table.
GPU #1 Temp 99°C
GPU #1 Fan Speed 2910 RPM
GPU #2 Temp 91°C
GPU #2 Fan Speed 2440 RPM

So, GPU #2 with 8 degrees less heat, revolves 470rpm slower.

It's reasonable to assume that unless there's something bad with your GPU samples, GPU #1 should also ramp down to around 2440rpm should it run 8 degrees C cooler. Of course if you cool ambient by 8 degrees, the fan ramps down, reducing the temperature drop, and causing rpm to settle a bit higher 2500...2600 rpm presumably.

6 degree drop in ambient temperature will no doubt reduce GPU fan speeds under high load by several hundred rpm. Just exactly how many... it definitely deserves a second review! Even if not because Antec 902 deserves it but because silencing community needs to know the relationship. You could also retest 183 in an ambient temperature that exceeds ambient temperature of original review by 6 degrees and see the results... this way you don't have to wait for the winter to have a cold room. You can easily warm up the air even past normal ambient temperature even if you don't have air-conditioning equipment.

My bet is, Antec 902 would have fared quite a bit better in two GPU scenario should the ambient temp have been the same as with 183. I also suspect that 183's results with Crossfire would be outright horrible if measured in 28 deg C ambient as GPUs would ramp to very high rpm. (The only thing that could "save" 183 would be that fan rpm would top off at around 3000rpm no matter how high the GPU core temperatures got.)

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:41 pm

"isn't a heavier case better?"

Size and weight are a concern for people that put their system on the desk or table.

whiic

Undervolting Antec 902/1200 fans

Post by whiic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:29 pm

JamieG: "I wonder how this case would fare in terms of quietness and performance if you fed 7V instead of 12V to the top 200mm exhaust fan and swapped the rear Tri-Cool for a quieter Scythe or Nexus fan"

I'll shrink the contents of the message as it doesn't give input to review itself, rather answer a question asked in this thread.

I have 902's big bro, Antec 1200. I have undervolted top 200mm and both 120mm Tri-Cools to 7V and all three steplessly variable rpm 120mm fans to 5V.

If I set them all to minimum, only 1 of the exhaust fans start up. I need to temporarily set switches to "mid" in order to start the other exhaust fan and I need to set 200mm to "full" before it starts. Afterwards it spins in "min" setting like the exhausts.

Intakes don't start at 5V with rpm potentiometer set to minimum (ok, You can yell "Noe-Schitt Sherlock" at this point) so I need to rotate the potentiometer to at least half-way to max in order to start them. They're relatively quiet at half-way setting while undervolted to 5V so I really don't ramp them all the way down even though HDDs run at sub-30 deg C temperatures. I just don't want the exhaust fans to draw air through the floppy drive so I keep the intakes spinning.

200mm Big Boy @7V:
min: faint ticking... well, that's about it. Not much airflow though.
mid: some ticking, some ball-bearing hissing. A bit more airflow.
max: bearing hissing, turbulent whooshing. Dramatic increase in airflow.

120mm exhaust Tri-Cools @7V:
min: noise too low to be heard from Big Boy at "low".
mid: broadband whooshing
max: louder and also more tonal and annoying in noise character

120mm intake stepless variable rpm @5V (good samples):
0%: inaudible but still rotates. Probably not drawing any significant air.
50%: very quiet. Also a setting which guarantees proper spin-up.
100%: audible, whooshing.

Bad sample of same fan @5V:
0%: about inaudible, spins very slow.
50%: makes odd dragging bearing noises. Unable to spin up with this setting.
70%: start-up setting. Makes louder dragging/ticking noises that aren't from the electronics but obviously mechanical.
100%: audible, whooshing + ugly noises.

The bad sample has started to work better and closer to good samples over time. It still appears to spin slower than the other two intakes but I no longer hear the dragging bearing noise.

