Silverstone Fortress FT02 (P182 killer?)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

axee

Silverstone Fortress FT02 (P182 killer?)

Post by axee » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 am

It's beautifull, it has sound dampening, hdd mounting should be good (?), slow 180mm fans, can it be great candidate for silent pc ?

It's the first PC case that I really like since P182. Simple but beautiful. What do you think? With slow 180mm fans, replaced top fan, can it be candidate for replacing my old P182 (with 3 slow fans)?

Do you think it will be quiet enough?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting this! It does look pretty darn good. Is the fan grill on the back for the PSU? I like the way the cards are oriented, among other things.

Do you have a link? The fans do look bigger than 120mm -- if they are NOT quiet, then the case may not be useful, but if they are quiet, then it has a lot going for it.

axee

Post by axee » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:58 am

Link

They are 18cm fans, as far as I know they spins at 700RPM (same fans are in Raven case). The fan grill with dust filters on the back is for PSU. I think this will be a kickass case.

mbf

Post by mbf » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:05 am

Great looking case with one serious flaw (for me). With a depth of about 65 cm it's about 15 cm too deep for me. :(

axee

Post by axee » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 am

Please if anyone gets information about release date let us know :D

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:46 am

Hi,

Here's another picture of the right side:

http://silverstone-usa.com/images/RV02/RV02_3s.jpg

EsaT

Re: Silverstone Fortress FT02 (P182 killer?)

Post by EsaT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:30 pm

axee wrote:it has sound dampening, hdd mounting should be good
Any proofs? That stuff on side panel looks awfully much like common Akasa/Lian Li/Spire etc. BS mat used for "pissing on to consumers eyes".
http://img.hexus.net/v2/internationalev ... 02-big.jpg

If you have more HDDs than in every second slot there goes their cooling.
(that cage system is restrictive already without HDDs)

JamieG

Re: Silverstone Fortress FT02 (P182 killer?)

Post by JamieG » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:13 pm

EsaT wrote:
axee wrote:If you have more HDDs than in every second slot there goes their cooling.
(that cage system is restrictive already without HDDs)
HDD mounting looks very restrictive indeed.
The Raven RV-02 (which is almost identical internally) doesn't have those restrictive HDD cages.

I wonder how easy it would be to pull out those HDD cages and just suspend a few drives in that area or in the 5.25" bays....

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:05 pm

mbf wrote:Great looking case with one serious flaw (for me). With a depth of about 65 cm it's about 15 cm too deep for me. :(
Not sure where you got that number, but the FT02 will be about 61.6cm deep.

Sorry, this is still too deep for you. :(

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:09 pm

SST Guy wrote:Not sure where you got that number, but the FT02 will be about 61.6cm deep.
Why to stop to only one dimension if you know also the rest of them?

cordis

raised bottom

Post by cordis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 am

So hey, it looks like the bottom has a big gap in it, which looks to be the fan intake. So is the bottom smooth, so it could slide over carpet or other types of flooring pretty easily? That would be nice, that's one of the reasons why I got a Cosmos. Any pics of the bottom of the case?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:55 pm

EsaT wrote:
SST Guy wrote:Not sure where you got that number, but the FT02 will be about 61.6cm deep.
Yes!

We demand to know how tall it is!

:P

enska001

Post by enska001 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Wow. Looks great!

Rip the HDD cage out and fix your hdd's in a 90 degree angle suspended and it would be perfect. I love the fresh thinking of the I/O ports being in the top. This should really affect thermal performance in a good way.
How about noise? The GPU fans are right at the top, closest to user and the top of the case is quite open with just a mesh "blocking" noise. Could it be taped and try to direct all of the airflow and sound to go out from the back where the power and other cords are going?
BUT building a low/no-noise system, I doubt the buyes of this case would use stock coolers anyhow. The Accelero S1 would be great here, since the heat dissipated from the aluminum HS would exit straight from the top instead of toward the graphics card, as in a traditional system.
All in all, looks like a great innovation and I like how the PSU has its own intake in the back. I guess only PSUs with fan in the bottom are recommended with this..

mbf

Post by mbf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:29 am

SST Guy wrote:
mbf wrote:Great looking case with one serious flaw (for me). With a depth of about 65 cm it's about 15 cm too deep for me. :(
Not sure where you got that number, but the FT02 will be about 61.6cm deep.

