Any news from Antec?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Mates

Any news from Antec?

Post by Mates » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:28 am

I'm in the market for a new micro ATX case. I currently have the AntecSolo, but want a smaller PC now.

I'm looking for something along the lines of Nsk 3480. But i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a new version comming within the next few months?

Reason why i dont just by the 3480 is for one, that i don't need the floppy drive bay - and maybe a new updated version would leave this out completely? Making the design a bit nicer imo :)

Also, It seems Antec havent presented alot of new products lately, so maybe they are on the brink of releasing some updates?

PS: Optional PSU would be cool aswell

Bradshaw

Post by Bradshaw » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:00 am

There's always the Silverstone TJ08 or the Silverstone Sugo SG03-F - in the latter you can use a Scythe Big Shuriken and get two really silent case fans.

Antec_Rep

Re: Any news from Antec?

Post by Antec_Rep » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:36 am

Mates wrote:I'm in the market for a new micro ATX case. I currently have the AntecSolo, but want a smaller PC now.

I'm looking for something along the lines of Nsk 3480. But i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a new version comming within the next few months?

Reason why i dont just by the 3480 is for one, that i don't need the floppy drive bay - and maybe a new updated version would leave this out completely? Making the design a bit nicer imo :)

Also, It seems Antec havent presented alot of new products lately, so maybe they are on the brink of releasing some updates?

PS: Optional PSU would be cool aswell
Hi Mates,

As far as I know, we are not releasing an updated version of the NSK3480 within the next 4-6 months. I'm not sure what we are going to do after that, product development may decide to update it or they may just create another case that is similar to the NSK3480.

As for the new products, we are releasing a few new gaming cases in June. The Lanboy Air and the Dark Fleet (DF-35 & DF-85) series.

http://www.futurelooks.com/ces-2010-ant ... ct-of-ces/

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Antec

quest_for_silence

Re: Any news from Antec?

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Mates wrote:I'm looking for something along the lines of Nsk 3480.

Currently I'm in the market for the same need (a small mATX case).

I'm almost sure that I won't go for another NSK3480 (I already have one), due to its not so good PSU, a really horrible/inhesistent cable management, an actual sub par drive mounting, and an annoying slightly insufficient internal dimensions (I mean just less than one inch, but no clearance at all around the mobo). Nevertheless I will even consider it again if Antec would start to sell it without the loud EarthWatt PSU.

AFAIK there are not several alternatives, with reference to the NSK3480 dimensions.

The few ones (I don't regard any case which has any dimension in excess of 15,3"/39cm) that I've found up to now are:

1) Aerocool QS-200, maybe a bit crap, aestetically "so and so", but affordable: for silencers an absolutely unknown wild card, but it may worth a try;

2) Chieftec Series 300A (models SD01B, CD01B, DB02B), it seems a decent case, available with or without a 355W PSU, several colors/faceplates, not widely available (in Europe, at least);

3) Cooler Master Elite 340 (unfortunately it's EOL), very similar to AeroCool one, with an a bit more "el cheapo"/ugly appearance (even if beauty is on the eye of the beholder) than the QS200's one, very affordable;

4) Silverstone Sugo SG03 and SG04, well looking aluminium jewels, they're pricey and they may only use low profile (82mm) CPU heatsinks (but there's plenty of space for videocards): old versions (non -F ones) still available are to be preferred, according to me;

5) Silverstone Temjin TJ08, an overrated copy of the a bit crappy CM E340, but with a beautiful aluminium faceplate and more than twice the price tag, it's one of SPCR favourites;

6) Techsolo TC-600, similar concept of TJ08 (I mean a crappy body with an alu fascia), terrible (for silencers) PSU, a bit expensive, may not use some tower heatsinks as it is slimmer than ordinary minitowers, and which I guess it's not widely available outside Europe.

Among the so called "cubes", the only one I like up to now is the Langear DA Box 100, which has plenty of space, but it's also expensive (anyway, I'd rather a mini tower than the cube format).

Regards,
Luca

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:15 am

Some further possible alternatives (with reference only to dimensions) to the NSK3480:

7) Apex TM Series;

8] Codegen M100 Series;

9) InWin EM Series;
10) InWin V Series.

Regards,
Luca

sheltem

Post by sheltem » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:18 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Some further possible alternatives (with reference only to dimensions) to the NSK3480:

7) Apex TM Series;

8] Codegen M100 Series;

9) InWin EM Series;
10) InWin V Series.

Regards,
Luca
Thanks for the list Lucas. There were a lot of cases/brands I've never heard of! I'm rocking a P180 mini right now and debating whether I want to go smaller (one of your listed cases) or go laptop only!

Mates

Post by Mates » Mon May 03, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks for the replies. Luca thanks for the list, I will look into it and see if something appeals to me.

Too bad imo, that Antec wont update an otherwise cool Matx case. Lets see what has happened 6 months from now! Seems the gamers are in focus for at the moment :)

Oh yeah: On my wishlist from Lian Li is a Matx version of this nice litte case:
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... s_index=63

hans007

Post by hans007 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:50 pm

sheltem wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:Some further possible alternatives (with reference only to dimensions) to the NSK3480:

7) Apex TM Series;

8] Codegen M100 Series;

9) InWin EM Series;
10) InWin V Series.

Regards,
Luca
Thanks for the list Lucas. There were a lot of cases/brands I've never heard of! I'm rocking a P180 mini right now and debating whether I want to go smaller (one of your listed cases) or go laptop only!
I've got an Intel V605. Its a very nice case, even the side fan has an air filter.

Intel dev / show systems all use InWin cases so they are a pretty good brand. Some of InWin's cases are actually built to intel reference designs for cooling as well.

GuyClinch

Post by GuyClinch » Sun May 16, 2010 5:18 pm

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... s_index=63

Q08 sweet case IMHO. People might scoff at the perforated front but you can still keep that case below the noise floor where I live. Even with everything shut off its still often around 35-40dbs..

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Sun May 16, 2010 5:30 pm

GuyClinch wrote:http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... s_index=63

Q08 sweet case IMHO. People might scoff at the perforated front but you can still keep that case below the noise floor where I live. Even with everything shut off its still often around 35-40dbs..
That's a cool case, but it's a mini ITX case, not a Micro ATX case as is the 3480.