antec p18# series owners question

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

maxextz

antec p18# series owners question

Post by maxextz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 am

hi ive been thinking about removing the grill cover from the rear fan to reduce noise.
but before i do has anybody done it and does it reduce the noise enough to make it worth doing?

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:16 pm

I removed the rear grill and the top front grill.

In theory, removing the grill will improve the airflow 25-40%, because the airflow will have less obstruction.
For the same airflow, the fan(s) will be able to spin at a lower RPM and still achieve the same CFM, and the same cooling.

maxextz

Post by maxextz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:44 pm

but did you notice any difference in the noise?

edit:update...done it and there is a big difference in air flow but not so much if any difference in noise.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 am

maxextz wrote:but did you notice any difference in the noise?

edit:update...done it and there is a big difference in air flow but not so much if any difference in noise.
Airflow and noise is really the same. If you get higher airflow now, you can run your fans at slower speeds resulting in less noise.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:14 pm

I cut out the rear grill on my P182 case. I think it does make a small difference (subjective judgement), not as much turbulence noise as before.

axee

Post by axee » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:49 pm

It made a lot of difference with me. I was removing only rear fan grill and woosh sound was gone, I had Slipstream@720RPM then. Now, I do it with any PC which is meant to be as quiet as possible, mostly this type of mod eliminates sound of air moving trough PC.

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Cutting out the grill from the rear fan is easy and a low noise replacement grill is only $5.

Here are 2 more possibilities to get a big improvement in the loudness and character of the noise of the rear chassis fan:

1./ Put a 2.5 cm (1 inch) duct in between the fan and the chassis grill to give the turbulent air coming off of the the fan blades time to moderate before hitting that nasty cheap steel stamping grill. The easiest way to make this duct is to cut out the guts of a surplus 120mm fan.

2./ Use a fan like the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1,150rpm Silent Case Fan. This fan pushes the same amout of air as a 800 rpm fan and is the same loudness as a 800 rpm fan but the character of the noise is much improved.