I might have a line on SATA Spinpoints in the US

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

I might have a line on SATA Spinpoints in the US

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:50 pm

I'm in contact with a guy here in Smokey SoCal that claims to have the first pallet-load (in the USA) of SP1614C's, the SATA 160GB, 8MB cache Samsung Spinpoints.

That's all I know at this point.

Would anyone be interested, pending further information?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:55 pm

damn ralf is some kind of computer lord or something. First the oem panaflos now he has hardrives that no one else can find. Who are you really ralf

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:10 pm

Well, now that you mention it, I think "Computer Lord" has kind of a nice ring to it. :) I think I'll ask MikeC for a custom title.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:15 pm

i dont have a title at all :( maybe MASTER OF OFFTOPIC!

bob670

Post by bob670 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:13 pm

He's Kaiser Sosa's geeky brother?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:08 am

Is anyone interested? If so, I'll post this guy's contact info.

He does have them available for $125. They're in the regular Samsung "Seashield" clamshell as OEMs with the standard 3 year warranty, according to him.

grnarrow
Friend of SPCR

Post by grnarrow » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:04 am

If I hadn't ordered one thursday morning before your original post, I would have been interested. I ordered one from harddrive.com. It cost $138 + $10 shipping. As of friday evening, the order status was 'shipping completed', so hopefully it will arrive monday or tuesday.

wsc

Post by wsc » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:59 am

Ralf - do you know how close they are in terms of acoustics to the PATA Spinpoints? I would *hope* they are identical, but you never know.

crypt0r

any difference SATA vs PATA?

Post by crypt0r » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:07 pm

Are there any real world differences between SATA vs PATA besides the cable for better airflow and difference in price?

grandpa_boris

Re: any difference SATA vs PATA?

Post by grandpa_boris » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:00 pm

crypt0r wrote:Are there any real world differences between SATA vs PATA besides the cable for better airflow and difference in price?
today? today you get nothing except potentially faster data transfer and longer connectors. one of the main goals of SATA is to be a stepping stone from parallel ATA to a new transport and protocol. so today SATA will work with existing (legacy) ATA driver in any OS without any compatibility problems.

going forward, SATA-specific drivers will be able to take advantage of the new features of SATA. some of the most notable features are the tag queueing, enclosure services and standard device management, similar to the current SCSI spec. this will make SATA performance and functionality comparable to SCSI-III, especially where multiple I/O streams and multi-disk RAID systems are involved.

from the SATA spec document (see www. serialata.org), here are the attributes of SATA-I:
Serial ATA is defined with the following goals and requirements listed in no particular order:
• Primary inside-the-box storage connection (no outside the box)
• Completely SW transparent w/ ATA (easy transition)
• Low pin count for both host and devices (2 pairs)
• Favorable (low) voltages
• Supports lower cost device architectures
• Higher performance than equivalent ATA (data rate, queuing, overlap) w/ scalability to
higher
• Much better cabling/connectors (thin, flexible)
• Includes efficient power delivery
• No software dependency. Relatively easy transition (price, IHV NRE and capital inventory
risk, wide variety of devices at intro, etc.)
• Power management and power consumption suitable for mobile use
• Allows roadmap spanning ~10 years
• Cable length comparable to ATA (<1 m)
• Transfer rate exceeding best ATA (~150 MB/s) with scalability to higher rates
• Light protocol allowing overhead latencies to be minimized
• Asynchronous only (no isochronous requirements)
• No Peer-peer transfer support (to/from host only)
• Provides support for 1st party DMA access to host
• Cost competitive with equivalent parallel ATA solution at introduction (host + device +
cable)
• Storage device centric (no cameras/scanners/printers)
• Easy installation/configuration (plug/play, no jumpers, no external terminators)
• Single host (no multi-initiators or host/host networking)

to this, SATA-II adds:

• Compatibility must be maintained with Serial ATA 1.0
• New features/capabilities must be separable/optional proper supersets of Serial ATA 1.0
• Support for command queuing must be provided
• Means for supporting industry-standard enclosure services must be provided
• Device management expected of storage subsystems needs to be supported

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:23 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Is anyone interested? If so, I'll post this guy's contact info.

He does have them available for $125. They're in the regular Samsung "Seashield" clamshell as OEMs with the standard 3 year warranty, according to him.
Hey Ralf, er, excuse me, Your Lordship. I will be in the market for a pair of these, but not right yet. Maybe a month or six weeks.

My desktop machine now has three Samsung drives, two 1 year old 120GB 5400 RPM drives and a new 160GB 7200 RPM drive I just installed a couple of days ago. All three are suspended. I am VERY pleased with how quiet they are.

David

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:47 am

wsc wrote:Ralf - do you know how close they are in terms of acoustics to the PATA Spinpoints? I would *hope* they are identical, but you never know.
I have no idea, I haven't heard the SATA versions becasue up until a day or so ago they were not available in the US.

I would expect they would sound identical to the PATA version because there's no mechanical difference between the 2 types of drives.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:48 am

haysdb wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:Is anyone interested? If so, I'll post this guy's contact info.

Hey Ralf, er, excuse me, Your Lordship. I will be in the market for a pair of these, but not right yet. Maybe a month or six weeks.
By then they should be available in more places. Newegg is carrying the PATA versions, hopefully they'll carry the SATA too.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:06 am

Yah it's just matter of days or maybe week(s) before the SATA's are available. They sent samples to Computer Shopper (UK) for review and it's faster than the PATA version. It stated it was available at http://www.savastore.com but when I checked it was not there yet.

