Will 5750 or 5770 passive cards fit antec 2480 fusion case ?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IMOM

Will 5750 or 5770 passive cards fit antec 2480 fusion case ?

Post by IMOM » Mon May 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi,
I have the antec NSK 2480 case and like to get the 5750 or 5770 passive video cards...but worried that the card will be too high to fit. Does anyone have clearance issues with the heatsink hitting the top cover? I am concerned about buying something that doesn't fit. I like to buy the new gigabyte

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125328

or

powercooler green 5750 card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131346

Not sure if they fit...please if you have one in an antec case...please comment.

Thanks!

UPDATED: GIGABYTE GV-R575SL-1GI fits the case with very minor mod to the top cover. Read below
Last edited by IMOM on Sat May 22, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Mon May 17, 2010 6:50 pm

I have the PowerColor Go Green 5750 card. the heat sink is at an odd angle relative to the card, but it's roughly 1 1/4" taller than the PCB at its highest point. I don't have that case to compare it to though... Just looking at the pictures, I'm guessing it would be an extremely close call. There is a plastic decoration on the top of the cooler that you could probably remove, which would give a tiny bit more space.

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Mon May 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi Fwiffo,
Yes that's the problem...it's too close to tell. It would help alot if I can get someone who has the antec case like the fusion / 2400 / 2480 and one of these new passive cards to see if it fits. I'm leaning more towards the gigabyte card... but there aren't any reviews of it yet.

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Mon May 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Looking at the Gigabyte card, I can say for sure it sticks up a lot less. The one thing I could say in the PowerColor's favor is that it doesn't require a secondary power connector and is lower power, but that's obviously a minor point.

If it helps, I did happen to take a couple cell-camera pictures of my card sitting on some graph paper when I was building my system the other day.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Mon May 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Maybe it's the angle on the graph paper, but I think your heatsink is crooked!?!

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Mon May 17, 2010 10:20 pm

The heat sink is very much at an angle relative to the PCB, but it seems to be that way on purpose. I thought it was strange, but it seemed like that's how its base was made. Though now that I look at the other pictures on newegg - those seem straight...

It seems to be working quite well; it seems to stay cool even under load. I'm hesitant to try to "fix" it.

potsy

Post by potsy » Mon May 17, 2010 10:39 pm

fwiffo, thanks for posting the pics, I'm thinking about the same issue and that looks helpful. Your graph paper is imperial right? Which would make the whole thing about 6 inches at it's highest point. In my Fusion 120mm is about the limit, or just under 5 inches. A whole extra inch just isn't going to go I think.
Potsy

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Tue May 18, 2010 1:08 am

Thanks for the photos fwiffo...quite odd yours is angled and newegg's photo is straight.

Hopefully someone will chime in :)

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Tue May 18, 2010 4:39 am

Yeah, it's engineering paper, which is 5 squares to the inch. And assuming my card is a misfit and the heat-sink is supposed to be straight, it'd only be about half an inch (maybe a tad more) taller than the PCB; about 3/4" above the top of the backplate. If I were to rotate it straight, it would mostly be the tall end moving downward; as you can see, the lower-left corner of the cooler is just about touching the DVI connectors.

None of the PDFs on Antec's site seem to have one of those engineering diagrams with dimensions, so maybe somebody with the case can chime in on how much clearance there is between the top of the expansion card backplates and the top of the case. Or maybe Antec support can help?

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Wed May 19, 2010 10:18 am

Hi, I bought the gigabyte card last night... it's going to be a tight fit. I may need to mod it later if the top cover doesn't fit...I have to evaluate the card first. I will post my results.

mattlach

Post by mattlach » Thu May 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Hey, I just posted this in another thread, but it may be more appropriate here.

I am not familliar with your Antec case, but I fit the Powercolor 5750 fanless board in my compacth Shuttle case. If the dimensions are similar it should fit in yours as well.

Here is my review:

I did wind up getting the fanless Radeon 5750 and figured I'd report back with my findings here.

The card just barely fits in my compact Shuttle SX58H7 case. I had to take out all the drive bays (two simple screws) in order to install it, but one installed they fit right back in again without a millimeter to spare on top of the board.

Airflow was a concern of mine before installing it, but I have done some heavy stress testing (and by now played through almost the entire Half Life 2 series with high AA and AF on, last time I install an addictive game like that to "test my hardware" :p ) At an ambient temperature of 20 - 25C (68-77F) the card idles and does 2D work at about 40C, and under load, the hottest I have been able to get it is 76C, which is well below the maximum recommended operating parameter of 90C (they must use fancy solder)

Performance was a positive surprise. I am running this card in a system with an Intel Core i7-920 and 6GB ram on 64bit Ubuntu and 64bit Windows 7. In Half Life 2 with all settings on their highest, but with no AA, the frame rate kept bouncing off of the engine maximum of 300 FPS at my monitors natural resolution of 1920x1200. With everything set to max (including the AA) the game was reliably above 60fps. HL2 Episode 1, required me to drop the AA a little bit to remain above 60fps at all times, and with episode 2, I had to drop it a little bit more. Still very decent performance, especially since all I had planned on using it for were low end games like Civilization IV. I sure hadn't planned on getting back into FPS games. I hadn't played once since early 2004...

