Scythe Setsugen photos and measurements

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Scythe Setsugen photos and measurements

Post by psyopper » Sat May 01, 2010 1:21 pm

The Scythe Setsugen is turning out to be quite the remarkable cooler for me.

Below are two photos of the Scythe Setsugen mounted on my Asus 5770 and laid out on a seamstress cutting mat for measurement purposes. It appears as though there is roughly 2.5" from the center of the GPU to the rear/ IO side of the cooler.

The angles/perspectives of the shots don't quite line up with how it measures out.

I selected the Asus CuCore card for it's no reference design to allow room for larger air coolers. I don't have a reference 5770 on hand to take measurements from but it seems to me that if you have more than 2.5" from the center of the GPU to the furthest rearward extreme of your card, you should be good for mounting it.

The back plate for this cooler is a joke - it has a single rubber standoff in the center that really negates the use of it as a structural backplate. Because it stood so far off the back of the card I know for certian you wouldn't be able to use two of these in an "every other" PCIe XFire config. I had to do a jury rigged mounting of the cooler using some of the components of the Asus cooler because there wasn't enough clearance between my CPU cooler and the first PCIe slot.

As mentioned elsewhere, the fan on this cooler comes mounted pointing the wrong direction. I was able to flip it over and it workd fine like this for a few days until the fan started contacting the cooler. I shimmed the corners of the fan up about 2mm to take up the necessary space.

Idle temps are 34C with the fan at 20% and load (Furmark, 5 minutes) at 57C with the fan at 50%[/img]

javitxi

Post by javitxi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:08 am

psyopper, have you connected the Slipstream fan to the connector of the fan of the 5770? I ask you because I've read that if no fan is connected to the connector of the video card, the 5770 will not work and shows on the back a red led.

Have you got any issues about?

Many thanks :)

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:27 pm

I connected the Scythe fan with the stock fan header so that the card is running the fan. Unfortunately I can not confirm if the card quits with no fan. A few people have put aftermarket coolers/fans on these cards and I have never heard of this happening.

javitxi

Post by javitxi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:42 am

Thank you for your reply. I have had a little trial by disconnecting the connector of the fan and putting next to the graphic card a fan to blow air inside de heatsink of the card. No issue about, post ok, games ok (despite this strange cooling jeje).

kater

Post by kater » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:36 pm

I've recently switched coolers with my pal - I gave him my S1 and he gave me Setsugen (him having compatibility zonks). And I have to say - S1 FTW. S1 cools my 4770 with no fan on it, only with the case's front 100mm @ 700. Now, Setsugen, with its 120 mm 10 mm thick fan manages to keep the card, say, 3-5 degrees cooler. Direct airflow, mind you. Fan blowing, not sucking. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice, compact cooler that performs. Especially on low power cards. But it has its butt handed by S1. Plus, S1 is way cheaper (at least where I live).

Bullitt787

Post by Bullitt787 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 am

psyopper wrote:I connected the Scythe fan with the stock fan header so that the card is running the fan. Unfortunately I can not confirm if the card quits with no fan. A few people have put aftermarket coolers/fans on these cards and I have never heard of this happening.
Psyopper- I intend to put the same cooler on the same card. 

I note that you said you connected the Scythe fan to the stock fan header; did that require cutting off the Scythe fan cable and replacing it with the end of the cable from the stock cooler?  Or is the header on the Asus board the 3 pin type?

Did you remove the fan speed controller that comes with the Scythe or just set it to max to allow the card to control the speed.

Inquiring minds…

B

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:03 pm

er... this cooler isnt supposed to fit a stock 5770...

It does without modification??? looks like it is VERY far way from the pci bracket and dvi-out connectors.

is scythe smoking some crack saying it is not compatible or something custom or non-stock about your set up??

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:47 am

The card is an Asus CuCore, it's definitely not a reference card.

Scythe is referring to reference 5770's that it won't fit on.