Two WD 1.5 TB Greens with Different Covers...

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Should I keep the New or Old drive?

New
100%
Old
No votes

Total votes: 1

fsscott

Two WD 1.5 TB Greens with Different Covers...

Post by fsscott » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Just wondering as to whether or not I should get it exchanged for one or the other, cause I'm kind of picky about having the same thing.

The drives are only a few months apart (20 Feb 2010 / 24 Dec 2009), yet the newer one has the top of the Blacks and the older one doesn't.

I'm curious as to whether the older ones are quieter, because on the WD site it says the top covers are specially made for reduced noise...

Thanks SPCR
Last edited by fsscott on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fsscott

Post by fsscott » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:38 pm

(insert realization for the edit button)

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:33 pm

What do the undersides look like? I faced a similar scenario with the old 500GB's. Second last post on the first page here: viewtopic.php?t=38408

fsscott

Post by fsscott » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:45 pm

(newer left, old right) ~same for the above picture

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:33 pm

If your #1 priority is having two of the same, you get another one of the type that is available.

Personally I like going with the established, so if the old model is what got positive reviews and has been tried and tested, then the old model I would keep. Every time I've gone with 'NEW AND IMPROVED', I've landed hard on my ass and ended up having trouble, though this applies more to fancy RAM and video cards and the like. HDDs have been a safe bet either way - at least so far.

I think my EARS is the old one and it's been brilliant in both speed and silence.

fsscott

Post by fsscott » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks for your input, I think I'll go with the older one because of what I've read.

But it's still confusing me as to what cases they use, because in an older 3DGameman video, it was using the newer case, yet in an NCIX video it's been the older one...

hmm...

SleepyBum

Post by SleepyBum » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:33 pm

fsscott wrote:But it's still confusing me as to what cases they use, because in an older 3DGameman video, it was using the newer case, yet in an NCIX video it's been the older one...

hmm...
The older dated HD is actually the newer design.

667GB per platter: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EARS-00MVWB0

The one on the left was actually for use on 4-platter models. It had the StableTrac thingy and that's what the black area is. Also on the back, you notice that the one on the right has a deeper indentation.

There was an article with pictures comparing the different case WD used for their HD, 1,2,3-platters vs 4-platters, but can't find it right now.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:08 pm

And FYI, there is minimal to zero noise difference, both are very quiet.