3DMark Vantage scores were as follows:
P8959 3DMarks
CPU Score 16693
Graphics Score 7760

3DMark 2006 as follows:
3DMark Score 14533 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 5611
SM 3.0 Score 6521
CPU Score 4704

So, certainly not high end by modern standards, but a lot better than I had anticipated, and perfectly quiet.

I only have two negatives to mention about this board:

1.) When the card gets hot, it does raise the case temps a bit, which causes the case/cpu fan to rev up a little bit causing a bit more noise. This is - however - only temporary during high load games, and is usually not a big deal at all, as the sound from the game (speakers or headphones) usually completely drowns out the fan noise anyway (I don't even have my volume up loud)

2.) AMD/ATI really need to improve their Linux drivers. I can't get the Open Source X drivers to work at all (though I am still trying). Instead I am using ATI's closed source Catalyst 10.4 drivers for Linux, and they are very unstable, causing all sorts of bugs on a regular basis. I am rather disappointed in this, but I have not given up hope in getting the open source drivers to work (as others with 5xxx series boards have succeeded). I just need to kick my half life 2 addiction so I can spend some time working on it. Hopefully when I finish episode 2 (pretty soon) this will be easier. :p

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Fri May 21, 2010 2:52 pm

What problems are you experiencing with the AMD Catalyst drivers in Linux. I'm using the latest (10.4 I think) drivers from Ubuntu's 10.04 repos with no issues at all...

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Sat May 22, 2010 12:16 am

I bought the GIGABYTE GV-R575SL-1GI and it does fit the NSK 2480 case, but the top cover has air vents that are dented inward... on three spots you will have to bend them to be flush with the top cover and it will fit.

I hope that helps anyone else that has the this case. I doubt the power cooler passive card will fit.

I will add a 80mm fan and turn it on for gaming... without the fan... it idles at 50c and 66c at load. I'm sure with the fan it will reduce it by quite a bit.

The Gigabyte heatsink is very nice... I decided to go with the GIGABYTE GV-R575SL-1GI because I can go passive or add a fan.

I would post pictures, but I don't have these picture accounts... so if you like, send me an email and I will send you pictures so you can post them. Maybe if fwiffo is kind enough to do it... I'll send pictures to him.

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Sat May 22, 2010 9:28 am

I think that you're right the powercolor wouldn't fit, even if you got one with a straight heat-sink. :-) I'll be happy to post to pictures for you though, I'll send you a PM.

Oh, the Powercolor is running about 5 degrees cooler than that for me. Can't say if it's a more open case, cooler ambient, or the lower power consumption that does it.

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Sun May 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks fwiffo. I sent you a few photos.

The backside of the video card has memory heatsinks, I added them, they do not come with the card.

The NSK2480 has a custom made wood front panel and then stained. I moved the front USB o the side, not pictured.

Sorry for the low quality photos... it's taken from my camera phone and in low light.

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 am

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:37 am

interesting, at TPU: http://www.techpowerup.com/124110/Gigab ... _Card.html
they said the 5750 silent won't need an external power connector, but on IMOM's rig there clearly is one :shock:

potsy

Post by potsy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Hey IMOM and fwiffo,
Thanks for posting the info and pics. I've just ordered my gigabyte!
Potsy

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:21 pm

I just installed my 5750 Silent Cell video card in my Antec NSK2400.

The grill modification is not needed if the Gigabyte 5750 card is in the very first PCI card slot position, closest to the CPU. However, I might consider cutting off all of the inner parts of the grill (where IMOM bent) in order to increase the airflow in that area.

potsy

Post by potsy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:38 pm

I can confirm that too... no mod needed for my Fusion case, card installed in the first slot.
Potsy

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:31 pm

After further investication, it appears everything fits... BUT...

The top casepanel is actually making contact with the video card, and flexing slightly. It might be fine, but it bothers me - so I'm going to cut a rectangle out on the panel and maybe put a grill there or something.

EDIT: I have completed the rectangle cutout. Now I can clearly see that not only do the heatpipes rise above the case panel, but the entire black part of the heatsink would make contact with the case panel if the heatpipes weren't there. :shock:

josa100

Powercolor 5750 Go green doesnt fit Silverstone GD05B

Post by josa100 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:36 am

I bought the powercolor 5750 Go green and tried to fit it in a Silverstone GD05B and it doesnt fit. It sticks up 13-17mm too much.

The heater was "bent" as in the post above on my card as well (supposed to be like this I guess).

The heatpipes are so rigid that they cannot easily be bent either (I managedtp bend the heatpipes on a thermaltake CPU cooler.)