Motherboards with all fans Speedfan controllable

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnbentley

Motherboards with all fans Speedfan controllable

Post by johnbentley » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:13 pm

This is a call for any and all motherboards that have all of their fan headers controllable by speedfan.

Recommended Motherboards: From a Silence Perspective 1.1 has large wholes in the speedfan support data.

The Motherboard support list on the Speedfan website merely has a vote on how "good", out of 10, "Fan Speed Changing" is.

Suggested Formats:

Note: A list of some Hardware Monitor Chip/Temperature Sensors.

Full Format
-----------------------

Code: Select all

[list][b]Motherboard Model:[/b] 
[b]Chipset:[/b] 
[b]Socket Type:[/b] 
[b]Hardware Monitor Chip/Temperature Sensors:[/b]
[b]Number of controllable 4 - Pin headers:[/b] 
[b]4 - Pin header(s) controllable via:[/b] [PWM only | Voltage only | PWM and Voltage ]
[b]Number of controllable 3 - Pin headers:[/b] 
[b]Reliability:[/b] x% [ Optional notes ]
[b]Source:[/b] [A text reference | URL | "Personally verified"] 
[b]Notes:[/b][/list] 
For example if my Motherboard could control all the fan headers (It only controls 2 of 5) ...
  • Motherboard Model: MSI X48C Platinum
    Chipset: Intel X48
    Socket Type: LGA775
    Hardware Monitor Chip/Temperature Sensors: F71882F
    Number of controllable 4 - Pin headers: 1
    4 - Pin header(s) controllable via: PWM only
    Number of controllable 3 - Pin headers: 4
    Reliability: 100%
    Source: Personally verified
    Notes:

Minimal Format
---------------------------

Code: Select all

[list][b]Motherboard Model:[/b] MSI X48C Platinum
[b]Number of headers (all being controllable):[/b] 5
[b]Source:[/b]  [A text reference | URL | "Personally verified"][list]
For example (again this is hypothetical) ...
  • Motherboard Model: MSI X48C Platinum
    Number of headers (all being controllable): 5
    Source: Personally verified
If you don't want to bother cutting and pasting my pretty formatting, no worries, just type away. The information is the more important thing.

Edit: Added reliability field.
Edit: Added Hardware Monitor Chip/Temperature Sensors field.
Last edited by johnbentley on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

ascl

Post by ascl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 pm

One thing, I think there needs to be more information on how reliable controlling is. On my Asus motherboard, it sort of worked, but wasn't 100% reliable.

Also, number of controllable headers isn't 100% clear... I listed 2 for PWM and 0 for 3 pin, however, the 4 pin headers can be used as 3 pin (not sure if this is standard). Perhaps I should list it differently?
  • Motherboard Model: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
    Chipset: P45
    Socket Type: 775
    Number of controllable 4 - Pin headers: 2
    4 - Pin header(s) controllable via: PWM and Voltage
    Number of controllable 3 - Pin headers: 0
    Source: "Personally verified"
    Notes: Unlike previous boards I have used, it works 100% reliably with speed fan. Gigabyte's utility also works fine.

EDIT: Its probably also best to list the controller on the board, as this is really what matters. In my case: IT8718F (you can find out in speed fan)

johnbentley

Post by johnbentley » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:05 am

ascl, thanks for the suggestions about Hardware Monitor Chip/Temperature Sensors and reliability fields. I've added those.

As I understand it if a 4 - Pin header has voltage control that means a 3 pin fan can be controlled via this header.

I have intended this thread only for motherboards that have all of their fan headers controllable by speedfan, rather than for speedfan information for all motherboards. By this crieteria the Gigabyte EP45-UD3L does not qualify.

If you would find it valuable to collect speedfan support information for all motherboards then please do start another thread. However, I think it valuable to identify the short list of boards that make fan control a simple affair (by having all of its headers (speedfan) controllable).

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm not sure any boards meet your criteria.

FWIW, my ancient P5WDH board sort-of does: it has five headers and three controllers, so all headers can be controlled by SpeedFan, but two headers share speeds with other headers.

It's much more useful to know which boards have lots of SpeedFan-controllable headers, where lots is more than two or three. For example, the ASUS Maximus has five controllers.

johnbentley

Post by johnbentley » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:36 pm

cmthomson. You might be right that no modern board have all of their headers speedfan controllable. It would be good to know whether this is true. (Somebody posted one of their boards here but then deleted it).

It is helpful of you to point out that even for speedfan supported headers, some of them share speeds. My board behaves that way.

Given the situation, and after reflection, I have changed my mind to agree that it would be more useful to know which boards have *lots* of speedfan-controllable headers and solicit header grouping information.

I propose, then, to abandon this thead and start "Motherboards with lots of headers speedfan controllable.":

* Where lots means four or more.
* with the following formats:

Full Format
----------------
  • Motherboard Model:
    Chipset:
    Socket Type:
    Hardware Monitor Chip/Temperature Sensors:
    Headers Speedfan Controllable: x of y | \[color=red\]All y\[/color\] eg "4 of 5" or "All 5"
    Header Grouping (For speedfan controllable headers only): {[3|4] Pin [x Z]} eg 4 Pin, 3 Pin, 3 Pin x 2
    4 - Pin header(s) controllable via: PWM only | Voltage only | PWM and Voltage
    Reliability: x% | notes | x% [ Optional notes ]
    Source: A text reference | URL | "Personally verified"
    Notes:
"Header Grouping (For speedfan controllable headers only):" groups headers by those whose speed can only be varied at the same time.

Minimal Format
----------------
  • Motherboard Model:
    Headers Speedfan Controllable: x of y | \[color=red\]All y\[/color\] eg "4 of 5" or "All 5"
    Source: A text reference | URL | "Personally verified"
I'd like to keep the current thread alive to canvas opinion before starting the new one. ...

What do you think?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:27 am

Just change the header and first post here.

johnbentley

Post by johnbentley » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:50 am

Mike, if I change the header and first post here that'll make the current 5 subsequent posts sound bizarre. No? Wouldn't it be simpler just to close this thread and begin again?

Of course, I'll defer to the way you would like your site setup.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:55 am

johnbentley wrote:Mike, if I change the header and first post here that'll make the current 5 subsequent posts sound bizarre. No? Wouldn't it be simpler just to close this thread and begin again?

Of course, I'll defer to the way you would like your site setup.
Whatever you like, really

johnbentley

Post by johnbentley » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:36 am

Mike, great. This thread is now deprecated in favour of Motherboards with lots of fan headers Speedfan controllable

Edit: url due to my mistake.
Edit: url again due to server error.

johnbentley

Post by johnbentley » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:27 am

For those watching this thread MikeC has informed me that my previous post "Motherboards with lots of fan headers Speedfan controllable" had been inadvertently deleted due to a server issue.

Hopefully you can now see Motherboards with lots of fan headers Speedfan controllable