Lan-Gear BETA mITX build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Lan-Gear BETA mITX build

Post by ryboto » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:33 pm

I've got lots of pictures. I'll post the specs, then the pics, and a link to the thread over at Harforum for the case. I made a lot of posts there, not sure I want to go through the headache of quoting it all or finding links to individual posts... anyway, specs!:

-Intel i5-750 @ 3.2ghz(160bclk) 1.15v w/turbo enabled
-DFI MI P55-T36 + Zalman NB heatsink
-Ati Radeon HD 5850 w/T-Rad2 GTX + modded VRM heatsink w/2x120mm 12mm thick Scythe Slip Streams
-WD 6400AAKS
-Muskin DDR3 1600mhz 7-8-7, 1.35v
-T-Balancer BigNG(controls everything but the 140mm fan)
-Slim DVD-RW drive
-Thermalright AXP-140 + Scythe 140mm 1200rpm
-2xEnermax 80mm Twister fans
-2x120mm Scythe Slipstream 12mm thick exhaust fans
-120mm Gentle Typhoon top fan
-Silverstone ST45SF sff PSU

Pictures are shown from newest to oldest.

Lan-Gear thread @ Hardforum

oh, and thanks to Lan-Gear!

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:48 am

hopefully they'll release the retail version soon and I can make an update!

DG

Re: Lan-Gear BETA mITX build

Post by DG » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:25 pm

I've wrote a longer post yesterday but it got deleted somehow (when they made changes to the forum).

It's a nice case, best combination of small size and efficient cooling for a gaming pc. Not so silent with all that fans and airholes, but this can't be avoided without increasing the size of the case. I plan to buy one, but Lan Gear is a small company so i have my doubts that this will hit market very soon. Too bad, as i don't like the internal design of any current miniITX gaming case on the market today.

What are the temperatures of the hdd?

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Here, have some circuit board to go with your fans. :P

haha..no in all honesty I like this build a lot. And it does have the potential to be somewhat quiet because those fans can be turned down so low and still move a decent amount of air. I'm a fan. (ok i swear that was my last fan joke)

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:46 am

RoGuE wrote:Here, have some circuit board to go with your fans. :P

haha..no in all honesty I like this build a lot. And it does have the potential to be somewhat quiet because those fans can be turned down so low and still move a decent amount of air. I'm a fan. (ok i swear that was my last fan joke)
It is a lot of fans. I don't like taping up, or not using fan mounts to prevent unwanted airflow patterns, so I installed as many as I could. The only ones I can't control are the top fan and the PSU fan. The top is a Gentle Typhoon at 1200rpm, and it's supposed to be controlled by the motherboard, but no matter what I try, this board wont adjust it's speed. Otherwise, the other fans are all calibrated and controlled with the T-Balancer, which is working awesome. I just wish the software was a little more user friendly.
What are the temperatures of the hdd?
I don't know exactly...I know when I first tested the system, when most of the fans weren't installed, and the temperature after around 15 minutes of up-time was about 37C. I'm sure it gets hotter, but I haven't monitored it.

Modo

Post by Modo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:28 am

ryboto wrote:The top is a Gentle Typhoon at 1200rpm, and it's supposed to be controlled by the motherboard, but no matter what I try, this board wont adjust it's speed.
This probably means that the motherboard sets some minimum speed at boot, and never has to ramp it up according to its sensors. So it looks stuck, but is actually at some slower setting at all times.

By the way, did you try going the other way with fan speeds? Maybe this thing can fly. ;)

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Modo wrote:
ryboto wrote:The top is a Gentle Typhoon at 1200rpm, and it's supposed to be controlled by the motherboard, but no matter what I try, this board wont adjust it's speed.
This probably means that the motherboard sets some minimum speed at boot, and never has to ramp it up according to its sensors. So it looks stuck, but is actually at some slower setting at all times.

By the way, did you try going the other way with fan speeds? Maybe this thing can fly. ;)
Initially, when the T-Balancer didn't work correctly all fans were at full speed. It didn't quite lift off, but it sounded like it was trying to. As for the motherboard fan speed, I've tried all of the settings, be it through DFI software or the BIOS, and nothing seems to slow the thing down. I just checked, and I actually have a 1400rpm Gentle Typhoon.

Per128

Post by Per128 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:28 am

This case looks amazing. Could you please share some full load temp readings and some info on noise characteristics with your setup?