Fan adapter on CPU heatsink

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Just an ordinary rabbit

Fan adapter on CPU heatsink

Post by Just an ordinary rabbit » Mon May 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Hello people of SPCR!
This is my first post here, as part of my ongoing quest to silence my pc - or at least make it less annoying.

My question is this:
Is it advisable to use a fan adapter on a heatsink?

I have an AMD Athlon x2 7750 with the stock cooler and cool'n'quiet enabled. The 70mm fan is fairly quiet at its lowest speed, but as soon as the CPU is taxed the temperature increases rapidly, and the fanspeed and noise quickly follows suit.
I can appreciate how a better cooler would be the ideal solution, but I would prefer not to do this, partly to try and save some cash but mostly because I am dangerously good at breaking things much less fragile than processors...
Instead, I plan to use a fan adapter to mount a 120mm fan on the heatsink and would like to know if you think this is a good idea, and if so what fans would be most suitable for the job.

Just an ordinary rabbit

Post by Just an ordinary rabbit » Sun May 30, 2010 6:05 am

Bump.

Anyone think a silent 120mm can create enough pressure to funnel into a 70mm heatsink?

Would I be better off with a quiet 92mm fan and adapter?

What do you think?

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Sun May 30, 2010 7:49 am

A 120mm to 70mm adaptor will be very tall no? Regardless, they are generally a bit rubbish. I know you don't want to, but a bigger heatsink is really the best way to reduce noise. You can get some pretty cheap ones (ten-ish quid) that will let you run a much lower fanspeed than the stock cooler. And they really aren't hard to fit, maybe you could get a less ham-fisted friend to fit it for you?

If you are set on sticking with that cooler, you could try a 120mm fan bolted straight onto your heatsink (just one screw in one corner) with the surplus fan area blowing onto the VRMs etc. I would really use the adaptor as a last resort, only you will be able to tell how well it's going to work in your specific setup.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:36 pm

70 to 120mm funnel adapter works, if you can re-use the stock fan mounting screws. Gets in the way of the toggle clamp, so it must be mounted after the heatsink.

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:10 am

edit , wrong thread , oops