What's better; ninja or mugen on a Q6600[?]

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BlackWhizz

What's better; ninja or mugen on a Q6600[?]

Post by BlackWhizz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Well, i have a cpu to cool on a silent way.

Its a Q6600 (105w TDP) in a P180 Mini but i was wondering what cooler gives me the best temps on a low rpm (800 and less). Both wont cool the cpu passive i guess.

Whats the best cooler for this cpu?

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:25 pm

i think that the mugen2 cools better than the ninja, but it's a pain to install.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 pm

The Mugen is the better cooler, but as the rpms go down the Ninja becomes stronger. SPCR has tested both. See how they both do with a Nexus at 7 volts.

If you are thinking passive, you should try the Ninja with a 300 rpm fan. See if it works for you. It might. If not increment the fan up until the point you are comfortable with it. Actually step 2 might be to add a second 300 rpm fan if one doesn't do it. I bet two 300 rpm fans on a ninja will do it for you.

If you do get the ninja, get the optional mounting kit so that you don't have to use the difficult (and possibly insecure for such a large heat sink) pushpin setup.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:13 am

danimal wrote:i think that the mugen2 cools better than the ninja, but it's a pain to install.
I installed the mugen before (on a friends pc). I found it good to do. You just need some books to support the motherboard when you want to install the cooler.
ces wrote:The Mugen is the better cooler, but as the rpms go down the Ninja becomes stronger. SPCR has tested both. See how they both do with a Nexus at 7 volts.

If you are thinking passive, you should try the Ninja with a 300 rpm fan. See if it works for you. It might. If not increment the fan up until the point you are comfortable with it. Actually step 2 might be to add a second 300 rpm fan if one doesn't do it. I bet two 300 rpm fans on a ninja will do it for you.

If you do get the ninja, get the optional mounting kit so that you don't have to use the difficult (and possibly insecure for such a large heat sink) pushpin setup.
I think i will get the ninja then. I hope to have my pc run on a max rpm (of all fans) of 800. At 800RPm my pc becomes inaudible (if the cpu cooler isnt running, its a loud one stock intel cooler).

And wanted to mount my cooler with screws so im getting a Thermalright BoltThru kit with the cooler. I dont want to hang my 800gram cpu cooler on a few pushpins.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:49 am

Why are you not considering the Promlimatech or the Thermalright HR-01 plus, the two top rated SPCR coolers?

They are both quiet and powerful.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:52 am

ces wrote:Why are you not considering the Promlimatech or the Thermalright HR-01 plus, the two top rated SPCR coolers?

They are both quiet and powerful.
They are quite expensive :P Also i like the look of a huge cooler on a small board :P Scythe has both (nice price and hugeness :D).

Piet

Post by Piet » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:41 am

The mugen 2 should do nicely and will probably be cheaper than a ninja all things considered. I was very impressed with how quiet it was on my stock q6600, the included pwm fan is really good.
I'm not sure what rpm's it was running under load at stock speeds as it's been overclocked and running folding@home for ages now. If you're really interested I could find out though.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:54 am

Piet wrote:The mugen 2 should do nicely and will probably be cheaper than a ninja all things considered. I was very impressed with how quiet it was on my stock q6600, the included pwm fan is really good.
I'm not sure what rpm's it was running under load at stock speeds as it's been overclocked and running folding@home for ages now. If you're really interested I could find out though.
Interesting: What OC settings do you run and what are the temps while running folding? Also could you tell me something about the airflow in your case?

Piet

Post by Piet » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:31 am

Sure, but I should mention It's not quiet at the settings I currently run, all my fans are at their max for these settings. I want to keep my cores below 60c for 24/7 folding.
It's at 3600mhz @ 1.4825v(bios), my case is a p182 using gentle typhoons for top and rear exhaust (both at 1395rpm). There's two intake fans, one scythe pwm fan directly below my dvd-drive running of the cpu header using a pwm split cable and another 1000rpm fan below that. Cpu fan is at 1100~rpm, front intake 1200~rpm.
There's also a gtx260 in there folding away that dumps its heat into the case.
With this the cpu sits at 56c for the two hottest cores and 54-52 for the colder ones.

Normally I keep the cpu around 3300mhz, where it only needs 1.32v. This allows me to turn the exhaust fans to 870rpm(very quiet), the front intake to 500 and turn on the pwm control to keep the cpu+ front intake around 800rpm at load. Temps are similar to what they are now with those settings.

edit: for the sake of completeness I should mention the cpu is lapped, but the mugen is unmodified.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:15 am

Piet wrote:Sure, but I should mention It's not quiet at the settings I currently run, all my fans are at their max for these settings. I want to keep my cores below 60c for 24/7 folding.
It's at 3600mhz @ 1.4825v(bios), my case is a p182 using gentle typhoons for top and rear exhaust (both at 1395rpm). There's two intake fans, one scythe pwm fan directly below my dvd-drive running of the cpu header using a pwm split cable and another 1000rpm fan below that. Cpu fan is at 1100~rpm, front intake 1200~rpm.
There's also a gtx260 in there folding away that dumps its heat into the case.
With this the cpu sits at 56c for the two hottest cores and 54-52 for the colder ones.

Normally I keep the cpu around 3300mhz, where it only needs 1.32v. This allows me to turn the exhaust fans to 870rpm(very quiet), the front intake to 500 and turn on the pwm control to keep the cpu+ front intake around 800rpm at load. Temps are similar to what they are now with those settings.

edit: for the sake of completeness I should mention the cpu is lapped, but the mugen is unmodified.
Thanks! Appreciate it that you will tell it to me in such details!

Tough decision :P