Scythe Setsugen is doable on 5770, details inside.

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cyberspyder

Scythe Setsugen is doable on 5770, details inside.

Post by cyberspyder » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:03 pm

ON THIS:

DOABLE!
Dear Mr. Kong,

thank you very much for your inquiry and the interest in Scythe items.

Problem you will have with 5750/5770 cards with dual slot. Musashi or Setsugen will hit the to height DVI Port.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or require
further information. Thank you again for your interest in Scythe item.
Your Ticket-ID: 1484
Ticket-Status: new

Best regards,
Robert Figiel
So yeah, I'm first in line to do this with my 5770 :)

Brendan[/img]

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:28 pm

but how loud is that powercolor with the arctic cooling L2 pro that's already on it?

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:03 am

CA_Steve wrote:but how loud is that powercolor with the arctic cooling L2 pro that's already on it?
I am pretty sure that is just an Accelero L2, which is the OEM version of the Accelero L2 pro with less mass and a different fan.
The OEM version is quite a bit louder if I remember the reviews correctly.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:27 am

Basically, Scythe's EU division said that it's possible to fit a Setsugen on if the 5770/5750 doesn't have stacked SVI posts. This means that any other cooler designed for the prior gen of ATI cards will word as well, on sigle-slot cards.

bradyapba

Post by bradyapba » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Did you do it?

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:14 pm

CA_Steve wrote:but how loud is that powercolor with the arctic cooling L2 pro that's already on it?
The L2 pro is reported on some reviews to be 36-38 dba at full speed. I have no idea how they translate this into slient.

alanoo

Re: Scythe Setsugen is doable on 5770, details inside.

Post by alanoo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:11 am

cyberspyder wrote:ON THIS:

Actually almost anything will fit on this card, it is not a reference design card.

The problem on the ref design card is not natively the dual slot DVI port, but it is the GPU which is a lot more closer to the ports than on any other card; that's why coolers hit the dual slot ports.

Almost every non reference design 5770 have relocated the GPU to clear these issues, you could see on this particular one they basically switched the VRM/power modules and GPU positions compared to the ref one.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:43 am

Presumably the VRMs don't need much cooling since they don't even have heatsinks on this card. That would seem to make it ideal for heatsink replacement.

jinxdone

Post by jinxdone » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:22 pm

I just installed a setsugen on my PowerColor 5770 1Gb card, exactly the same one as the thread starter was planning. The cooler fits the card well, no major problems. The original cooler was also easy to remove.

The only slight issue I had was with the small memory chip cooling fins. They hit the base of the cooler if you set the fins centered because some of the chips are quite close to the gpu and overlap the base of the setsugen when you install it. Moving the memory chip fins away from the gpu (so its offset on the mem. chip) about 4mm is enough for clearance.

I know you might not actually even need to install the memory fins since there was no cooling for them originally, but I figured what the heck since I had the cooling fins for it.. it wont hurt.

As for cooling performance the setsugen seems to be adequate on the slowest setting for this card, which is what I was hoping for. I'll try if it's possible to run the card passive after i get the rest of the parts I'm still missing from my new system.