am i pushing picopsu 90w too hard?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

bbzidane

am i pushing picopsu 90w too hard?

Post by bbzidane » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:29 pm

i was wondering if people can comment on my build and see if im pushing my picopsu 90w too hard, i have it using a 102W adapter

the original system is as follows
m/b: gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
cpu: amd be2300
ram: 4x2gb corsair
disk: 1TB wd green
fan: 1x 120mm nexus

the processor is undervolted, multiplier 5x @ 0.75V, multiplier 10x @ .975V, using rmclock
running Vista ultimate 64bit

i recently added a 1.5tb wd green drive and things continue to work well

i then added a intel 80gb ssd g2, and installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit
after the install, i re-did the undervolting with rmclock, but now it seems the system is less stable with the previous undervolting with vista ultimate
and even upping the voltage by ~0.5/0.75V, and im still seeing the system randomly hang

im not sure if this is due to undervolting or not having enough power
before getting into windows, the ac/dc adapater fan is running, which i guess is running closer to the upper limit of the adapter, but when the system hangs, i dont hear the fan from the adapter. that makes me unsure what is the cause of the hang

any comments?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:23 pm

The picoPSU itself is not likely to be the problem -- it is only delivering the non-12V lines, which calls for very little current. The AC/DC power adapter could be the issue -- the 12VDC line goes straight from it to whatever needs 12V. Try resetting the Vcore to norm, pull the HDD and see if it boots.

bbzidane

Post by bbzidane » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:38 pm

sorry, but when you refer to vcore, you mean the voltage setting in rmclock? i dont tweak the voltage in the bios, though i have CnQ disabled.

without undervolting, the system will boot with the 2 hdd and 1 ssd. the ac/dc adapter will usually have the fan running though. undervolting reduces how often the ac/dc adapter fan runs.
i ran prime95 in torture test mode and running for 1+ hr plus without an y issues, i was too lazy to run it longer.

the hanging sometimes happen 12 hours after booting, sometimes 3 hours, it is random.
not sure if it is directly related to what im doing at the time or not.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:19 pm

As far as i know, the fan comes on at 90W load in that adapter. So if you say it sometimes comes on i would say you are using more then 90W.

Im no expert though.

Interestingly, i have the same motherboard, a 65W 4200+, 500GB HDD and 2x1GB ram, and i have never heard the fan in my 102W adapter.

bbzidane

Post by bbzidane » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:04 pm

well the thing is i have two more sticks of memory, one more hard drive and one ssd

it seems like my undervolting is causing instability issues.
the weird thing is i can run prime 95 on small fft, which stresses the cpu most, yet windows will still randomly stall

is there a better program to stress the cpu?