Windows 7

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:57 pm

psiu wrote:compatibility with hardware--any new hardware has drivers for both, and it will only go in 7's favor.

battery life--um, they disabled power saving features? that's kind of, oh, important in a BATTERY LIFE comparison, ya think.
I wonder why someone doesn't just test it without the battery installed and the laptop plugged in to a Kill-A-Watt. Instant power consumption readings, at least for comparison purposes. No need to wait for the battery to die.

Planning on doing this once I get my SSD. *sigh* That'll be whenever Amazon gets the Kingston 40GB SSD's in stock so I'm not counting on it to be any time soon.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:58 pm

qviri wrote:
~El~Jefe~ wrote:I would say it quite obviously is meant for 4 to 8 gigs of ram and quad core.
Hahahahahaha.
you laugh here because you are trying to make it seem that it CALLS for that....

in truth its fine on dual core with 2 gigs ram. However, xp doesnt do jack with anything more than 2 cores and 2 gigs. The way windows7 handles things, all at once and smoothly without crashing.... it's hard to explain but you can see it has a lot of headroom to do extra speeding up. also, it can make use of more and more ram above 4 gigs to speed up all apps and well, computing. You stick more stuff on xp and it just rotts. at best it slows down!

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:18 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:
mr. poopyhead wrote: blah, blah, blah...
your video card is not supported in windows7. (ati dropped that) I wouldnt touch win7 without a 3000 series or higher card. that's just a tip. processor wise you are fine.
i'm using classic mode interface... i really doubt i need a 3000 series radeon to do simple things... let me rephrase that.. i really SHOULDN'T need a new(er) video card. besides...my video card has nothing to do with explorer taking 30+ seconds to open a folder with vacation photos in it... my video card has nothing to do with explorer taking 30+ seconds to perform a "sort by date" on the above files... those are just a few annoyances that are getting to me...

actually, although ATi has placed my video card in the legacy bin, the win7 catalyst drivers still work just fine... and fallout3 runs quite nicely, thank you very much, :p

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 am

i quit....

plextor's plextools don't work properly in windows 7, and the built-in disk burning function keeps freezing my computer at the same point in the burning process...

that's it... that's the last straw... i'm going back to XP.
i realize these issues may be curable, or possibly even user error, but i can't be bothered to fiddle with this anymore...

has anyone else abandoned ship yet?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:04 am

mr. poopyhead wrote:i quit....

plextor's plextools don't work properly in windows 7, and the built-in disk burning function keeps freezing my computer at the same point in the burning process...

i realize these issues may be curable, or possibly even user error, but i can't be bothered to fiddle with this anymore...

I use the built-in dvd burning within Windows 7 and I am not going back to XP ever. I do not have any problem whatsoever burning with the built-in disk burning function in Windows 7.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:49 pm

mr. poopyhead wrote:plextor's plextools don't work properly in windows 7, and the built-in disk burning function keeps freezing my computer at the same point in the burning process...

Nope. I'm actually using it for general purpose computing on a test build (was just using it for the HTPC originally) and it works pretty well for me. If I do encounter a problem and there aren't any easy fixes, it's easy enough for me to press the button on the KVM switch and go back to my actual computer running Windows XP. The test build is also on dual-boot with XP but a restart would take longer. :P

Still not upgrading any of my old computers. I just can't be bothered with a clean install.

colm

Post by colm » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:54 am

Darth Santa Fe wrote:I just finished installation today (Home Premium 64), and it's great so far! :D It loads just as fast as XP Home did, it seems to handle processes faster, and I can use all 4Gbs of my RAM now! :D It seems a little bit slower on high graphics 3D games, though. But other than the games, it's great, and I'm happy I got it.

I am not a quibbler of underpowered either, maybe its enough years arguing with oem defaults. vista is just as fast as xp, and does something way way smarter in allowing programs to be large.

I run a prescott, just as content as I will ever be...but I do want 4gb ecc registered, and know about the hog in vista, and xp just treated my system like an old tiny one. ("heap" and os version was the old windows reasoning)

I guess windows 7 could be for me.

I plan to have nearly twinned socket 478 systems, at 5 years old each, brand new to me...vista and 7 and my older xp all have a place, for I didn't chuck my stuff as it got older.

the memory management has always been a real dufus, the nt kernel saved windows, but along came the dufus, it never left exactly....

what is the percentage of vid card use in windows 7 for the os, and browsing, and evryhting beyond specializing just for vid card? that is another rage about windows...the vid card is bigger than my 633 celeron system complete, and it sits there at 5-10% sprites with full aero and every beautiful other think i never asked for.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 pm

I've been using Win7 RTM on both my desktop (a fairly powerful quad-core system) and my netbook (Asus EEE 1000HA) since about a week after it's final build, and I've got to say it's fantastic. Others have already mentioned some of what I'm about to say, but I figured I'd condense it into a list.