Sorry, this is still too deep for you. :(
I stand corrected! Don't know where I read about the 65 cm. :oops:

On a related note, how about doing an FT03 with the same general layout and look (which is near perfect!), but with a depth of about 50 cm? I'm sure it can be done! :)

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:46 am

mbf wrote:On a related note, how about doing an FT03 with the same general layout and look (which is near perfect!), but with a depth of about 50 cm? I'm sure it can be done! :)
Moving the power supply to under the DVD area, laying it lengthways with a bottom intake vent and reducing the number of DVD bays should just about do it, but would leave the PSU exhausting out the front of the case...

Fitting the ATX mobo spec (30 x 24.5 cm roughly but the short side needs extra space for long graphics cards, becoming more like 30 x 32 cm or so) is a problem for a depth of 50cm. Tower cases solve this by stacking the PSU under or above the ATX mobo tray, so you'd probably end up with a case roughly the same size as a P18x series case, just with the motherboard rotated 90 degrees and room for 2 bottom intake fans (maybe only 120mm fans, not 180mm) as well as a PSU underneath the graphics card area, which would be less than ideal for airflow purposes.

This idea is pretty much like the interior of the original Raven RV-01, featuring a with a reduced depth but added height again to accommodate the PSU and/or HDDs underneath the ATX mobo area somewhere.

The only way to avoid adding extra height is to stack the DVD area, HDD area and PSU somehow, which results in awkward placing either for the PSU (at the front as described above) or access to the DVD drives (if placed at the rear of the case behind the CPU side of the mobo so the PSU can exhaust out the back).

IMO the FT-02 solution is superior, even if it does result in extra 10cm or so of depth.

*edit for spelling*

mbf

Post by mbf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:11 am

I don't have an issue with the added height. Depth is my problem... :)

Thanks for laying out the figures, by the way. Quick thinking!

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:43 am

mbf wrote:I don't have an issue with the added height. Depth is my problem... :)
Lian Li's TYR-serie is pretty much only one with small depth.
http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/product ... =61&g=spec
http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/product ... =61&g=spec
http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/product ... =62&g=spec

mbf

Post by mbf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:33 pm

<OT>

I know, but I don't really like any of them except for the new X1000. And that one would rock with an added door. Mailed Lian Li about it and they'll look into it.

In the mean time I'm contemplating the Lancool K56. I've this idea that it could be quiet with the mesh front if there's no front fan. I might be off on that notion, though.

Sorry, for going slightly off topic, by the way. :)

</OT>

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:12 pm

The RV02 looks the same, only minus the quasi-hot-swap HDD bay. Well, plus it's black. And "funkier".

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/pro ... RV02&area=

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Re: raised bottom

Post by SST Guy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:43 pm

EsaT wrote:
Sorry, the prototype case had dimensions of:

212mm (W) x 497mm (H) x 616mm (D)

This may change slightly (a couple of millimeters) in the production version.

cordis wrote:So hey, it looks like the bottom has a big gap in it, which looks to be the fan intake. So is the bottom smooth, so it could slide over carpet or other types of flooring pretty easily? That would be nice, that's one of the reasons why I got a Cosmos. Any pics of the bottom of the case?
The bottom is part of the unibody frame so it is similarly finished as the front and the rear panel in anodized aluminum. We will place two rubber strips underneath the case for better traction on hard surfaces. So if you like to move it smoothly on the carpet, you probably just need to remove the rubber strips.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:24 pm

I don't think I like the idea of having the connectors at the top. Even in conventionally oriented cases, it's an area that tends to attract quite a bit of fluff, but with upwards-facing connectors, dust is going to fall right into any empty sockets, possibly resulting in unreliable connections after a few years.

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Mr Evil wrote:I don't think I like the idea of having the connectors at the top. Even in conventionally oriented cases, it's an area that tends to attract quite a bit of fluff, but with upwards-facing connectors, dust is going to fall right into any empty sockets, possibly resulting in unreliable connections after a few years.
Dust accumulation around the connectors in conventional cases are probably caused by negative pressure system presented in them. You can take a look at the tech article we have here:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/tech/wh_p ... .php?area=

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:03 am

It's a beautiful case with relatively conventional appearance(comparing with Raven) and an awesome internal design. I do like it very much!

