Suspended HDDs, still have some case vibration

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Deucal

Suspended HDDs, still have some case vibration

Post by Deucal » Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm

I've suspended 4 HDDs in my CM stacker case with fabrick elastic band. The noise really has gone down but there still is some vibration when I touch the case around the HDDs, which feels less the more I move towards the other end of the case.

I tightened the elastic so that the HDDs wouldn't easily fall out when I flip the case on the side. Did I perhaps tighten them too much?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Suspended HDDs, still have some case vibration

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu May 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Deucal wrote: Did I perhaps tighten them too much?
Only way to know for sure is to experiment with loosening them up. It's non-destructive, so go for it.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Thu May 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Deucal wrote:Did I perhaps tighten them too much?
The further you tighten them up, the more you reach a rigid connection. Tighten them too fast, and you negate the positive property of elastic band.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu May 06, 2010 8:24 pm

spookmineer wrote:
Deucal wrote:Did I perhaps tighten them too much?
The further you tighten them up, the more you reach a rigid connection. Tighten them too fast, and you negate the positive property of elastic band.
Tighten them even further and you've made your own official SPCR heavy metal stringed instrument...The hardrive-a-phone.
What you want in tension is the 'Goldilocks Zone'. Not too soft it moves about during use, and not too hard it plays some Iron Butterfly rif.:lol:

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Thu May 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Deucal wrote:I tightened the elastic so that the HDDs wouldn't easily fall out when I flip the case on the side.
Use some thumbscrews to keep the hard drive/s from falling out. Like this:

Linky

bozar

Post by bozar » Fri May 07, 2010 3:50 am

An easy way to make sure you have the right tension is to strap the elastic to a HDD-screw with a cable tie and then do the same to the case, you can use no tension at all and still have a perfectly secure mounting. Did this myself with a couple of hairbands and a Seagate LP :D.