Fan Controller Noise issue.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

strat2131

Fan Controller Noise issue.

Post by strat2131 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:25 pm

My fan controller makes a long whistle noise when its not at either exactly 5volt or 12v. This is abit annoying because some of my fans only turn on at 7volt. Im thinking it might have something to do with the PWM cable they gave, I couldnt plug it in because its underneath my CPU and taking it out is a good day job.

What does this PWM cable (the instruction says it plugs into the CPU fan header on the mobo) do?

And would the lack of it cause this whistle noise, or is it just a dud controller (was the cheapest)?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=13206

The controller makes this whistle noise with only jst 1 fan pluged straight into it, so im pretty sure its not a cable/fan issue.

ascl

Post by ascl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:42 pm

How does the PWM cable connect to the controller? Based on the link there are 3x 3 pin fan headers at the back only (and the molex of course)... so I can't see where you would plug in a PWM cable?

If I had to guess, I'd say its a Y cable that allows you to monitor the fan's RPM (ie the 'sensor' cable is split)... but not sure. Its also a little odd that the fan headers have different specs (ie FAN1 doesn't have the full range). And... it states its a PWM controller, and yet it gives voltage ranges! (A PWM controller actually always sends the same voltage, but it doesn't send a consistent signal, it pulses).

EDIT: It doesn't seem likely that the PWM cable will make any difference to the noise. The pulsing can cause some fans to tick or otherwise be noisy. Are you sure the noise is coming from the controller itself?

strat2131

Post by strat2131 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Yeah for sure its the fan controller, checked with the fan not spinning. Checked as well with the rear fan and still noise from controller.

Theres 2 versions of this fan controller, the one in the pic doesnt have the pwm out but my one does does. The manual says to connect to the motherboard cpu fan header (the 4 pin.)

The labels on the ports say CPUFAN FAN2 FAN3 PWM MOLEX.

It is a very annoying noise.

Thx for your reply

ascl

Post by ascl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:40 pm

I can't find information on it anywhere :( Although its not really surprising I guess, Deep Cool is a chinese brand that gets relabeled a bit I think. So its probably listed under another brand.

Anyway, I would guess that the idea is to provide a signal to the motherboard, as some motherboards have a CPU fan protection option in the bios that will cause the computer to shutdown if the CPU fan isn't spinning (or nothing is connected to the header). So connecting something between the fan controller and the CPU header would make the bios think a fan is spinning, and also allow you to monitor the speed the fan is spinning. Probably FAN1, but... I'm just guessing here, I don't have the controller so can't say for sure.

EDIT: If 7 volts is a good speed, why don't you wire your fans directly to the PSU at 7v?

strat2131

Post by strat2131 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:23 am

Yeh, ill just wire it directly. Sorta a useless fan controller tho if it can only switch between 5v and 12v. Cant be bothered to rma or refund it, so i just use it until i can get a better controller.

Thanks for your help

ascl

Post by ascl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:36 am

I have the extreme version of this:
http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/produc ... ts_id=1286

which works very well (although the LEDs are stupidly bright... its a simple mod to remove em tho).