has anyone ever taken apart a Vapor-X?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dragonfire

has anyone ever taken apart a Vapor-X?

Post by dragonfire » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:14 am

Hi all,

I have a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X that I bought a few months back. It sounded great for the first few weeks, then the fan began to rattle.

My first thought was to slap an accelero S1 on it, but the card is too small to fit it without heavy modification (see here).

Also, this would ruin my investment in the Vapor-X heatsink that seems to work quite well. So I am considering alternatives. Wondering if anyone has any experience disassembling the Vapor-X cooler. Here's what it looks like:

I was thinking of pulling the plastic piece off (looks like it unscrews at the corners) and pulling the fan out (looks like it unscrews between the fins of the heat sink). Then I would try to find a way to attach a Nexus 120mm fan in place of the stock fan. Not sure quite how I'm going to do this though (not as easy as zip tying a fan to an accelero...)

All thoughts/comments appreciated!
--J

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:36 pm

I don't have any experience on this, but these guys did some disassembly: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews ... lock/2.htm

It looks like your best bet is trying reseating/lubricating the stock fan or adjusting the fan profile, otherwise all you'll have to is zip-tie a fan on it through the cooler's fins. Check an old article here about doing the same on a stock Intel 775 cooler, it's very easy and straightforward anyway.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:03 pm

I'll have to take some photos for comparison, but I think you might actually be able to fit a Scythe Setsugen on that card without modification.

dragonfire

Post by dragonfire » Sat May 01, 2010 8:41 am

I hadn't seen the Setsugen before. An interesting option.

My guess, though is that it won't fit. The DVI box (not sure if you can see it in the picture) sticks out an inch or so and is tall enough to block every cooler I've know of...

=(

dragonfire

Post by dragonfire » Sat May 01, 2010 8:45 am

I can't find the post you referred to RE: zip-tying a fan to a 775 cooler. Would probably be very helpful if you could find a link...

The only difficulty I foresee is that a 120mm fan is so much larger than the heatsink...

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Sat May 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Here's an idea: you could buy the Scythe Kama Stay! It's a fantastic product when you can find it on sale (around 16$) and basically takes an empty PCI slot and you can mount fans in many different positions/angles. It even comes with a controlled 120mm slim fan! It can hold 2x120mm or a single 140mm. Take a look over Scythe Europe website for more information (no info on the US site for some reason). I saw a post on this forum from someone who bought it.

dragonfire

Post by dragonfire » Sat May 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Interesting! Does anyone know if the Scythe Kama Stay is quiet?

I suppose if it's noisy, I could always use it as a platform for a Nexus...

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Sat May 01, 2010 1:22 pm

The Scythe Setsugen is 2.5" from the rear (IO Panel) edge to the center of the GPU. I posted some photos in a different thread: viewtopic.php?p=509702

dragonfire

Post by dragonfire » Sun May 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for the link! It sure looks great on your card...

I don't think it will fit mine though. For one, the GPU on mine appears closer to the middle of the card. Compare the position of the PCI-e pins to the position of the heatsink, and you'll see what I mean. Also, the pesky DVI box is still in the way. Wish I thought of this when I bought the card...

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Sun May 02, 2010 2:15 pm

dragonfire wrote:I can't find the post you referred to RE: zip-tying a fan to a 775 cooler. Would probably be very helpful if you could find a link...

The only difficulty I foresee is that a 120mm fan is so much larger than the heatsink...
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article976-page3.html

This is by far the best (and cheapest) solution to your problem. And there's no warranty voiding involved as the shroud can be disassembled right from the top :wink: