My Scythe Orochi short story (install + mini-review)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

My Scythe Orochi short story (install + mini-review)

Post by bumthology » Mon May 26, 2008 2:03 am

Hi.

Theres a thread somewhere asking if the new Scythe Orochi would fit in the P180. I said I had one coming and it came today.
My motherboard is a P35-DS3

Firstly lets look at my setup now so we can compare later.
Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme (TRUE)
Noctua NB cooler
etc...

On closer inspection we see that I use the blowhole fan.

I'm trying my best to block the rear hole.

My temps with the TRUE Idle and LOAD
Image Image

OK! Now that we have that out of the way. Time for the Orochi.
Lets have a look at how big it is inside this case.

The orochi cant fit this way on my board. But if someone had the time to cut some bits out or has a motherboard with CPU slot that sits closer to the front a little then it'll fit. *(It'll be tricky to put the motherboard back in maybe.

This image shows the clearance with the caps and things around the CPU. And DAMN its tight !!

The lid will fit, but theres no way the fans going on top of it in a P180

Looks like i'll be putting my Stock NB cooler back on because this is just too close for comfort! thats less than 1mm of clearance!!

Damn!! scratched the rear of the mobo, damn NB clips.

OK! its all together! BUT!! i dont like how the rear fan is not getting any heat away from between the fins!
Last edited by bumthology on Mon May 26, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Post by bumthology » Mon May 26, 2008 2:03 am

OK! so for some reason i moved the front fan to the middle (So its quieter i hope) and I moved the blowhole fan to the REAR (because i think the blowhole makes more noise). However it wasn't such a good idea and i went back to the blowhole of course.
Also note i got rid of the AC Accelero fan! hoping the orange one in the middle will take care of it :)

Heres the IDLE temps from the above setup. A bit hotter. Load temps were even hotter as the fan placement was crap!

OK .. so i decided to rest the 140mm fan (included with the orochi) on top of it blowing down. The air circulations all over the place.. but improvement. (i only tested load)

So next, i blocked the rear fan hole. I put the blowhole fan back on blowing up the heat, as heat naturally tends to rise anyway.

All in all, i got rid of 2 fans
The way i mounted the orochi was the only way it'd fit in my case. I wanted to mount it so that the fins were horizontal, but my video card was in the way.

Some notes & tips

1. For S775 users, the motherboard backplate is used to tighten the orochi. If you tighten the backplate first, u could never clip clips of the orochi on.

2. Its heavy, my motherboard sustained a lot of abuse (bending, scratches, crashing against my case) during the install, because i did it while it was still plugged into the power leds etc. But cmon 1kg aint going to do anything to your motherboard. I reckon these mobos can take 2kg :P

Anyways thats the end of my story. The orochi looks like it belongs in the P180. Doesnt look so big once u get used to it. I want bigger! ;)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon May 26, 2008 2:56 am

bumthology..... well thanks for the info, but I couldn't get a single picture to load, since I'm on a dial-up connection. If I wanted to wait for a long time, maybe one would load.

I think the General Gallery is the forum for large pictures, along with a warning for dial-up users. I try to keep my pictures about 50k, so I can actually see them, along with everyone else forced to use dial-up. :(

Well after a long delay the first picture loaded....nice and only 100k. Maybe the server there is extremely slow today. My connection is working fine this morning....

Later....a few more pictures loaded. I think this cooler would install in my current Lian Li project. With some changes to the airflow, it might do better than my current Zipang. Hard to say. Sure is big though..... :) But I'm not going to try one....from the looks of it, everything else on the MB would run hotter.

weebroonie

Post by weebroonie » Mon May 26, 2008 10:07 am

nice writeup mate that thing is huge !

still want oner though!!

glad to see im not ther only only one who doesnt tidy their case

although mines is alot worse than that!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon May 26, 2008 10:30 am

it seems to cool nicely... but damn that's HUGE!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon May 26, 2008 11:04 am

you'd get better cooling blocking off the rear exhaust and putting the exhaust fan at the top. that way air goes between the fins.

just my $0.02

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Post by bumthology » Mon May 26, 2008 11:14 am

yep! thats what i did in the end. :)

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon May 26, 2008 1:11 pm

is the retention bracket actually touching those VRMs? i'd rather play it safe and put some type of insulating material there, shrink wrap, even a single sided thermal adhesive to take advantage of the proximity?

xafier

Post by xafier » Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 pm

Jeez, that thing is HUGE!!! It looks like they took a ninja, turned it sideways and made it 50% bigger!

I think I'll stick with my Ninja for now, I can't imagine it being much fun trying to install that thing!

I've just bought a Thermalright 775 bolt thru kit to secure my Ninja to my mobo as I dont trust those push-pin things, that thing looks like it would need some scaffolding to keep it supported :lol:

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 am

Scratched traces and contact with VRM components sounds like a recipe for failure.

