Need Quiet Advice for i5 gaming rig

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

letsrahk

Need Quiet Advice for i5 gaming rig

Post by letsrahk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:15 am

I'm looking for advice and tips on what I can do to make my planned gaming computer as quiet as possible. I'm not looking for silent and I plan to overclock but who better to ask for help getting a system as quiet as possible than at SPCR?

Tentative planned build:
Case: Antec P183
PSU: Antec CP-850
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 - would like to overclock
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
RAM: G.SKILL ECO series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: Intel X25-M G2 80GB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Toxic
Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem
TIM: IC Diamond 7

Will be running Win7 64bit.

I do plan to overclock so I am looking for quiet performance. I'm open to any component suggestions/recommendations as well but the parts where I know I definitely need some advice on would be....

1. What fans would you recommend on the Megahalem?
2. How do I actually hook up 2 fans push/pull? -noob question I know but I'm wondering about do I just simply use a splitter and connect to MOBO? or do I connect one to MOBO and other molex etc?
3. What case fans would you recommend and what placement?
4. Is Acoustipak sound dampening material worthwhile or helpful with the P183 if overclocking? My concern is while it may block some noise, the system may run hotter and therefore cause more noise production?

Can't wait to see how the silent expert community can help me! Thanks!

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:18 am

My opinion is that you are better off going with a PWM CPU fan on an overclocked system, and from experience I would recommend the Akasa Apache Black from for example http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10345 ... Black.html. This will give you a quiet idle, and can run up to 1300 rpm (more like 1400 rpm in practice) if the load on the CPU requires it. Not cheap, but certainly very good. If you want/need to go push-pull add another one, and the Akasa PWM splitter cable http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10350 ... CB002.html.

It is not unusual for users of PWM splitter cables to replace 120mm exhaust fans with PWM fans and also link those to the cable - the exhaust fan then speeds up in unison with the CPU fan which makes sense with a gaming system. At idle the Akasa fan can run under its 600 rpm spec so with no or light loads you get a very quiet system.

letsrahk

Post by letsrahk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Any other input?

Rucker

Re: Need Quiet Advice for i5 gaming rig

Post by Rucker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:07 am

letsrahk wrote:
1. What fans would you recommend on the Megahalem?
2. How do I actually hook up 2 fans push/pull? -noob question I know but I'm wondering about do I just simply use a splitter and connect to MOBO? or do I connect one to MOBO and other molex etc?
3. What case fans would you recommend and what placement?
4. Is Acoustipak sound dampening material worthwhile or helpful with the P183 if overclocking? My concern is while it may block some noise, the system may run hotter and therefore cause more noise production?

Can't wait to see how the silent expert community can help me! Thanks!
I'm part of the silent community, but not an expert. My input:

1. I've run tests on my old i920 and my current i860. Push/pull really doesn't save more than 3C, even at 3.8GHz. I wouldn't bother with it unless you're benchmarking, and then you probably wouldn't worry about noise. I'm using a 1200rpm Slipstream with a fan controller. A Delta 38mm high pressure fan on a Megahalems on the i920 system gave about 2C better results than a 1600rpm Slipstream.
2. Unless you're running a pair of powerful Deltas, a y-splitter to any fan header on your mobo should work. For PWM, only one fan RPMs will be detected on a PWM header, though.
3. I'm using an Antec Solo, and my system is inaudible (base speed, not OC'd, 600rpm exhaust and CPU fans, 400rpm intake fans, temps in the 20s)
4. I insulated my case with limp mass vinyl, used in recording studios to block sound. My temps are fine, and as long as your airflow is good, I don't see sound insulation as an inhibitor.

letsrahk

Post by letsrahk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Rucker wrote:
I'm part of the silent community, but not an expert. My input:

1. I've run tests on my old i920 and my current i860. Push/pull really doesn't save more than 3C, even at 3.8GHz. I wouldn't bother with it unless you're benchmarking, and then you probably wouldn't worry about noise. I'm using a 1200rpm Slipstream with a fan controller. A Delta 38mm high pressure fan on a Megahalems on the i920 system gave about 2C better results than a 1600rpm Slipstream.
2. Unless you're running a pair of powerful Deltas, a y-splitter to any fan header on your mobo should work. For PWM, only one fan RPMs will be detected on a PWM header, though.
3. I'm using an Antec Solo, and my system is inaudible (base speed, not OC'd, 600rpm exhaust and CPU fans, 400rpm intake fans, temps in the 20s)
4. I insulated my case with limp mass vinyl, used in recording studios to block sound. My temps are fine, and as long as your airflow is good, I don't see sound insulation as an inhibitor.

So how worth while are fan controllers? Do you actually find yourself actually using it to change things much?

It seems most people around here use a certain amount of RPM. Doesn't it make more sense to use PWM? Or is it that most PWM fans aren't as quiet?

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:18 am

Check the manual for your ASUS mb. My P45 ASUS mb has two 3 pin fan headers that can control the speed of chassis fans. PWM is not the only way to automatically control fan speed.

How much cooling capacity is needed is highly dependent on the video card the load placed on the CPU and the ambient temp where the PC is located.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:35 am

b_rubenstein wrote:PWM is not the only way to automatically control fan speed.
Correct, but the prescence of a PWM CPU fan socket on the motherboard is clearly a sign that this is the default method. The main point about PWM CPU fans and modern multi-core CPUs is that the PWM fan senses temperatures through Digital Temperature Sensors located on each core of the CPU. If you decide to use a non-PWM CPU fan and for example Asus Fan Xpert then CPU temperature can only be read through the traditional CPU temperature sensor located under the CPU socket. This is not as good as reading individual core temperatures.

