SPCR Folds Team Blog

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cordis

oh please....

Post by cordis » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:22 pm

Dudes, take it easy, I'm pretty sure that 87k day was a makeup for the 11/11-11/12 day when I got 20k and 35k. Now sure, I've been averaging right up against 60k, and the makeup day put me over, but it probably won't last. I'll enjoy it while I can. But thanks for noticing! :)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:05 am

This had to be NewEggs most over-hyped disappointing Black Friday Sale I have ever seen. Frankly the prices were way better back this past January when the economy was a standstill.

Wednesday evening you get an Antec EarthWatts 650 for $50 after rebate. That last several hours before it went back to $80 the next next morning. If you could have purchased that in a combo as well you would have really done well.

The Antec 900 case remains a good buy and appears to accept their over sized 850 watt power suppy, a well made beast. Too bad I purchased the 300 about a month ago.

Most interesting stuff like CPUs and video cards barely budged. GTS240s didn't go on sale at all, despite the over pricing, I guess they are too new. The AMD 620 quad still full price and free shipping.

A handful of low end displays got $20 knocked off to end up below the $100 mark, which apparently caused a surge. Why flat is more important than quality is beyond me. The limited viewing angle, the motion blur. I'm glad I do all my viewing on CRTs. Idiots also cleaned out all the Rosewill 1000 watt power supplies, which tells you what little the average consumer understands these things.

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:10 pm

But...But....But it's 1000! That's good...right? :roll:

PS--I love the Antec Three Hundred. Best case I ever bought.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:50 pm

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16642/1/

Now that's what I call a Happy New Year.

Oh they use more than 35 watts? Well, when you can actually get some work done that's going to happen on occasion.

Duh!

Now to find a way to ID motherboards that will have 32nm chipsets as well. And no Foxconn cpu sockets!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:38 pm

A couple of things.

First, anyone notice we have exceeded 2 million points per week the last 2 weeks? We've also had a coupe of 8 million point months. Not too shabby. Milestones actually.

Second, if any of you visit http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com have you noticed that almost everyday as of late there are no points reported at 12PM (noon) Eastern time and then of course twice as many at 3PM. This is now constant, not something that happens occasionally. Not that it matters, it's just different.

And we should be in position 50 again by the end of the year. I mean it's like hey, we need to pass somebody once in a while, right?

cordis

always empty at noon

Post by cordis » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:04 pm

Yeah, the noon issue is pretty much a constant thing, once in a blue moon you'll see some points show up for that, but generally I never see anyone get any points at noon. I thought it was a mistiming thing between stanford and extreme overclocking folding. Eh, one of those things, I figured.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:44 am

Frenchie has over 250,000 points!

Go Frenchie go!

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:52 am

Hey Aristide, thanks :-)
I'm hoping to reach page 1 by the beginning of next year (on the extremeoverclocking site) !!!!!!!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:28 am

No problem Frenchie.

Also - Oh no, not those in the thread ads again. Can I become a full fledged member, pay my C note, and not get them? Yuck.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Aris,

FireFox and AdBlock Plus are your friend...

cordis

congrats to Aristide1!

Post by cordis » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:13 pm

Hey, congrats to Aristide1, he's our new number one. It looks like he has enough of a kicker now to pull away from cd8uk, but time will tell. And watch out for KansaKilla, he nicely pulled into the 30k daily zone, although he's been dropping the last couple of days. Hope it all works out soon KK!

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:05 am

Looks like my PC rebooted yesterday thanks to a nice blue screen... I'll have to see what that windoz 7 dump file says.

By the way, I've been looking around the forum for everyone's folding machines... no luck... Do you think it's worth it to have a sticky in the folding section where everyone folding can post their machine's specs and average PPDs for each one ?

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:38 am

I don't know why some of my machines will just randomly shut down, but they do. Got 'em all back up now, back to cranking.

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:02 am

you know, frenchie, i'm not sure that it would be easy to say how many ppd you would be getting from a particular machine if you have several of them going. fahmon gives a "snapshot" rather than a true ppd total, and depends on the wu being crunched at the moment. extremeoverclocking's stats page lists it for the user, not necessarily by machine. if there's a way to do it, i would support it.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:07 am

You could force a breakdown, name each pc KK1, KK2, KK3. Then the extreme site would give you the specifice, at the cost of the whole thing. It would ruin your position, but you would have so many opportunities to fly up the ranks again. HaHa.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: congrats to Aristide1!

Post by aristide1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:10 am

cordis wrote:Hey, congrats to Aristide1, he's our new number one. It looks like he has enough of a kicker now to pull away from cd8uk
Well I won't be #1 for very long, once Corids passes me that will be the end of that.

