[ASUS Eee PC 1000HE Netbook] fan noise.

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Copyright

[ASUS Eee PC 1000HE Netbook] fan noise.

Post by Copyright » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:03 am

This seems to be a common issue with these. Its fan noise for sure. I have loaded up eeectl with a custom fan profile that makes it much quieter but the fan is awful on this thing. Some out there are taking them apart and lubing the bearings but I hate to chance it. I cant seem to locate a replacement fan online. If anyone else has ran into this please let me know.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:36 am

I have a 1000ha and the fan is off probably 70% of the time with eeectl and 25% for 20% of the time and it is pretty quiet.

the biggest problem i have is that when the fan if off, and sometimes low, it seems to make a high pitched sound...

it is usually pretty hard to hear, but once i notice it, its hard to ignore. I am not certain it is actually coming from the fan, could be the hard drive or maybe some other coil whine from somewhere.

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:32 am

My 1000HE is disappointingly loud when the fan is working hard, which it does when the CPU hits a certain temperature (I think it's 40C from memory). I know you can modify the fan profile, but I assume that it spins up at that temperature for a good reason. This seems to be unavoidable when you use it for any length of time.

It's a shame, because the S101 which I had previously used at work didn't have this issue. I wonder whether removing the hard disk drive might allow the CPU to stay cooler.

Suggestions anyone?

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:47 am

Yeah, swapping the HD for a SSD would help some, but the HDs in netbooks tend to sip power anyway. I don't have the netbook anymore, but I remember I just changed the fan profiles and the only time it really spun up a whole lot was when I would use it to hop on WoW to mess with the AH or run something really intensive for a long time (encoding a video, etc.)

I think the default fan profiles, as usual, are too conservative.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:58 am

I use eeectl to set fan speed and temperature thresholds.

http://cpp.in/dev/eeectl/

gregzeng

Re: [ASUS Eee PC 1000HE Netbook] fan noise.

Post by gregzeng » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:21 am

Copyright wrote:This seems to be a common issue with these. Its fan noise for sure. I have loaded up eeectl with a custom fan profile that makes it much quieter but the fan is awful on this thing. Some out there are taking them apart and lubing the bearings but I hate to chance it. I cant seem to locate a replacement fan online. If anyone else has ran into this please let me know.
I've answered this in another thread:

viewtopic.php?p=517374#517374

Your fan will spin less if you follow my above message.

Every year for the last two decades, I've bought a new notebook/ netbook. Worn out fans & bad power supplies can also make the fan noisy. Check eBay for your brand model of computer. If there are batches of spare parts sold, you know that your computer will soon break down in that specific area.

Some small computers e.g. HP, ARE DESIGNED to break down, just ouutside the warranty period (second one is about to self-destruct, after the ouut-of warranty "repair"). You might have the same USA TECHNOLOGY as I did.

Now I just buy Japanese: cars, cameras, computers, mobile phones, etc.

Greg Zeng, Australian Capital Territory