The issue I think is that with overclocked Core i7s (which is the case here) it can be difficult to forecast just how hot the CPU is going to get. A PWM fan gives a degree of safety margin because it will always speed up as core temperatures increase, that is how hot the CPU actually is as opposed to what an external sensor says it is.

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:07 am

lodestar wrote: The main point about PWM CPU fans and modern multi-core CPUs is that the PWM fan senses temperatures through Digital Temperature Sensors located on each core of the CPU.
Fans sense nothing unless they have their own built in temp sensor. The BIOS controls the fans based on sensor readings located on the MB. PWM is just one method of controlling fan speed. I suspect that the only advantage that it has over changing the voltage level going to the fan is that it's cheaper to implement.

dragan

Post by dragan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:57 pm

letsrahk wrote: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
...just a quick warning note on that mobo
there's a high-pitched noise problem reported (given you want it silent) - well, as I could see with hundreds of those - seems that exact model is always the case, and in 'idle' (which is worst scenario IMO) - goes away if you turn off c-states - which seems to turn off the turbo boost as well (as it seems to need to c-state some cores to boost others, something like that - not 100% sure on this one, but pretty:))...
that's a short story - I've been running around the same configuration pretty much for a week or so - decided for e pro - but this put me off for good - I have a few other devices that had that same squeal, coils or something - and i hate it - now gone to GA P55A ones...
mine is based on CoolerMaster Sileo and CHIEFTEC APS-750C...
otherwise card looks just perfect...
hope this helps...

letsrahk

Post by letsrahk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:11 pm

dragan wrote:
letsrahk wrote: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
...just a quick warning note on that mobo
there's a high-pitched noise problem reported (given you want it silent) - well, as I could see with hundreds of those - seems that exact model is always the case, and in 'idle' (which is worst scenario IMO) - goes away if you turn off c-states - which seems to turn off the turbo boost as well (as it seems to need to c-state some cores to boost others, something like that - not 100% sure on this one, but pretty:))...
that's a short story - I've been running around the same configuration pretty much for a week or so - decided for e pro - but this put me off for good - I have a few other devices that had that same squeal, coils or something - and i hate it - now gone to GA P55A ones...
mine is based on CoolerMaster Sileo and CHIEFTEC APS-750C...
otherwise card looks just perfect...
hope this helps...
So did you confirm turning c-state does get rid of the noise? I was thinking if I end up Overclocking the turboboost sometimes needs to be shut off anyways?

dragan

Post by dragan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:19 am

letsrahk wrote: So did you confirm turning c-state does get rid of the noise? I was thinking if I end up Overclocking the turboboost sometimes needs to be shut off anyways?
...I'm no expert, just pointing you to what I stumbled on by accident really – as who in the right mind would search for “P7P55D-E Pro Noiseâ€

dragan

Post by dragan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 am

letsrahk wrote: So did you confirm turning c-state does get rid of the noise? I was thinking if I end up Overclocking the turboboost sometimes needs to be shut off anyways?
...also, noise only happens when idle (not under load) - which kind of makes sense, it's then when some cores are turned off (c-state), other(s) auto-overclocked (turbo boost)
...and not sure if overclocking you wanna do (manual) really conflicts with the c-states or turbo boost - no idea about that...

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:29 pm

is it just me or does your psu look way overkill?
i reckon a signature 650 will do the job just fine...

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:36 am

the signature costs a lot more here in the states... he can get the cp-850 for $110, shipped to his door, from amazon.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:52 pm

I plan on upgrading my P182 gaming system with something pretty similar to your planned system.

My plan is to buy a Scythe Kaze Server and use that to control the fans in my build in semi-auto mode, so that the fans ramp up at a certain temperature automatically.

I'm planning on the following fan configuration

2 x Nexus on the Megahalems in push/pull
Nexus or Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150rpm on front middle intake (been wanting to try the GT)
Nexus on rear exhaust (might possibly try a Scythe Kama PWM connected to CPU header instead - again as a bit of an experiment that I've been wanting to try)
Scythe S-Flex E on top exhaust

The Kaze Server has four fan control headers, so I plan on using something like this:

1 - y splitter with both Nexuses on CPU
2 - rear Nexus
3 - top S-Flex
4 - front Nexus/GT

If I try the Kama PWM on rear exhaust, I'll remove the Y-splitter for the CPU fans and have them independently controlled.

Anyway, just figured I'd share my plans and thoughts so that you might get some ideas as well.

letsrahk

Post by letsrahk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:56 pm

850w GPU is way overkill in terms of power, but the CP-850 is actually a fairly cheap powersupply and is from reviews I've read is very very quiet, especially when you are not maxing it which my system won't. So I get a cheap, powerful, upgradable, and quiet power supply. Seems the best of all worlds.

Yeah, the MOBO issue I wonder about. The reason I'm considering E version is for USB3/sata6. But until those devices really come out, who knows if ASUS implementation will work well. That being said I do plan to overclock so the c-state noise at least for now wouldn't be a problem.

I've considered, and would like input, of say a non USB3/SATA6 board? I would still plan to overclock, and if USB3/SATA6 becomes more mainstream before I upgrade CPU/MOBO I would likely buy an addon PCI-E card to run USB3/SATA6.

As far as cooler is concerned. Any thoughts about the Scythe Gentle Typhoon's on the Mega instead of the Nexus?