I have a theory about why my scores shot up. On my quad board I think the 4th card started folding only because I physically moved it around a little bit, I think the 4th slot connector is too flimsy to securely hold the card. But it's only a theory.

cordis

interesting

Post by cordis » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:12 pm

That's a good thought, if I have any trouble with anything, I usually blame it on heat, I haven't really thought about electrical connection quality. Good thing to think about though, could be plenty of problems with that.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:11 pm

well I got my christmas present early
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.a ... s%20Family

so its up and folding now as of last nite. But im wondering why im not seeing any points updates

cordis

Merry Christmas!

Post by cordis » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Well, that should help out, even when it was running at normal speed, a 285 was good for 8000ppd at least. If you aren't seeing points updates, that's problematic. I guess the obvious thing to check would be to make sure the team name, user and passkey are all correct. If those are looking good, check the log file, make sure it hasn't been dying and restarting. Especially for new hardware, there's always that initial period when you want to make sure it's stable. So check for timeouts and stoppages. And hell, just get temperature monitors up to make sure it's doing something and not overheating, always useful. Although it's been cool enough here lately that I wouldn't suspect overheating at first. ;)

Although updates have also been a little weird lately, especially on the extreme overclocking site, I got the usual 0 at 12pm and another at 3pm, and then a big 20k chunk at 6pm, usually my updates are more even than that. Curious. I hope the point servers aren't getting wonky again.

But hey, looks like you just got a 4k bump, you're doing three and a half of what you do on an average day (and it's not over yet), what are you whining about? You'll be in the red in no time! :D

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Well i made sure it was processing when I left for work.. no visible errors and it wasnt sitting at an EUE msg (like my 6800 did all the time).

but now i see the same thing as others.
a 9am update.. and nothing at noon. followed by lots of blank space. Also I see a massive 7k point spike on friday... wierd.

Next task is to find the right balance between the smp core and the gpu core so i can run both at once.

cordis

Go kittle!

Post by cordis » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:11 pm

Hey, don't worry too much, you're getting something out of it, up to number 14 in the producers list! With a 285 going all day, you should be pushing your way into the top 10, though. Not sure how much you'll need to worry about adjusting smp to gpu folding, I usually just crank them both up, and it works out somehow. So keep up the good work!

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:44 am

Wow... another one of those crazy setups
http://www.sav-computer.com/les-news-f4 ... -t646.html

I wonder what kind of PPD this person would get...

(BTW, intersting one slot GTX260+)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:38 am

Hi,

I'm curious to know if Linux supports the GPU client? If so, I would be tempted to build a machine, that would also act as a NAS...

cordis

linux gpu

Post by cordis » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:46 am

Yes, you can run gpu clients on linux, but you have to do it through the Wine windows emulation system. It isn't too hard to set up, though, I have a few machines set up to run gpus in Ubuntu. Well, ok, to be fair, I've only done it with Nvidia cards, no idea if it would work for AMD stuff. The hardest part is usually getting the graphics drivers set up, and Ubuntu has a simple way to do that, so it's a little easier. If you want my notes on how to do it, let me know.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Go kittle!

Post by kittle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:49 am

cordis wrote:Hey, don't worry too much, you're getting something out of it, up to number 14 in the producers list! With a 285 going all day, you should be pushing your way into the top 10, though. Not sure how much you'll need to worry about adjusting smp to gpu folding, I usually just crank them both up, and it works out somehow. So keep up the good work!
well ive found that if the SMP client is running at 100% cpu then the gpu client will be starved for cycles and wont perform as well. So I have to have the smp client back off enough so the gpu process can send enough work to the card to keep it busy.

and yep - production is picking up nicely :)

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:53 pm

now things are looking more what I expected on the eoc stats page.
Funny that I didnt do any config changes on my pc either.. I just let it run.

shadestalker

Post by shadestalker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:15 am

frenchie wrote:Wow... another one of those crazy setups
http://www.sav-computer.com/les-news-f4 ... -t646.html

I wonder what kind of PPD this person would get...

(BTW, intersting one slot GTX260+)
Whoa. Estimated survivability of those parts... eh, why waste time with complicated math when you could be filling out the RMA form NOW. ;)

That's begging for some kind of unified flow-through solution to pull air across / between all the cards and out the back. And put it in a rack in a datacenter where nobody cares how loud it is.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:01 am

We will be team 50 in about 3 days.

Cordis will be #1 in about 3 hours, only bacause the noon points rarely show up.

Congratulations to Corids.

cordis

yep

Post by cordis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Yep, there I go, thanks!

And kittle, welcome to the 6k+ club and the top 10 producers!

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Congrats, Cordis!

Keep 'em comin' Aris!