Recommended HTPC/NAS case? (>=2 hdd bays, pico powered)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jeekub

Recommended HTPC/NAS case? (>=2 hdd bays, pico powered)

Post by jeekub » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:53 am

Hi,

I'm intending to build a HTPC doubling up as a NAS and cannot find a small, nice-looking case for it.

I need at least 2 HDD bays and one for optical drive. PicoPSU is highly preferred. Mobo will be embedded AMD E-350, so I don't need space for an aftermarket HS.

I've considered Lian Li PC07, but I find it too big. Also, ATX power supply such as Seasonic x-400 is quite costly. On the other hand, Antec NSK300-65 has great size, but only accomodates two notebook HDD's : (

I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

HFat

Re: Recommended HTPC/NAS case? (>=2 hdd bays, pico powered)

Post by HFat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:19 am

You mean the PC08, right?

Morex has a mini-ITX case with 3.5'' bays that's a good bit smaller. I've never tried one.

Perhaps you could ask one of the shops which sell mini-ITX gear such as logicsupply.com.

Keep in mind there's an affordable pre-built low-power AMD NAS option out there: the Proliant Microserver. It should accomodate a small low-power graphics card if you want more than a VGA output but I've never tried it. Working with it (replacing the fan and possibly the PSU) might not be trivial however.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:50 pm

How about the Apex MI-008 (SPCR review here)?

It seems like there would be room to install 2 x 3.5" HDDs - one down the side as shown on page 4 of the review and one under the ODD bay (or suspend one in the ODD bay if you are not using a DVD/bluray drive).

jeekub

Post by jeekub » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:14 am

I must've overlooked this one! It may be nearly perfect for my needs : ) Thanks a lot, now off to find someone who actually used this case (and a vendor in Poland...).

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:09 pm

jeekub wrote:I must've overlooked this one! It may be nearly perfect for my needs : ) Thanks a lot, now off to find someone who actually used this case (and a vendor in Poland...).
From memory there is at least one system in the General Gallery section of this forum.

Also, it seems that the Apex cases are also sold under the name Aywun (either that or they are very similar), so that might help you in your search.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:16 pm

If you have problems finding a vendor that sells the Apex case you could look for Spire SPM210B or Thermaltake Element Q - same case sold with different names.

jeekub

Post by jeekub » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:03 am

I found it under Thermaltake brand, but it looks sooooo much worse : / But still, given the price point it'll be worth considering.