Upgrade suggestions

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KaOSoFt

Upgrade suggestions

Post by KaOSoFt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 am

Hello there.

I really want to upgrade my current setup, but let's just say this time I haven't really checked websites around (last time I lasted a whole month finding my sweet spot), so I come here for help from the experts.

So, here are my comments about it:
  • No idea about cases. If I can keep my current one with the new configuration, fine, if not, please also help out here.
  • Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 looks good, but I haven't really checked around for motherboards.
  • Seasonic X-650 (after certain incident, well, I prefer to upgrade my PSU as well, oh, and by the way [since the thread doesn't mention it], following Seasonic guidelines I managed to get the PSU working again 8))
  • Intel Core i760
  • No idea about coolers either. Let's just say that when I got my current system, I didn't care more about current trends. The Noctua NH-C14 is quite expensive, but it seems to fit well within my case.
  • ATI Radeon HD 6850-6870 (I'm sure I will find some 6850s with good coolers so I can overclock it :D)
  • Corsair XMS3 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1333, though I've read some comments on the Web about certain problem between their XMP and the Gigabyte motherboards. Anyways, all seem to agree that manual tinkering fixes it just as well.
I think that's it for now. A picture of my current setup is in my signature, should you need it for space-planning. Oh, and don't worry about the monitor. I already got a Dell U2311H, but I don't want to use it with my current setup, hehe.

Well, thanks in advance. I'll be expecting your suggestions on the matter.

ilovejedd

Re: Upgrade suggestions

Post by ilovejedd » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:36 am

Since you mentioned it might take you a month, here's what I'd recommend :wink: :

Asus/Gigabyte P67 motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz

KaOSoFt

Post by KaOSoFt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:54 am

ilovejedd wrote:Since you mentioned it might take you a month, here's what I'd recommend :wink: :

Wow, yeah, that CPU model is exactly my sweet spot. Now I have to check very carefully a good board for it (I'm a Gigabyte fan). Though it seems I will need faster RAM to cope with it. :D

Please, comment on other components as well, if you can. Thanks!

boost

Post by boost » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:24 pm

ilovejedd wrote:Since you mentioned it might take you a month, here's what I'd recommend :wink: :

+1 for the board and CPU, there will be a P67-UD3. Here's a list of specs for Gigabyte's new boards. The ram you picked will do fine.

How about a Gigabyte 6850 it's already oc'ed. Gigabyte's coolers on other cards are pretty good, but I haven't seen a review of this model.

Thermalright HR-02 or Silver Arrow are great CPU coolers for use with one or two fans respectively. If the Noctua fits, these will, too.

Do you want to buy a new case?
A new one might lower the noise level, you didn't mention that. Changing your case's fans could be enough to lower the noise.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:29 am

KaOSoFt wrote:
  • No idea about cases. If I can keep my current one with the new configuration, fine, if not, please also help out here.

Your Tsunami is a rather old high end stylish design: considering its value, maybe you can mod it, but if you aim at quietness it's a tough way, I mean.
I guess that you should change the window with a solid panel (if it's possible), every fan, the case feet and try a find out a decoupling mechanism for your noisy hard drives. Moreover it's made by aluminium, a bit prone to resonances and vibrations than steel, so you may add some damping mats to it. May such an extensive work worth for you?
KaOSoFt wrote:
  • Seasonic X-650 (after certain incident, well, I prefer to upgrade my PSU as well, oh, and by the way [since the thread doesn't mention it], following Seasonic guidelines I managed to get the PSU working again 8))

What have you done? However, I've recently bought an X-750 so I've been able to compare it with my already owned M12D: it's way quieter, but to me it doesn't worth the bill (if you already own an M12D). If you change the case with something with separate chambers or blocked PSU upward vents, IMO definitely it won't worth.
KaOSoFt wrote:
  • No idea about coolers either. Let's just say that when I got my current system, I didn't care more about current trends. The Noctua NH-C14 is quite expensive, but it seems to fit well within my case.

