ATX HTPC case fitting modern graphic card

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

than78

ATX HTPC case fitting modern graphic card

Post by than78 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:25 am

Hello,

I tried to find this information on the forum, but no luck. I am looking for an ATX-standard HTPC (or LAN-Party - not tower) case that would fit modern graphic card (GTX 260 for example).

I need to change my current case to a desktop one and am thinking about upgrading graphics at the same time, but would rather like to avoid buying a new non-ATX motherboard.

To make matters worse - many of cases recommended here are not available in Poland, where I live.

The ones that are include - Thermaltake DH 101 (and others) or a wide selection of Silverstone cases - would any of these fit the requirements?

Many thanks for help.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 am

Why not the Silverstone LC17B?

Fits an ATX board, full height cards, good cooling, regular ATX PSU. I am not 100% sure about the graphics card, but you can remove the centre drive bay if you need more room.

than78

Post by than78 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:17 am

Hi
Yes this seems to be a safest bet model (due to the option to remove the middle HDD part)

However, I prefer looks of the LC13 - did anyone try to fit such a long card in this case? It doesnt have an option to remove the HDD mount.

Thanks.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 am

Antec Fusion Max?

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:44 pm

than78 wrote:Hi
Yes this seems to be a safest bet model (due to the option to remove the middle HDD part)

However, I prefer looks of the LC13 - did anyone try to fit such a long card in this case? It doesnt have an option to remove the HDD mount.

Thanks.
Check the dimensions. It looks like the exact same case to me inside. Also, if you look at photos, you will see that the holes for the motherboard standoffs. Since this is a standard length from the back I/O, you should be able to judge if the video card will fit. I suspect that any card that is shorter than a full ATX board should fit. I don't know if you will be able to mount any drives in the centre drive bays though.

cordis

in the old version, it works

Post by cordis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi, I have the old version of that silverstone case (not quite sure of the exact model number off the top of my head, I'm away from home at the moment) but I did take out the middle drive cage and fit a nice big BFG gtx 275 card in there. It's driving dual hdmi displays just fine. Well, it worked pretty well until I moved the whole motherboard to another case. So it should be able to fit, as long as you can sacrifice the middle drive cage. Oh, and as long as the motherboard has the slot in that area. But there's usually one fairly close to the cpu, so that would be the one to use. I wouldn't try a dual card setup in that case, though.

than78

Post by than78 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:39 am

Thanks for help guys - I will go through with the LC17 its a bit cheaper here than Antec Fusion Max and I will just use two hard drives anyway.

I wasn't thinking about SLI anyway - so the case should do fine.

Magilla

Post by Magilla » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:19 am

jhhoffma wrote:Antec Fusion Max?
I've yet to read a user review of a store bought case that doesn't state the LCD is discoloured/overbright.

Every one I've personally seen (6 of 'em) has had a faulty LCD that is bright pink.

Avoid the Fusion Max for the time being unless you plan on removing the LCD.