Antec 902 most likely have the same type of fans. I just happen to have 1 Big Boy, 2 Tri-Cool, 3 intake where as 902 has 1 Big Boy, 1 Tri-Cool, 2 intake. Undervolting them is easy as you only need to undervolt the cable that feeds one power plug... you can attach one power plug to another to another, etc. The cables aren't long enough to attach intakes to exhausts, though. But I prefer to run intakes at a more drastic undervoltage.

Maybe one day I'll make a 12V jump-start delay circuit for Big Boy and exhaust so that I don't have to flip the switch temporarily to start the fans on power-up. Maybe it would also allow some even more ridiculous undervolts to 5V. :D

Ok. I shouldn't really worry about fan noise. I have 6 terabytes of HDD storage in this computer so the drives make the most of noise, even if they're just 5400rpm.

I also haven't tried Noctua or Nexus fans on this case since with undervolts, Big Boy makes more noise than exhausts (possibly because of ball-bearings it utilizes) so swapping exhausts on a computer that simply can't attain silent operation is a waste of money.

I will use those high quality fans for some build that uses single enclosed/decoupled HDD instead of half a dozed hardmounted ones. I'm quite happy with 1200 as a home-server case. 902 would also be good for the purpose, just 3 less HDD slots. I guess 6 is good enough for most of us but I still have room for expansion.

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:47 pm

whiic wrote: "A slightly complicated physical/mathematical argument" is also quite irrelevant because most heat dissipated from high-power system are due to forced convection through the case... not for example by conducting heat from the case to the floor, or by radiating it into environment (like a passive system does). Also, while radiation increases as ambient temperature increases, so does the radiation of floor, walls, ceiling, desk, etc. and in hotter environment the case will not only radiate more but also absorb more ambient radiation. If ambient temperature rises, air becomes less thick and there's less molecules in any specific volume of air. If temperature doubles, thickness halves. But the point is that this requires Kelvin scale for temperature, i.e 22 deg C is 295.15 K, and 28 deg C is 301.15 K, so air still retains 98% of it's thickness, even though 8 degrees may appear quite a bit of difference. So I guess it's ok to ignore that as well considering our margin of error.
*scratches head*
I never said anything about radiation :?
The physical argument was just that heat "leaves" the system either by cold air entering (front intake) or hot air leaving (exhaust). Equilibrium is reached if the heat generated inside the case through electric losses is balanced out by this.
If we change the intake temperature by x degrees it is not immediately obvious to me why the equilibrium temperature should change also with exactly x degrees. It is e.g. obvious that the rate of heat exhausted through the back drops if the temperature drops, so heat exhaustion gets less efficient.

[edit] Actually, strike that, thinking a bit longer about it, it is pretty much nonsense. Err, anyway...

The mathematical argument is just some quick&dirty backup for my "gut feeling" that things are not as simple as they were presumed. However, to get a really thorough argument out of that I would have to slog through yet another complicated system of 3D partial differential equations, and I really try to avoid that in my spare time ;)

So, to answer all of that I would actually like to see two experiments:
  • A case with an IGP and fans set to constant RPM which would answer the "fundamental" doubts, and
  • A case with a (preferrably) Crossfire setup of power-hungry graphics cards which would answer the "technical" question of fans ramping up/down with temperature.
but the decision if that is a worthwile pastime for him is obviously up to MikeC :)
Last edited by K.Murx on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks for the input whiic! It's disappointing that hear that you have to set the 200mm fan to max when feeding it 7V to ensure that it starts up.

Cheers for the detailed response to my random musings!

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:40 am

K.Murx wrote:... heat "leaves" the system either by cold air entering (front intake) or hot air leaving (exhaust).
No, you simply can't have either one, you must have both. Otherwise you'd get an ever increasing pressure and thermal gradient between inside and outside.

Heat leaves the system by "attaching" itself to the gas molecules passing by on their way through the case.
(The same amount of air that enter must leave, and equilibrium is based (mostly) on the flow rate and temperature of the air passing by.)

