What's the right way to stretch?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

What's the right way to stretch?

Post by aristide1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm slowly reaching the point I don't want to pick up pennies anymore. Why should bending over even be up for consideration? But it is. It's not a big deal, it's just that it used to be no deal at all. :?

Oh, and I'm trying to misplace or misalign anything in the process. That and making loud cracking or snapping sounds. :shock:

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:25 am

That's a massive topic, can't even scratch the surface of the proper techniques in a forum post.

Do you do sports regularly, which ones and how often?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:26 am

Some weight lifting and Nordic Track. I want to start running again.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:32 am

I go to yoga classes 4 times a week. Not only does it make me more flexible and less prone to injury, but it also increases strength and balance. It will make you better at any sport, as well as life in general! However, it can be tough going, especially in the beginning. You quickly realise your physical and mental limitations.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:38 am

As lm said, big subject. My OH is a fitness instructor, but I wouldn't presume to pass on 2nd hand any of what I've gleaned from her - I'm crap at stretching, when I even bother doing it :oops:

However, I found this site a good help... http://www.stretching.name/ - it's image based and you can build your own routine and save it, but hands-on tuition is always good for the basics.

Longer term, yoga and/or Pilates is the way to go imho. Pilates good for spinal rehab and core strengthening, yoga for overall flexibility and balance. Big investment, and tough to stick with at first, but you get a lot back.