Please advise on a low-budget HTPC setup

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zorander

Please advise on a low-budget HTPC setup

Post by Zorander » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm looking to assemble a HTPC mainly for movies and casual gaming, around the Silverstone GD05B. I'd build it around a Core i5-750 with a separate video card but this system is more of an afterthought than a serious investment so I'm not willing to commit that much budget. I'm thinking of a 785G-based motherboard with a X2 555 or X4 630. I will use the on-board video first and add a dedicated video card when the need for gaming arises.

Do you think this is a reasonable idea? What would you go with considering the budget? Is this system going to be a scorcher, considering I'm going to put it inside an AV rack?

Also, is there a reasonably cheap CPU HSF that I can use that will also fit inside the GD05?

Thanks!

ilovejedd

Re: Please advise on a low-budget HTPC setup

Post by ilovejedd » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Zorander wrote:Also, is there a reasonably cheap CPU HSF that I can use that will also fit inside the GD05?
Define reasonably cheap? I'm using a Scythe Big Shuriken (~$30) and am very happy with the results on a Silverstone SG05B+Intel DH57JG+i3-530 build. It's also the cooler used in SPCR's GD05 review.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:58 pm

I think $30 is pretty reasonable though I have to check first if local pricing is as reasonable.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:05 am

I was not aware of the i3-530 and its good value & temperature when I posted this thread. Having read through its reviews (and related motherboards), I decided on and purchased these:

CPU: Intel Core i3-530
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3
RAM: 2x2GB Kingston KHX1600C8D3K2 (is this overkill?)
PSU: Corsair VX-450
Case: Silverstone GD05 Black

I'm re-using a spare 500GB 7200rpm Samsung HDD and DVD-RW optical drive (have a stand-alone Blu-ray player already). I'm going to try the stock CPU cooler for now. If I don't get bothered by any noise at my listening position, I will stick by it. I will also use the on-board graphic for now until I need more graphic power.

I also have a spare copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to install on this machine. I wonder though if it is better to buy a cheaper Home version for it and keep the Ultimate copy for a future build (many years later).

What do you think? Thanks!

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Yeah, the RAM's pretty overkill. You can get by with less expensive value memory. Personally using Kingston 2x2GB KVR1333D3N9K2 for my build. An upside to using standard memory is chances are high you'll find it in the supported memory list for that board.

As for the operating system, up to you. Home Premium's all you need for an HTPC. I'm actually sticking with 32-bit for now since I use some legacy devices (old Hauppauge USB tuner).

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat May 01, 2010 12:14 pm

As for HTPC: While you gain in CPU power with i3's and Intel, you will lose that in chipsets but any Intel chipset's still are more than sufficient for HTPC actions more than enough.

in AMD way you get anything you need for HTPC in chipset's that are better featured and has more properties than Intel's current chipset's in mATX forms have and lesser price.

Both are fine.

For OS: Are you planning to make another computer, primary computer for work or games? If you are, save Ultimate for that and get Win 7 Home premium. Home premium works well and not too many person need more than that. 32-bits are safe choice due legancy support and such. 64-bits are tad more safer though...

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Sat May 01, 2010 10:56 pm

thejamppa wrote:As for HTPC: While you gain in CPU power with i3's and Intel, you will lose that in chipsets but any Intel chipset's still are more than sufficient for HTPC actions more than enough.

in AMD way you get anything you need for HTPC in chipset's that are better featured and has more properties than Intel's current chipset's in mATX forms have and lesser price.
I understand that the AMD chipset (the 785-790 series) will support future CPUs whereas the 1156-platform is pretty much a dead-end. Not sure about connectivities as my requirements are pretty basic (USB peripherals and HDMI output). Is there something else I am missing?
thejamppa wrote: For OS: Are you planning to make another computer, primary computer for work or games? If you are, save Ultimate for that and get Win 7 Home premium. Home premium works well and not too many person need more than that. 32-bits are safe choice due legancy support and such. 64-bits are tad more safer though...
No foreseeable plan for any more PCs for the years to come (3-5 years?). I just feel it's a waste to put an Ultimate on a budget HTPC.

Thanks!

micah161

Post by micah161 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Do you have a "Killawatt" or some other means to measure the power usage of your new system? I would be interested to know what you get.
-micah

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Sun May 02, 2010 7:17 pm

micah161 wrote:Do you have a "Killawatt" or some other means to measure the power usage of your new system? I would be interested to know what you get.
-micah
Don't have one unfortunately. I imagine it would be even lower if I were using an SSD (have a regular HDD instead). Other than that, it's just the motherboard, RAM, i3 CPU and the fans consuming power.

Temperature-wise, I have not really tested it under load but I was getting an amazing idle temperature of 19C (ambient temperature was around 21-23C)! It would be even lower with a good after-market cooler. I don't believe any of the AMD offerings can achieve this low temperature.

Cheers!

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Mon May 03, 2010 4:38 am

Zorander wrote:Temperature-wise, I have not really tested it under load but I was getting an amazing idle temperature of 19C (ambient temperature was around 21-23C)! It would be even lower with a good after-market cooler. I don't believe any of the AMD offerings can achieve this low temperature.
Was that with the stock cooler? Then better calibrate your temperature reading software as I don't think it's possible to get readings lower than ambient.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Mon May 03, 2010 4:40 am

ilovejedd wrote:
Zorander wrote:Temperature-wise, I have not really tested it under load but I was getting an amazing idle temperature of 19C (ambient temperature was around 21-23C)! It would be even lower with a good after-market cooler. I don't believe any of the AMD offerings can achieve this low temperature.
Was that with the stock cooler? Then better calibrate your temperature reading software as I don't think it's possible to get readings lower than ambient.
Stock cooler with AS5 TIM and a fan blowing directly at it (I think this is the cause).

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Mon May 03, 2010 5:22 am

Zorander wrote:Stock cooler with AS5 TIM and a fan blowing directly at it (I think this is the cause).
Unlikely. Unless you're using some exotic cooling configuration (peltier, etc), I don't think you'll be getting temps lower than ambient.

Mrc112

Post by Mrc112 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 am

you do realize that you are spending a lot more money just to be failproof to do some future "casual gaming" ? :)

without the gaming component, you could go a lot cheaper (amd x2 240, a mobo with onboard graphics, 2 GB of mem in stead of 4)