Any high performance cooler will fit: choose what you may rather. Thermalrights and Noctuas are very costly, as Prolimatech ones, while if you want to spare some bucks there's Scythe to go for (Yasya, Mugen B, Orochi B, et c.).
KaOSoFt wrote:
  • ATI Radeon HD 6850-6870 (I'm sure I will find some 6850s with good coolers so I can overclock it :D)

I've just tried a couple of EVGA GTS450 FTW in a SLI system (a Raven with the X-750): I mean it could be a valuable option, even if an OCed HD6850 with a good cooler is currently almost a no-brain for a quiet midrange gaming system.

KaOSoFt

Post by KaOSoFt » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:21 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Your Tsunami is a rather old high end stylish design: considering its value, maybe you can mod it, but if you aim at quietness it's a tough way, I mean.
I guess that you should change the window with a solid panel (if it's possible), every fan, the case feet and try a find out a decoupling mechanism for your noisy hard drives. Moreover it's made by aluminium, a bit prone to resonances and vibrations than steel, so you may add some damping mats to it. May such an extensive work worth for you?
Hehe, well, I currently, believe it or not, have a pretty quiet system. Of course, when I'm in gaming mode, I set all fans to 7v (on idle I have them at 5v), and the video card fan to 72% (and 32% on idle, with an Akimbo cooler). In fact, with this setup is that I knew that, what you (on these forums/portal) call silent or quiet, it's really, really quiet, which is nice. I hope to have a quiet gaming system someday, without too much modding. I recently noticed the Fractal Design Define R3, but unfortunately it's too much weight to buy it. I live in Colombia, so the only way to buy things like this is importing it, but something that heavy... really makes the price go up for me.
quest_for_silence wrote:What have you done? However, I've recently bought an X-750 so I've been able to compare it with my already owned M12D: it's way quieter, but to me it doesn't worth the bill (if you already own an M12D). If you change the case with something with separate chambers or blocked PSU upward vents, IMO definitely it won't worth.
Well, the PSU still works just nice, but I don't know, I feel kind of uneasy now that I know what it has withstood. Anyways, this is my last option buy, and I always go with the higher graded PSUs (watt-price affordable) at jonnyGURU. Oh, and by the way, it's not an M12D, it's an old plain M12.
quest_for_silence wrote:Any high performance cooler will fit: choose what you may rather. Thermalrights and Noctuas are very costly, as Prolimatech ones, while if you want to spare some bucks there's Scythe to go for (Yasya, Mugen B, Orochi B, et c.).
I've been also checking the Corsair H50/H70 liquid coolers. Look cool, and seem to have an easy installation (or so it seems).
quest_for_silence wrote:I've just tried a couple of EVGA GTS450 FTW in a SLI system (a Raven with the X-750): I mean it could be a valuable option, even if an OCed HD6850 with a good cooler is currently almost a no-brain for a quiet midrange gaming system.
I just put my eye on this baby. I think, if nothing extraordinary happens, will buy it this weekend.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:46 pm

KaOSoFt wrote:I've been also checking the Corsair H50/H70 liquid coolers.

Check the relevant SPCR review: I mean they should be avoided as noisy (and not an exceptional performer the H50).

Erelyes

Post by Erelyes » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:03 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
KaOSoFt wrote:I've been also checking the Corsair H50/H70 liquid coolers.

Check the relevant SPCR review: I mean they should be avoided as noisy (and not an exceptional performer the H50).
Yep. Unless lack of space and need for speed clash (e.g. ITX gaming build) then avoid. They are great for that purpose but otherwise there are better options.

KaOSoFt

Post by KaOSoFt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:54 pm

The way I see things currently, I think I'll have this build finished by June. Too many stuff to think about, and perhaps a little short on money (US$1200 maximum, currently). I want the best of the best, without compromising much. What I hate is the fact that, given I live in Colombia, I have to import everything, and trust me, that's at least 20% more money. :cry: