Possible to replace HS fan ONLY without replacing the HS?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kavafy

Possible to replace HS fan ONLY without replacing the HS?

Post by Kavafy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:49 pm

Is it possible to replace the HS fan without replacing the HS itself? I.e. just unscrew the fan from the top of the heatsink and screw a new fan in its place? I've just bought a new computer with an Athlon II 630 (I imagine with the standard HS & F) and it's very loud. But I don't want to go to the hassle of replacing the HS itself!

Thanks.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:37 pm

What is the size of the fan on top of the heatsink? I'm guessing 70mm, or maybe 60mm. If you are lucky, then it will be 80mm.

You might be able to find an adapter (something like this) so that you can fit a standard 80mm fan on top of the stock aluminium part of the cooler instead after you unscrew the stock fan. Then buy a quiet 80mm fan and see how it works out.

I have no idea how well this will work, however.

Scan.co.uk has some 70mm fans if you want to look into this as well, but they could be pretty loud. Coupled with a Zalman Fanmate 2 though, you could have a quiet enough solution.

You might be better simply buying a complete aftermarket cooler. While it might be extra hassle, a proper aftermarket cooling solution is likely to be quiet and keep temperatures under control better than a DIY solution involving a fan adapter like I described above.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:37 pm

you certainly can!
but the main problem is the uncommon fan they use, a 70x70x15 i believe.

i would stick a 80 or 92 in it's place, with foamy double sided tape on the hub- the centre of the hs should be solid, so you can get a good hold.

edit: use something heat resistant! :D

wywywywy

Post by wywywywy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:30 am

Or you could just use a fan speed reducer/controller.

Bear in mind if you reduce the fan speed while keeping everything else (fan size, heatsink, etc) intact, the temperature is obviously going to go up!

hophophop
Friend of SPCR

Post by hophophop » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:48 am

You could also use a 120mm. That's what I've done with an amd venice. I used a wire to attach it. It's been working fine for years now.