Please recommend a AM3 Quad-Core CPU cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

McBainUK

Please recommend a AM3 Quad-Core CPU cooler

Post by McBainUK » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:42 am

Please recommend a AM3 Quad-Core CPU cooler for me. Under load, while playing COD for example, the stock fan spins top speed and is VERY loud.

I've been looking at the £22 Xigmatek HDT-S1283 from the recommended list. Is it suitable? Don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong thing. Note: I'm not going for super-quiet here just want a PC that doesn't sound like an plane taking off!

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Motherboard: ASUS M4A77TD PRO 770
Case: Cooler Master Cavalier 3 Mid-Tower

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:46 am

Raise a bit your budget and get a Scythe Mugen 2. You'll use it for YEARS, don't skimp on this expense! :wink:

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:34 am

Hi, I would say the HDT-S1283 is probably a great choice for the money. Obviously if you spend more money you can get bigger and better, depend it you think you'll want to keep and carry it forward to future builds or if the cooler will stay with the CPU, where ever it ends up. SPCR's review of the S1283 found it to perform pretty close to the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme so I'm not sure how much better the current best are, maybe more noticeable on very hot CPUs, your X4 955 probably qualifies as one too!
I've got a HDT-S963 (£14) on my Dad's E6600 CPU and I'm very impressed. This is 92mm fan, 6mm heat pipes, 3 of and even thought the CPU is over clocked to nearly 3GHz it keeps it cool even with a swapped fan running at very low 600rpm! I've really surprised how good it is, the 120mm fan, 8mm heat pipes, 3 of S1283 you're looking at should be even better, Probably needed on an AMD quad core though. I think the direct touch heat pipes actually work and are not just a marketing gimmick. My VGA cooler has direct touch heat pipes and it works pretty well too.
Regards, Seb

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:25 pm

From memory, the S1283 will only mount horizontally on AMD motherboards, either blowing air up into the PSU (if top mounted) or down onto the graphics card, depending on which way you install your fan.

It looks like your case has a top-mounted PSU, so blowing hot air into your PSU may cause it to heat up and therefore the PSU fan will speed up to cool your PSU, causing the noise of your system to rise.

Blowing hot air at the underside of your graphics card would be less than ideal as well.

FWIW, the Mugen 2 mounts correctly in a vertical orientation on AMD motherboards, blowing air towards the rear exhaust fan, although it is apparently a real pain to install. If it were me, I'd make the stretch and buy the Mugen 2.

petieken

Post by petieken » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:07 am

I vote for Mugen 2 also, my brother uses one and it has great performance.

idale

Post by idale » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:42 am

JamieG wrote:From memory, the S1283 will only mount horizontally on AMD motherboards, either blowing air up into the PSU (if top mounted) or down onto the graphics card, depending on which way you install your fan.
Correct. It still works well (though my cases are P180/P182 so "up" is either an exhaust or nothing), but if you don't want to be blowing warm air up or down, it's not the right choice. (An unfortunately common issue with heatsinks on AMD sockets.)

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:38 am

That's where Xiggy's own Crossbow ATI-775 comes into play. It's a mounting kit to allow their HDT heatsinks free orientation on AMD boards, just like they do on Intel.
Still, if size is not an issue to the OP, I'd go with Mugen 2.

McBainUK

Thought I'd post an update

Post by McBainUK » Sat May 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Splashed out on the Scythe Mugen 2. Install is tricky partly due to having to take the motherboard out and screw from behind and partly due to it's sheer size!

After a 2 hour BF/COD session I can barely hear it :) Thank you to all for your advice.