Damaged socket 478 retention bracket

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Miriam

Damaged socket 478 retention bracket

Post by Miriam » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:10 am

Hello

I'm trying to figure out if I can revive an old PC with a damaged socket 478 retention bracket. I was wondering if there are any good cooling solutions I could buy, that includes a bracket, and backplate perhaps. I would certainly love to get a Noctua or Scythe heatsink, but do any of them include a bracket, or do I need to cannibalize one from a used board, perhaps? I'd certainly be appreciatative of any help at all.

Much <3

- Miriam

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:50 am

Scythe Mugen 2 is the only cooler I know that uses backplate *and* supports 478. I'd just get an aftermarket cooler than get a used 478 bracket.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:11 pm

I used one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-P4-478-Retain ... 286.c0.m14. It was not to replace a damaged bracket, but to replace the standard push-pin device as I was fitting a Thermalright cooler which used the normal bracket. At the time there were a number of coolers which used the bracket but did not include a backplate. It's been a while since I bought a 478 cooler but that may still be the case now.

Miriam

Post by Miriam » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:17 am

Thanks a lot, to the both of you. So, that means I could potentially use any of the coolers below? I found these in the SPCR recommended list. I appreciate the peace and quiet. <3

I apologise if this question was already answered, but I was not quite sure if any of the brackets included with these coolers would negate the need for the standard socket 478 retention bracket.

It might be necessary to mention that the old motherboard is an Asus P4P800 SE.

Noctua NH-U12P *
Scythe Mugen
Scythe Mugen 2
Scythe Ninja Mini
Thermalright XP-120 (I didn't find this specific model on manufacturers site)

* (My motherboard was not mentioned on the manufacturers website in their motherboard compatibility list. Motherboard too old or unlikely to fit?)

It seems that the Scythe coolers all have a socket 478 bracket included?

Pardon all the silly questions. I certainly appreciate any assistance.

Much <3

- Miriam

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:58 am

Hi,
you'll still have to get a standard mounting system. The clips that come with those heatsinks are just the clips that hold the heatsink to the mounting system on the motherboard (which in your case, needs replacing).
You can google mounting brackets for that 478 socket. They make really nice metal ones with backplates for almost the same price as platic push-pins ones. (amazon has both kinds so you can compare)

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:44 am

Miriam:
Scythe coolers don't come with retention brackets. With the exception of Mugen 2, you would still need to use the original 478 bracket with their products. Mugen 2 comes with a universal backplate, negating the need for a bracket.

Miriam

Post by Miriam » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks a lot to you all. The help was much appreciated. I weighed the trouble of finding a used bracket, or buying a new one, or simply getting the Scythe Mugen 2. The Mugen 2 seems to be the easiest (thanks EekTheCat), and it would cool my old Pentium 4 quite well, and doing so almost quietly.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions (thanks Frenchie and Lodestar) and answers to my silly questions.

Yay, peace and quiet. ^^

Much <3

-Miriam

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:58 am

Almost forgot. For ideal cooling, I recommend getting a better thermal paste. I've heard that the sachet of paste that comes with the Mugen 2, and all Scythe coolers for that matter, is average at best. I wouldn't want the paste to bottleneck the heatsink performance.