mini-ITX case without PSU - looking for

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

akorud

mini-ITX case without PSU - looking for

Post by akorud » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi,
I'm going to build home file/media/backup server based on this motherboard Commell LV-677 motherboard (already have one). The problem is that MB has external notebook-like PSU - that's why I'm looking for case without PSU.
Requirements are simple - MB, maximum 2x3.5 HDD's, no DVD, 120mm cooler will be enough, board is cool - on my table it works with passive cooling.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance..

elpibe10

Post by elpibe10 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:43 pm

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:41 pm

How small do you need the case to be? mini-ITX boards will mount in a normal µATX case. Those pretty much all will accommodate 2X 3.5" drives. Silverstone TJ08 is a nice µATX case that doesn't come with a PSU. There are plenty of less expensive µATX cases of a similar or slightly smaller size, if acoustics and/or looks are less important.

fpsrandy

Post by fpsrandy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:11 pm

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku= ... Technology

I used this case with my atom ion setup. It comes with a 250w spf psu though. BUT that psu takes up too much room in the case, and was over heating my system untill i did a bunch of case modding. It would work perfect if you removed the psu, installed a mini itx board and used an external psu.

It will hold two 3.5" hard drives and one full sized 5.25 optical drive. optionally you could use an adapter and put three 3.5" hard drives with a 5.25" bay adapter.

akorud

Post by akorud » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:53 am

Thanks.
It seems I've found ideal case for my application - Chenbro ES30068. Unfortunately there is PSU, but as I see it's rather impossible to found PSU-less case now :)