Corsair PSUs squealing noise?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

shunx

Corsair PSUs squealing noise?

Post by shunx » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Has anyone heard something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6393.0

Because of this I'm hesitant to go with Corsair.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:29 pm

AFAIK it's a relatively common issue regardless of the PSU brands: the pursuit of the best combination of videocard and PSU will be a tricky task when dealing with high performance parts.

Regards,
Luca

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Post by PartEleven » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:55 am

That sounds like a bad sample rather than an endemic problem with their PSUs. I have that exact model PSU in the youtube video and I don't have this problem.

Joe Public

Post by Joe Public » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:37 am

I've used my HX620 with a lot of different hardware, and its never made any kind of anomalous sound. I had a TX650 for a while, and it never did it either. That PSU is now being used by a work colleague of mine and it doesn't exhibit any strange sounds in his rig either. My current HX750 is 6 months old, and doesn't make any squealing sounds either, under any kind of load. So I dunno what to tell ya.

shunx

Post by shunx » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:56 am

quest_for_silence wrote:AFAIK it's a relatively common issue regardless of the PSU brands: the pursuit of the best combination of videocard and PSU will be a tricky task when dealing with high performance parts.
Reading various user reviews indicates this to be true. One suggestion is to take a chance and keep RMA'ing or exchanging until you get a non-noisy combination. I ended up with a Corsair TX850.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Corsair PSUs squealing noise?

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:25 am

shunx wrote:Has anyone heard something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6393.0

Because of this I'm hesitant to go with Corsair.
I have an HX520W I've used with an EVGA GF 8800 GTS 512 and an Asus Radeon HD 5770 1GB CuCore. The unit has been with me for three years now. With neither card did the PSU ever squeal or make any other suspicious noises - no amount of idle, burn tests or gaming would produce an odd sound.

The 8800 GTS 512 too was a quiet one, not even the cooler was noisy. The 5770, however, would squeal like a stuck pig when I put on FurMark 1.8.2.

I currently own a Nexus NX-5000 R3 and a Gainward GF GTX 460 1GB GS GLH (OH GOD THE ABBREVIATIONS MAKE THEM STOP) and have tested the pair with FurMark 1.8.2 and heavy gaming (Bad Company 2). The Gainward card makes a little "bzzzz" sound every now and then (like electrical farts!) in FurMark but is quiet while gaming. The PSU never makes an odd sound.

So there you have it - sample variance. No need to steer clear of Corsair, just goes to show no one is 100% perfect in every way in every scenario in the world ever. Personally I like the Nexus model better because the cables are wrapped up nicer, but that's just vanity. 8)

lobuni

Post by lobuni » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:29 pm

My 620HX also makes this noise when running the Ati tray tools benchmark. Before with a x800 it didn't make this noise (or maybe it did when i zoomed out in Civilization IV). I upgraded to a hd4850 and wham I started hearing that noise. At first I thought it was the card of course, but after switching and testing the real culprit was determined...

Sometimes I can hear the noise at boot up in bios screen, sometimes when loading pages with Firefox. Down-clocking the card helped to reduce the noise.