north bridge heatsinks: any experience with these?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chico1st

north bridge heatsinks: any experience with these?

Post by chico1st » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:16 pm

my north bridge (AMD 770) runs hot and the heatsink that came with my board is small.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of these?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6835233021
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6835118014
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6835118214

i just dont know how much heatsink I need to keep my AMD 770 cool in my quiet, low airflow system.
Is a minitower with heatpipes overkill for a northbridge?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: north bridge heatsinks: any experience with these?

Post by frenchie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:58 pm

It really depends how much cooling that chip is worth to you ! Also, it's hard to tell without knowing what motherboard you have.
Maybe a little cardboard duct over the heatsink to direct some airflow over it would be the cheapest option... ?

Back on topic :
ZM-NB47J is pretty decent in my experience, if the chipset isn't overly hot. The mounting system isn't the easiest (small screws (grrrr) and final adjustments are a pain) but it works. If your chipset really gets toasty (if you overclock like crazy for example), I don't think it's your best bet.
The best chipset cooler I've played with is the Thermalright HR-05 IFX. It performs great with little airflow and it fits an 80mm fan if you really want major cooling. The mounting system is a little better, but you need to remove the motherboard. And it's expensive too (24.99 $ on frozencpu).
That Xigmatech you list has a weird mounting system it seems... You should check it before you buy.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:21 pm

frenchie wrote:ZM-NB47J is pretty decent in my experience, if the chipset isn't overly hot. The mounting system isn't the easiest (small screws (grrrr) and final adjustments are a pain) but it works. If your chipset really gets toasty (if you overclock like crazy for example), I don't think it's your best bet. The best chipset cooler I've played with is the Thermalright HR-05 IFX. It performs great with little airflow and it fits an 80mm fan if you really want major cooling. The mounting system is a little better, but you need to remove the motherboard. .
I agree with frenchie. Having used both the ZM-NB47J and the HR-05 IFX myself, go for the HR-05 for the NB. I've used the NB47J on a SB instead (it fits!) but without some airflow it can get a little hot. I imagine using it on a NB with an IGP it would get hotter still.

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:09 pm

In the past I have been known to put the NB cooler on the SB and upgrade the NB with an aftermarket one.
The stock ones always seemed a little undersized. Be watchful of your upgrade blocking pci slots.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:37 pm

+1 for the Zalmans, used both with good results. I've always had a direct path for cooling airflow from an intake fan though, would consider heatpipes in a low-flow setting.

plonk420

Post by plonk420 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:36 am

yeah, i had to get an HR-05 IFX (and got an SLI, too, for sb) for my ill-fated X58 Pro (nb would hit 100C .. and beyond, then shut off). it's great if you have room in your case for it!