A dead machine is the ultimate in silence.

:lol:

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Post by bumthology » Tue May 27, 2008 8:57 am

Ok, the caps arent touching the base of the plate.
Also those square blocks (VRMS?) dont seem to have any conductive surface on top. And i even think that Gigabyte uses heatsinks on them. As i said there is a bit of clearance, a bit of clearance is better than none at all, even though its so thin.

My computers been on almost 24/7 since the install and everything is fine. As you might be able to tell i'm very rough with the machine. I dont use braces, i use excessive force to do things (impatience i guess). I even move/do things in it while the computer is still on. (i know..)

The scratch yes.. that was pure negligence, try taking off the northbridge clips while the orochi is on the motherboard, and the cables (SATA, front panel) are still attached to the motherboard which is still attached to the case.

I guess after building hundreds of computers, you tend to get sick of doing things the slow way sometimes. But I can safely say that that scratch on the motherboard is the worst thing i've ever done.

:)

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Tue May 27, 2008 10:49 am

Glad to hear it didn't cost you a machine. I lost a board I just recapped by removing a NB fan without my glasses on. I bunged up a tiny surface mount resistor, and it killed the board.

BTW, your dentist also does hundreds of fillings.

:lol:

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Tue May 27, 2008 11:49 am

A scratch on the motherboard is nothing. I once took a soldering iron to the pc in my sig and attacked an area on the board marked "psu fan" but had no header on it. My intention was to solder a header on. The end result was a big black hole in the board and no new fan header.
In trying to find out if there was any current doing through the psu fan marked area, I shorted the signal line of the aux_fan header.

Thankfully, the signature PC is now sold and is running quietly in the Gambia.

tyeh26

Post by tyeh26 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:09 pm

nice cooler. I have a couple question. For to Orochi to fit, it dependson Case and Mobo right?

also. Does hte Orochi extend over the motherboard anywhere? mainly the top?

My case has the mobo right up against the wall of the case so a TRUE will only fit in one orientation. thanks.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:35 am

I can't imagine mounting that big mutha with only push-pin mounts. Yikes. :shock:

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:52 am

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:38 am

That would be really sweet in an Antec 1200 :)

It might even fit vertically, so the 200mm fan could be ditced, and you could use the 2 back 120mm fans to cool it.

Andy

lilshammy

Post by lilshammy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:38 pm

hey i have a p182 same specs as size as the 180, was there any way of getting the 140mm fan on ? side ways perhaps ?

Sham.

Lt_Dan

Post by Lt_Dan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:22 am

the temp drop of the CPU doesn't seem to be worth it.

BUT, how do you get your HDD so low??

shutupfan

Re: My Scythe Orochi short story (install + mini-review)

Post by shutupfan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:34 am

Highly interesting. I need some more info to understand that picture:
bumthology wrote: The orochi cant fit this way on my board. But if someone had the time to cut some bits out or has a motherboard with CPU slot that sits closer to the front a little then it'll fit. *(It'll be tricky to put the motherboard back in maybe.
You say it can't fit, but the picture shows it fitted in its place - how come?

Also, I see some copper bits (maybe heatpipe ends) coming out of the back of the case - is there a big hole in your case? And isn't there a rear blowing fan which would be attached approximately in that area of the case rear wall?

Lt_Dan

Post by Lt_Dan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:54 am

i assume that he cut the place of the fan in order to install that monster.

ame

Post by ame » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:16 am

There are no clips. Seems like in this pic its not installed, just placed in the case.

Looks impressive and a good job BTW, but not worth the trouble/benefit over the TRUE, IMO.

As you can see in the first PIC (with the TRUE) the back hole is cut.

shutupfan

Post by shutupfan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:01 pm

OK I get it: it was a "staged" picture to show how it would fit, but the cooler was not really attached to the motherboard.

Whether it's better than his previous cooler is of course debatable (my guess: yes it is better).

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Post by reddyuday » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:15 am

bumthology wrote:Hi.

Theres a thread somewhere asking if the new Scythe Orochi would fit in the P180.
The measures I have are 194mm for the height of Orochi and 212mm for the width for P180. That gives a clearance of 18mm for the case walls, motherboard, and processor, which is obviously not enough.

I have tried to fit Megahalems into my current case, which had 31mm clearance but it wasn't enough. It looks like a clearance of 4cm would be the minimum required, perhaps more if the motherboard tray is elevated and you want case damping etc.

shutupfan

Post by shutupfan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:41 am

reddyuday wrote:
bumthology wrote:Hi.

Theres a thread somewhere asking if the new Scythe Orochi would fit in the P180.
The measures I have are 194mm for the height of Orochi
Where did that come from? Here Scythe lists 155mm for the height: http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/orochi/4 ... sions.html
Maybe you were thinking length (which is 190mm) but that is not overly problematic in a normal sized case.