A nvidia 260 gtx card that doesn't squeal?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DG

A nvidia 260 gtx card that doesn't squeal?

Post by DG » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm referring to the high pitch sound that a lot of 260 cards do (not because of the fan, but because of the coils on the card...). Is any card, from some manufacture, immune to this?

DG

Post by DG » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:10 am

Anyone? I need to buy a new video card with low heat output and the performance of a 260 gtx card. I have a 8800GT now and i was thinking for something twice as fast...I don't really want an ATI card, i've always had nvidia cards in my pcs. :oops:

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:13 pm

You want a card with a low heat output so you're choosing a GTX 260?!? Something is wrong with your "low heat output" concept, really! :lol:
Do yourself a favor and get a 5770, there's no sane reason to stick with one or the other brand unless you are a shareholder. Please don't name drivers as their stability is on par with nVidia's own ones. Also, I have no memory of nVidia cards that don't squeal, even slightly, but could name all of the ATI cards I owned, handled or tested and none of them squealed.

DG

Post by DG » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:41 pm

..."low heat output" as opposed to the 280 GTX. :) The 260 GTX with 216, 55 nm core is pretty easy to cool silently. Maybe i'm wrong, but that's what i've read. But they all squeal, at least for the ones that have a factory default pcb and components.

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:50 pm

It's not, trust me. I have one. Anything above 45% fan speed is noisy, but is needed to stay at or below 80° at heavy load.

Piet

Post by Piet » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Parappaman wrote:*snip*
there's no sane reason to stick with one or the other brand unless you are a shareholder.
*snip*
I can assure you every linux user who's had the questionable pleasure of owning an ati card will tell you this is not true. If you intend on using linux there's a very good reason to prefer nvidia.
Now in response to the OP, I've replaced my gtx260's stock cooler with an accelero s1 rev2 and stuck two 120mm fans on. The stock cooling was nowhere near quiet enough. Also my card (made by asus) does produce the high pitch sound you're asking about, but only under heavy load and it's not loud enough to annoy me. In fact I can only hear it if I focus on it and it's quiet outside. It's certainly not as annoying as the stock cooling was imho.