How do I get the Sonata open?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

bob670

Post by bob670 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:13 pm

ummm, air flow for the PSU....

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:20 pm

I agree with Cavicchi. They go to all this trouble to block sound with a byzantine front bezel design most of us end up dremelling out.. then leave holes in each side?

I do like the Sonata, but it has its quirks. I think the horribly bad airflow and non-removable right panel are the biggest ones.

bob670

Post by bob670 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:23 pm

"but how come the 3700 doesn't have those holes? "

Good point, hadn't considered that.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:41 pm

Cavicchi wrote:All in all, I am not impressed, especially with those Antec holes drilled into the side. A quiet case with holes in both sides. :roll:
Cavicchi wrote:Speaking of the front panel, what a crummy front door.
Ya know, I don't mean to be insensitive, but since you seem so unhappy with your purchase.....in light of the abundance of available information on this case (ie):
SPCR review.
Search on Sonata

I can offer only two words--caveat emptor. :cry:

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:55 am

The box of screws are normally behind the 3.5inch drive cage. Removing one of the drive rails - just by sliding it - should let you get at the screws. You don't have to remove the front panel.

As for parts of the case breaking etc, are you sure you're not being heavy handed with it, or using force when you should instead be pressing at levers etc?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:32 am

The Sonata is probably the most-reviewed case over the last year and every review I can remember reading talked about those "Antec" holes so their existance should come as no suprise. Many of the reviews have also gone into a fair amount of detail about the reason those holes exist. You'd almost have to ignore any of the writing about the Sonata to be suprised about those holes.

That being said, I rarely miss an opportunity to criticize the Sonata for it's restrictive bezel/ventilation and those holes in the side, as well as the non-removable right side door and recommend that people go with the cheaper and more effective SLK3700AMB/6A19 instead.

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:27 am

That USB front panel cover has really been a show stopper for me when looking at the Sonata in the store. It is made of chromed plastic and is very flimsy and the one I tried it works very stiff. I think it would be easy to break and not easy to use if it doesn't. I am very disappointed by the lack of quality in this part, which is likely to be opened and closed a lot. It looks tacky on a case with such a refined finish.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:08 am

canthearyou wrote:That USB front panel cover has really been a show stopper for me when looking at the Sonata in the store. It is made of chromed plastic and is very flimsy and the one I tried it works very stiff. I think it would be easy to break and not easy to use if it doesn't. I am very disappointed by the lack of quality in this part, which is likely to be opened and closed a lot. It looks tacky on a case with such a refined finish.
To add insult to injury, that cheesy looking chrome cover loses it's chrome plating after a while too. First it starts oxidizing then it starts chipping off, depending on what type of use it gets.

I'd strip it off and paint it with vinyl dye if I owned a Sonata.

jeffster8

Post by jeffster8 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:38 am

hehe... my complaint is the LED. Man, that sucker could light up the sky. Nice for LAN parties... but I don't need a nightlight in my room while I sleep.

I was thinking about blocking the holes as well. But I don't think I'll do that anymore.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:59 am

I put the LED's on my Rheobus, then dimmed it down to 3-4V. Just a little light now :)

FUll blast, those things are blinding. Plus, my office is off my bedroom, and I would get this scary glow from there at night when I leave my PC on.

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:22 am

Gread idea, Miker. I get a scary glow from my Rheobus so I have to make sure to close the doors on my Sonatas before I leave the office. :D

That's not always possible when I leave a CD burning.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:24 am

If you use Nero, I think you can set the CD-R not to eject when finished.

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:33 am

Hey Cavicchi,

A couple of days ago you were dumping on people who critiqued the Sonata for some of it's flaws. That was before you had even seen one or had any knowledge of the Sonata. Now you are dumping on the Sonata and how it was reviewed.

The review on SPCR was accurate and insightful.

The Sonata can be made to run pretty much completely silent. There are several reports of Sonata success, pictures, and ideas. Read the forums, make your case quiet, and move on. 8)

By the way, the hardware box comes out if you remove the drive trays. :lol:

-- Tom
(happy Sonata owner)

bob670

Post by bob670 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:00 pm

I disconnected the blue lights, too bright and not really a necessity for me. For that matter, I killed off all the front panel connectors, didn't really have a need for them. So far I am nothing but thrilled with my Sonata, no case is perfect, but the Sonata is a nice balance of features and looks, and it can be silenced.

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:10 pm

Yes, that is a problem with the silver and chrome plastic finishes popular today. I like the look but the matte silver will eventually wear off as it is on my digital camera. The chrome plastic is vulnerable to oils and contaminints on the fingers (if you have ever made plastic models you will know what I am talking about). I thought it was metal.

I like the Lian Li with a nice metal door for the USB ports.

The Sonta has a wonderful finish. Of course it's not like a varnished piano, but the look is close, probably better described as a good auto finish. The case design is harmonious also, although I do not prefer the Antec holes. I had not thought of the front panel LEDs being too bright. My new LCD monitor power supply has an LED that is so bright it was like a searchlight across the room trying to sleep. I had to turn it against the wall. The Sonta is a great idea and groundbreaking product that was a long time coming from case manufacturers.

I think I would like the 90* drive bay.

On the other hand, I would like an aluminum case because of the lightweight and would be willing to give up a little silence to have that. Also, I like a small case.

Steve