Should be soon though.

This HD is really making marks on performance, as it came overall fastest for data tranfers, but access time is about average in the lab review.
Last edited by ez2remember on Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:57 pm

I was just reading this topic and noticed that someone mentioned Samsung's new drive and Savastore.

I have found this link that will take you to the 160Gb ATA133 model, hope that helps someone :)

http://www.savastore.com/include2/info7 ... 002&pid=44

DonP

Post by DonP » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:12 pm

luminous wrote:I have found this link that will take you to the 160Gb ATA133 model, hope that helps someone :)

http://www.savastore.com/include2/info7 ... 002&pid=44
This is going off topic.. but who cares about the SP1604N? or about savastore?
the SP1604N only has a 2MB cache.. and savastore want over ten pounds more than Komplett.
Komplett also have the 8MB variant, the SP1614N for only a few quid more.. which is still nine quid less than the 2MB cache at savastore. Go for the SP1614N if you want PATA.

PS Hope this post doesn't sound too negative :) There are just better places to buy than savastore.. and why not go for a 8MB cache HDD for only a few pounds more.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:55 am

Your post was not too negative at all.

Some of us were having problems in locating an outlet for these drives, the best one that I was able to find was Savastore.

Thanks for letting me know about Komplett, they have now been added to my favourites.

Btw - do you have any comments on Komplett's customer service? I have shopped at a few places now and have encountered problems with some site's service (most notably www.scan.co.uk - they supplied me with 30 CDRW's, of which only 8 worked, they refused to change any of them)

DonP

Post by DonP » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:15 pm

I've only ever used them (Komplett) once and they were fine.. I've had friends use them and they've never had any complaints. I e-mailed them once about the availablility of some RAMBUS memory and they answered within 24 hours.

Only thing to note is that I think the items are despatched from Norway or something so I think it takes about ten days to arrive (could be wrong about this - my order was some time ago).

Their prices on many things are pretty good I thought and their range of bits ain't bad either.

Seal

Post by Seal » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:58 am

so anyone know how long till someone in england like komplett get in the samsung sata hds? ive bee nwaiting for them for a while now and cant wait much longer!!! :(

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:35 pm

This is kind of OT, but I can't seem to find the PATA version on newegg's website. It was there two days ago, but it's not even listed today. (The 1604N is listed, but out of stock.) There's a pricewatch listing for the drive at newegg, but searching on that part number brings up a refurbished 1614N (which was in stock when I first searched for it, and gone 5 minutes later).

I know other retailers have them, but I wonder if this bodes ill for future Samsung drives at newegg...

Update 11/07: I called newegg and he said they're out of stock on the PATA version and have no ETA date. I wonder if Samsung has halted production of the PATA version?
Last edited by Justin_R on Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:17 am

Justin_R wrote:This is kind of OT, but I can't seem to find the PATA version on newegg's website. It was there two days ago, but it's not even listed today. (The 1604N is listed, but out of stock.) There's a pricewatch listing for the drive at newegg, but searching on that part number brings up a refurbished 1614N (which was in stock when I first searched for it, and gone 5 minutes later).

I know other retailers have them, but I wonder if this bodes ill for future Samsung drives at newegg...
Hmm, all the SP1614N's are gone from ExcaliberPC's site too. Weird...

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:50 am

In positive news, newegg now lists the SATA 160GB 8MB Samsung SP1614C version for $136 shipped.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:15 pm

Justin_R wrote:In positive news, newegg now lists the SATA 160GB 8MB Samsung SP1614C version for $136 shipped.
They added it this morning sometime after my previous post. It wasn't listed there when I went looking for the PATA SP1614N.

Vector

Post by Vector » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:25 pm

I just bought one of these from newegg. I should have it sometime next week, so I'll post a little "review" of it when I get it set up.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:35 pm

Cool, I shall look forward to reading your findings :D

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:40 pm

Newegg has 1614N in stock again, but price has gone up from $110 to $114 to $119. Oh well...

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:07 pm

The PATA 1614N is listed as out-of-stock again at newegg. I wound up ordering 2 of them for $118 each shipped from Monarch Computer. I called to make sure they had stock, and the guy I spoke to said there had been a run on them in the past few days, and that he didn't know anything about future shipments. I'd advise anyone that's thinking of buying one to do it soon.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:56 am

Directron has the PATA version for $107, strangely $3 less than the 2mb version...

sclawson

Post by sclawson » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:33 pm

Pardon me for my general ignorance, but what's so great about the SP1614C and 1614N drives? Is it just the high capacity, or low price per GB, or great performance?

Are they quieter than a Seagate Barracuda IV or V?

I'm not trying to be negative, I really don't know. But you guys seem to be into this drive, so I'm hoping someone might tell me what makes them special.

Thanks! :D

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:54 pm

sclawson wrote:Pardon me for my general ignorance, but what's so great about the SP1614C and 1614N drives? Is it just the high capacity, or low price per GB, or great performance?

Are they quieter than a Seagate Barracuda IV or V?

I'm not trying to be negative, I really don't know. But you guys seem to be into this drive, so I'm hoping someone might tell me what makes them special.

Thanks! :D
You can find answers to your questions by using the search, there's been lots of info posted about these drives, but to sum it up:

1)As quiet as a Barracuda IV

2)Noticeably better performance than a cuda IV,

3)Run cooler than the cuda IV,

4)3 year warranty,

5)Available. (cuda IV is out of production and very difficult to find).