Noise source: [speakers!?] I can hear when my CPU gets 90%

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

R2_

Noise source: [speakers!?] I can hear when my CPU gets 90%

Post by R2_ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:46 pm

No, i'm not getting mad. I really hear the ZZZZZZ when heavy flash animation is runing.
And even a small buzz when window is minized.
I'v tried to plug hearplugs directly on the mobo, got the same result.
Tried turning off the monitor...same sound.

I can even hear small click when i turn on my room lights!

So i guess this is related to a ground line missing, or some kind of eletromagnetic interference.

Anyone got a clue on how to solve this?
Becuase this is my old pc, i'm building a new rig (hopefully more quite), and i really dont want to be annoyed by this little sounds.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:27 pm

This is because onboard audio is, basically, crap.

The power supply isn't properly filtered, so you get a lot of noise through it. Buy a dedicated sound card (of good quality, the Asus Xonar series is very nice), and the noises will vanish.

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:53 pm

So I gather, you do not have a problem with the speakers but with the sound output in general?
In this case, especially if it increases under load, it seems pretty clear cut that there is some current/noise leaking into your sound output. Of course, to be absolutely sure you could try the speakers with another source (if they are active speakers, keep them in the same power outlet and keep the computer running).
Now, the question is whether the PSU or the MB is responsible (I would initially not suspect any other part). What models do you use for those?
Monkeh16 wrote:This is because onboard audio is, basically, crap.

The power supply isn't properly filtered, so you get a lot of noise through it. Buy a dedicated sound card (of good quality, the Asus Xonar series is very nice), and the noises will vanish.
*shrugs* Never had a problem - although I buy quality PSUs and MBs.

R2_

Post by R2_ » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Well, atm i'm using a generic PSU on my case.
MOBO: Asus A7V8X-X.

There is this power source device, that devolts 220 to 110, might not be necessary, but i got used to old computers wich came always 110. It also does some mechanic noise (ploc ploc) when someone turns eletrical-shower or things like that.

I have a feeling that this device might not have good ground.

My new rig will have Corsair HX 620, and Asus M4A79T-Delx.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:58 am

when did this start?

has it always been this way and now you have had enough and want to fix it?

I had simmilar issues with a really old PC - i could "hear" my mouse move and simmilar buzzing when maximizng / minimizing windows.
I dont remember what fixed it.. but eventually the problem went away when I upgraded something.

My first suspect is your "generic" power supply.
From your last post im guessing your wall sockets are 220 instead of 110. so if you get a GOOD PSU capable of 220v with your new rig it should be fine.

Also if you havent already - invest in a good quality suge supressor.

R2_

Post by R2_ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Yes, this noise have always been around. Even with my old pentium MMX.
I can't use earplugs, i have a friend who got deaf because she was using earplugs when her mom light up the room, the buz was too strong.
And i'v notice this when i use it too, so better not risk.

I'll test with new rig and psu, later on a new surge supressor is mind.
Would you recommend me any brand, model, Watts/Volts , etc ?

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:11 am

R2_ wrote:There is this power source device, that devolts 220 to 110, might not be necessary, but i got used to old computers wich came always 110. It also does some mechanic noise (ploc ploc) when someone turns eletrical-shower or things like that.
There should be a plate or sticker on your current PSU that specifies the allowed input voltage range.

There might also be a little switch for choosing whether the input voltage is assumed to be 110 or 220.

Check those things to see if you can remove the 220->110 device. If you can, you should.

If you buy a new power supply, choose such that you don't need this extra device.

All extra unnecessary devices are potential points of failure, simple is good.

I haven't had any problems with my Corsair VX450 which is on the SPCR recommended list and has a nice 5 year warranty.

R2_

Post by R2_ » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:53 pm

I guess you have a point there. But i got worried, since the voltage here is not that stable. But as i've read, UPS would be the best option.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:20 am

A good quality surge protector will go a long way towards smoothing out a poor quality line. An on-line UPS would work very well, but they're quite expensive,.
K.Murx wrote:
Monkeh16 wrote:This is because onboard audio is, basically, crap.

*shrugs* Never had a problem - although I buy quality PSUs and MBs.
I buy quality PSUs and motherboards. I also buy quality headphones. I've yet to find any onboard audio which doesn't have unacceptable interference noise, excluding laptops, which tend to be much better, although still far from ideal.