Cheers
Olle

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:03 am

Olle P wrote:
K.Murx wrote:... heat "leaves" the system either by cold air entering (front intake) or hot air leaving (exhaust).
No, you simply can't have either one, you must have both. Otherwise you'd get an ever increasing pressure and thermal gradient between inside and outside.

Heat leaves the system by "attaching" itself to the gas molecules passing by on their way through the case.
(The same amount of air that enter must leave, and equilibrium is based (mostly) on the flow rate and temperature of the air passing by.)

Cheers
Olle
Points at the "edit" in my post two above yours :)

Delta (U)_Air = c_V Delta (V)_Air Delta (T)_Air, albeit this does not say anything about the heat distribution inside the case, which is more interesting from a acooling point of view...
Hmm... Actually Delta(T) should be ~Delta(1/V)... now I only need a vacuum cleaner with variable power, some air balloons and time...

pixel

Post by pixel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:01 am

Nice review, thanks. I've had my eyes on this case for a while, but I was thinking it would be VERY loud due to all the "pores" and the 20 cm fan. It seems that it's not doing too bad.

My next system will probably have an ATi 5800 and a Core i5.. We still don't have the P183 in Turkey, but it seems that this case is probably going to be the better choice if one considers gaming / a bit of overclocking. 20 dBa baseline noise should be good (I don't have a way to measure how many dBa's my current setup produces - but at idle the biggest noise component is, er, my tinnitus :) ..). I was especially afraid of the 20 cm top fan, but it seems that it's not going to be so bad..

I guess I'll still check e-tailers for the P183 when I get to assembling my next system - but if I can't find it, the Nine Hundred 2 or Three Hundred will probably be good enough. Thanks again for the review.

Edit: As mentioned in this thread, I am also a "gamer" (not hardcore at all) trying to have as quiet a PC as possible. I don't have a console or another PC; so this one has to be powerful enough to run games and CPU-hungry applications AND offer enough quietness so I don't get a headache while not gaming. I appreciate the efforts you make in helping people who play games on their PC's (and have a moderate / high-level video card, CPU etc.) in reducing the noise their computer produces.

ACook

Post by ACook » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:36 pm

MikeC wrote:
ACook wrote:Can you add a picture taken from the back side looking at the drive bays?
Now on page 3.
thanks.

so can you put the cages in any position along the big cage? or just in every 3-bay compartment

===
DVD
empty
empty
HDD
HDD
HDD
HDD
HDD
HDD
===

or

===
DVD
HDD
HDD
HDD
empty
HDD
HDD
HDD
empty
===

?

whiic

Post by whiic » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:41 am

"so can you put the cages in any position along the big cage?"

From that picture, it looks like the bay used in Antec 1200 (except for the number of slots). Based on Antec 1200, I'll answer: yes.

I currently have:
CD
HDD CAGE 1
HDD CAGE 1
HDD CAGE 1
floppy
HDD CAGE 2
HDD CAGE 2
HDD CAGE 2
empty
HDD CAGE 3
HDD CAGE 3
HDD CAGE 3

This makes the bluish blow of intake fans to not be present only in the lower 3/4 of tower's height but spread more evenly, with unilluminated bars on even intervals.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:25 am

JamieG wrote:Kudos to MikeC and the rest of the SPCR reviewers for catering to a wider audience than just extreme silencers - I for one appreciate it, being one of those gamers who found this site after trying to quiet my gaming machine.
May I also express a similar opinion, except that I am not a gamer. I think it commendable of Mike C to have made SPCR a broad community. Reviews like these prove that quiet computing is of interest and benefit to many user groups.
JamieG wrote:My tolerance for computer noise has decreased markedly as a result of reading this site though :roll:.
That is a good thing, is it not? Maybe not that good financially... but the money would have gone on other things anyway. What does happen is that you end up with a collection and assortment of parts that have been superseded by something quieter, better performing and better value. I have already accumulated a small collection of fans, heatsinks and miscellaneous parts that I may never end up using again as a result of this hobby/journey/sidetrack.