static pressure, slipstream and s-flex

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chico1st

static pressure, slipstream and s-flex

Post by chico1st » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:45 am

does anyone know the static pressure or fan curves for an s-flex compared to a slipstream?
I get the feeling that slipstreams have very low static pressure but i dont have an s-flex to compare.

ces

Re: static pressure, slipstream and s-flex

Post by ces » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 am

My recollection is that I have seen testing indicating that neither of them have high static pressure, but people on this board seem to have a collective assessment that s-flex has higher static pressure than the slipstream. I don't know which or who is right on that.

If static pressure is important to you, you should look at the gentle typhoons.

chico1st

Post by chico1st » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 am

are the typhoons quiet as well?
i just feel like my slipstreams pull no air through my dust filters (i know many people say to get rid of dust filters but I like them).

ces

Post by ces » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:32 am

They are quiet... but they do have a different sound. Some people like them, some don't. If you look around on this board you will see varying opinions. Xbits has a good fan review that included the full line of 120mm gentle typhoons... including sound levels at various rpms.

They are impressive fans. Even people that don't like the type of sound they make still seem to respect them.

They run about 30% faster than you would expect for the CFM they deliver... but those extra rpms are being converted into higher static pressure. If you take a look at their blades you can see why. There are no gapping holes between the blades and they attack the air at a shallower angle. That is why they need higher rpms and that is why they can tolerate greater back pressure with less impairment of their CFM.

chico1st

Post by chico1st » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:53 am

wow looking around the forum its very confusing about the gentle typhoons lots of info and much of it contradicts, they sound enticing though.
As a reference point i find the Tricool at 5V too noisy, i get the feeling the GT fits into that catagory.

but im not sure so i have no idea what to do...
are they any low noise 120x38mm fans that you would recommend?

chico1st

Post by chico1st » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:49 am

but people on this board seem to have a collective assessment that s-flex has higher static pressure than the slipstream
when you say this do you think people are talking somewhat higher pressure than the slipstream 20% ish
or double the pressure?