Hardware support - this is fairly key, since scalability with newer systems is something that is done better by Win7. XP's multi-core capabilities are starting to show some lacking, while Win7 was built with multi-tasking and 64-bit in mind. Furthermore, with the EOL of XP coming up within a matter of weeks, hardware manufacturers will be hard pressed to find reasons for supporting a dead operating system. Much more hardware is supported and functional from a fresh install, allowing you to at least use the system without it being half-crippled. I reinstalled Win7 Professional on my netbook tonight (it had Ultimate on it, but I had no license, and activation period ran out), and I was able to sign onto the wireless network, download all the drivers, and install them. What's even better - sleep and hibernate were available out of the box!

Hardware support (part 2) - many power saving features have been greatly improved in Win7. One feature in particular (core parking) allows current systems to save power far better than previously possible. Specifically, it lets the system "turn off" cores of a CPU in order to save power. If you're simply using your laptop for word processing or watching a video (something that doesn't require all cores), you can extend your battery life even further.

Usability. Anyone who says that XP is more user-friendly than Win7 simply isn't willing to change. Time and time again, I've introduced family, friends, and random strangers at coffee shops to the way things are setup in Win7 - and every time their response has been "why wasn't it that way in the first place?" Breadcrumb layout in explorer (a feature that was in Vista as well), improved wireless accessibility, simplified and cleaned up start menu, single-icon super bar (something that's wonderful on a laptop/netbook) - the list goes on. I had XP on this netbook for about 6 months, and the moment you ended up with 8 or more windows (something that's very easy to do with IM programs) - good luck finding them in the taskbar. The moment you started installing your commonly used programs - the horribly fanned-out XP start menu would start filling up your screen.

Security - this is one place where things have VASTLY improved in comparison to XP. UAC prompts are simplified and less intrusive, meaning that fewer users will mindlessly click "yes". I could go on for hours about this, but in short Win7 is miles ahead of the near 10-year old operating system.

Libraries - Oh my gosh, libraries. Where would I be without you? The moment you start using multiple locations to store data, or multiple hard drives - these libraries become invaluable. Consolidated data along with built-in indexed search means you get to the files you want faster. Anyone who says that it requires "lots of resources" or "slows down the system" should play with my netbook for a while. Start to finish - you get your work done faster.

Improvement of the built-in tools - Paint got a pretty significant facelift, and I've got to say, I like it. The built-in ISO burner has worked just fine for me so far without any significant hiccups. The Snipping Tool has become pretty invaluable for me recently. Want to send someone a screenshot? Click-click - done. Desktop gadget performance has improved as well - something that used to bog down some Vista systems.

Multi-monitor support and visual effects - I've got a three-monitor setup at home (yes, three), and in terms of programs showing up where they should, window management using Aero snapping, and desktop shortcuts - Win7 is a clear winner again. Flip3D performance has been improved. Win+Up/Left/Right/Down is such a simple keyboard shortcut for window placement and organization. Aero Peek (what happens when you alt-tab and pause over an item) and the new location for the "Show Desktop" button have also been refined.

Windows Media Center - this isn't something that I've played with too much, but after using the XP and Vista Media Centers, the layout and responsiveness are both better IMO.

Now that my rant about my list of improvements is done, I'll go onto another point that many seem to have forgotten over the past 9 years - money. The cost of building an up-to-date system that is capable of handling most day-to-day tasks is by far cheaper today than it was when XP was released. Windows7 version pricing is less than XP was (Win7 Ultimate is cheaper dollar for dollar than XP Professional was), and building a system that's capable of running Windows7 with all the bells and whistles is significantly cheaper than it was in 2001. Are you going to be able to run Win7 with your 9 year-old computer? no. Will you get more out of your computer if you spend ~$500 to build a new one? Most likely.

Marty McFly

Post by Marty McFly » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Win7 sounds great! I actually already own it, but still putting my new PC together, so can’t wait to see it! :)

rustycusak

Post by rustycusak » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 am

I have the some problem. I have a Asus P5E, The X25-M80G2 is on sata port 2, IDE, legacy mode, After the flash i have a S.M.A.R.T failure. I tried to update the firmware again. But the tool says it is already updated. I have Ubuntu 9.10 and W7 RC installed on the disk.

I can sea the disk on a other system whit W7 on it. I can't create a partition or delete one Is there any solution?

jackvinsly

Post by jackvinsly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:53 pm

My specs for PC:

Bios: ver-08.00.12
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600
Memory: 4 MB RAM
Graphics: XFX 8800GTS 350 MB
OS HDD: Intel xm25 80Gb
Processor: Core to due(Intel)

slingshotuk

Post by slingshotuk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:50 am

I've been blown away by Windows 7. After the averageness that was Vista Win 7 really fixes all the problems - seems that MS have finally nailed it.

Installed on an old AMD 3200+ and it runs really well.. Just put on my new Phenom 9950 desktop system and it's a dream.. Really quick.

Best part about Win 7 is the USB support - it just works. No more complaints about device in use etc..