Lots of noise from the cpu cooler

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Digmoons

Lots of noise from the cpu cooler

Post by Digmoons » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi, I have a computer with the following config:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad q6600 (socket 775)
CPU Cooler: Intel Stock Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P5QL Pro
RAM: 4 GB DDR 800mhz
Case: Thermaltake Soprano RS 101
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12B With low noise adapter
Graphics card: Powercolor ATI Radeon HD5770
Power Supply: LCPower Arkangel 850w

After some investigation on the noise of my computer , I've found that the cpu cooler is responsible for most of it.
So, I want to ask you, for a alternative to my actual cpu cooler, after some searching, I've found that the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 may be a good choice, but I need your opinion.

Thanks a lot in advance

Best regards.

quest_for_silence

Re: Lots of noise from the cpu cooler

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Digmoons wrote:I need your opinion.

Have you already dialed down the stock heatsink fan? I guess that you may find there are other source of noise.

However, IMO currently there are better alternatives in the market (while SPCR recommended list are plenty of them) than the AC one.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:37 pm

The AC is good, IMO. Not great, but hassle-free, and does the job well. However, for only a few bucks more, there's the Xigamtek HSFs.

If you want to keep the temps down more than that, Coolermaster is a good value (Hyper212, IIRC), but you might want to pick up a different fan (Scythe Slipstream PWM, maybe?). If you have an exhaust fan right behind the CPU socket, Thermalright's HR-01 is worth checking out, too.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:22 am

Any decent 120mm fan cooler can crush Intel stock cooler in terms of moise performance. That said, I'd get a cooler with freedom of fan choice like Xigmatek 1283, TrueSpirit, CM 212+ etc as I can replace the fan if I don't like it or it is broken. Just my two cents.

Digmoons

Post by Digmoons » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks a lot for your replies, I will check your suggestions.