The only question is when it is to be released and when SPCR can get one for review :lol:

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:57 am

SST Guy wrote:
EsaT wrote:
Sorry, the prototype case had dimensions of:

212mm (W) x 497mm (H) x 616mm (D)

This may change slightly (a couple of millimeters) in the production version.

cordis wrote:So hey, it looks like the bottom has a big gap in it, which looks to be the fan intake. So is the bottom smooth, so it could slide over carpet or other types of flooring pretty easily? That would be nice, that's one of the reasons why I got a Cosmos. Any pics of the bottom of the case?
The bottom is part of the unibody frame so it is similarly finished as the front and the rear panel in anodized aluminum. We will place two rubber strips underneath the case for better traction on hard surfaces. So if you like to move it smoothly on the carpet, you probably just need to remove the rubber strips.
The depth surprises me because it is shorter than I expected. Considering the PSU is mounted at the back, the FT02 is actually shorter than my RV01 if their numbers are correct.

Crap. The reason I didn't wait for the FT02 was because I expected it to be longer.

mlc

Post by mlc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:26 pm

it would be nice if there were an anodized aluminum hinged cover placed over the top part (covering the connector area, but leaving slits toward the rear for air ventilation, as there's a fan underneath), and then that cover allows the wires/cables to be routed to the back, where the PSU cable is routed. This would allow a clean look front, top and sides.

Oops, never mind. I noticed that picture with the top open is with the cover off, and there is a cover with holes in it. :oops:

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:57 pm

SST Guy wrote:The bottom is part of the unibody frame so it is similarly finished as the front and the rear panel in anodized aluminum. We will place two rubber strips underneath the case for better traction on hard surfaces. So if you like to move it smoothly on the carpet, you probably just need to remove the rubber strips.
Shouldn't be really necessary to push it around on floor...
That space between "foot" and internal bottom looks like perfect place for one hand and that cable routing hole in top rear for other hand for carrying it.

cordis

under stuff

Post by cordis » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Well yeah, if you just want to pick it up off the floor and put it down someplace, that would be fine. But if you want to put it under a desk, it's hard to bend down, crawl under the desk, pick it up, and pull it out. It's usually easier to put it down in front of a desk, and slide it under. Well, for me, anyway, ymmv.

And thanks for the info SST Guy, very good to know! I'm going to have to take a serious look at this case when it hits my local Fry's!

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:28 am

I'm not sure the cooling of a fully packed hard drive cage will be too problematic - it's not as if the air from that fan has to pass through them in order to cool anything else and they are mounted vertically, whereas in the Raven 2 the bottom drive will block the airflow to the others.

Am I right in saying the differences between this and the raven 2 are:

+ Aluminium over steel instead of plastic over steel
+ 5 quick release vertical mounted drives vs 3 fixed horizontal drives
- No 8th expansion slot
- Fixed 700rpm fans instead of 700-1000 adjustable

Does the fortress still have the SSD mount and the cut out behind the processor?

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:42 pm

RBBOT wrote:I'm not sure the cooling of a fully packed hard drive cage will be too problematic - it's not as if the air from that fan has to pass through them in order to cool anything else and they are mounted vertically, whereas in the Raven 2 the bottom drive will block the airflow to the others.

Am I right in saying the differences between this and the raven 2 are:

+ Aluminium over steel instead of plastic over steel
+ 5 quick release vertical mounted drives vs 3 fixed horizontal drives
- No 8th expansion slot
- Fixed 700rpm fans instead of 700-1000 adjustable

Does the fortress still have the SSD mount and the cut out behind the processor?
I'm wondering whether 700rpm of 18cm fan is still not low enough for silencers. BTW, where do you get such spec? I can't get any more information after previous rumors :twisted:

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:23 am

Unfortunately I didn't keep a link, but there is a video on youtube of one of the Silverstone guys at comdex demoing this case and the Raven 2 and he mentioned these points, except for the expansion slots which I counted in the photo.